🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

sillstaw I can't beleave you have not seen Alien. Please goto a video store and buy the collection, life is too short to have never seen alien, all you need to see is the first two..

Yeah, I'm not sure why. Part of the reason is probably that, in my teen years, I was so stuck up and pretentious that I probably thought that mere horror films weren't worth my time. I am more open-minded about them now, though. I've heard good things about the first two, though I'm loathe to watch a James Cameron film. (How it is that James Cameron directed one of the good "Alien" movies and David Fincher directed one of the worst is beyond me. Well, besides all the stories about how doomed "Alien 3" was from the beginning.)

My main reason for saying that was basically to kind of come in and say, "This is what someone who has no previous experience with the franchise thought." Not that my thoughts were all that helpful, but it seemed like it was worth considering.

While I consider Alien to be a classic, Aliens is at best a solid movie, in my opinion. If you ever do get around to watching Aliens, be ready to loathe the word "Newt" for the rest of your life.

Aliens is definitely on par with Alien. Especially the Director's Cut. But they really are two totally different films. Alien is pure horror and Aliens is balls-out action. I think Cameron smartly realized he couldn't repeat what Scott did so he completely flipped the script. He was actually a pretty great director in the 80s.

Aliens is such a master template for action films that parts of it will come across as cliche now, but you have to remember that when it came out those things weren't cliches.

• Like 1

I've had some friends make that point when I've mentioned I don't like Aliens that much. I still enjoy it enough to do a double feature whenever I watch Alien, but it does feel like I've seen it all before. I don't think I actually saw Aliens until the late 90's so I'm sure that had an impact on it.

Cameron was a good director though, all the way up to and including Terminator 2 in my opinion. I still think he's a good technical director I just find Titanic and Avatar to be incredibly boring and predictable.

I hate to say it here but.. Prometheus worked for me.

Probably not a great or profound movie but the special effects, tone and look and feel worked for me.

It is a gorgeous movie. I don't think anyone could find fault with that aspect of it. Or Michael Fassbender, who was fuckin amazing.

The HDTGM review would not beat the Red Letter Media video review so why do it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

ohhhhhhh goddddd. that was literally an exact replica of the conversation that happened in the car when I left this movie at 2:30am on a thursday

still. so. sad.

Anyone want to talk about their hopes for the sequel? Personally I hope it follows Shaw and David's head to the Engineer homeworld and that is the bulk of the film. If someone finds David's head somewhere years later and we only get to hear about what happened, never get a glimpse of where these guys came from, I'll be very sad.

After seeing this in the theater, I told the friends that I was with that I would totally watch a TV show called 'The Adventures of Noomi & Michael Fassbender's Head in Outer Space'.

Rumors are the sequel is called Prometheus: Paradise, so I think we'll definitely see the Engineer's homeworld. Apparently, Spaihts original script explained that the Engineers were angry with us because we killed Jesus (no, I am not making this up), so hopefully they have enough time to come up with a better explanation for the sequel.

After seeing this in the theater, I told the friends that I was with that I would totally watch a TV show called 'The Adventures of Noomi & Michael Fassbender's Head in Outer Space'.

Rumors are the sequel is called Prometheus: Paradise, so I think we'll definitely see the Engineer's homeworld. Apparently, Spaihts original script explained that the Engineers were angry with us because we killed Jesus (no, I am not making this up), so hopefully they have enough time to come up with a better explanation for the sequel.

That was apparently the case. Ridley Scott said in an interview that the engineers had come back to earth and were what equated to Jesus, who when crucified, led to the engineers giving up on the race. Remember in the beginning of the movie where the ceremony takes place and the engineer in the robe kills himself and falls into the waterfall? That was apparently meant to be the start of evolution on the planet started by a religious group within the engineers. One of the theories about the movie is that there were two groups in that race, the religious ones in the beginning who went around creating life on other planets and the military ones who trying to clean up their messes. It all came to a head apparently where it looked like the military found this big cache of black liquid which led to someone getting a it on them and being mutated, leading to the events of the movie.

And I would definitely watch a movie centered on Noomi and Fass-head, since they were the best performers in the movie and to see if it would get nominated for best on screen couple by the MTV movie awards.

I think there's an interesting idea to explore in this notion of looking for God and then not necessarily liking what you find, but I don't think they really got into it as much as I would have liked.

Yeah I've read the Jesus elements and that Scott originally planned to make that much clearer in the film before deciding not to.

All of which makes me wonder even more why the engineers would leave us space directions to their public storage unit. So that when we were technologically capable of traveling there, that we would find the black goo and seed our own worlds as they did?

But if that's the case why was there a big mosaic of the Xenomorph in the goo room? In the crucifix pose, no less.

Is the goo some form of judgment that sympathetically reacts one way or another due to the spiritual intent of the being that interacts with it?

This movie makes me think in circles.

It is a gorgeous movie. I don't think anyone could find fault with that aspect of it.

I saw it in 3D, and it was some of the best I've seen. (Note: I've seen maybe eight and a quarter* movies in 3D.)

I will just say this, though: Ridley Scott made some hyperbolic comments during the run-up to "Prometheus'" release about how much he loved 3D, and might have said that he'd never shoot 2D again. (I'd link to the article, but Google isn't working for me right now.) Which really has me worried for his upcoming "The Counselor," seeing as how the terms "3D" and "Cormac McCarthy" make no damn sense together.

* I started watching "How to Train Your Dragon" in 3D, but I'd already seen it and kind of decided that I didn't need to rewatch it so soon.

I think there's an interesting idea to explore in this notion of looking for God and then not necessarily liking what you find, but I don't think they really got into it as much as I would have liked.

I really wish they would have focused more on this, I think there was plenty of material to explore. As for the thinking in circles I liked that aspect of it although I'm sure a lot of people just consider it lazy writing.

I think there are some movies that work well in 3d but when directors like James Cameron say every movie should be in 3d I just find it hard to imagine they could really believe that. Do they really think Glengary Glen Ross would somehow be better in 3d?

• Like 1

I'm just trying to imagine people watching, say, Derek Jarman's "Blue" in 3D.

"Wow, the blue really comes out at you!"

ETA: It's also fun to, when they say stuff about how 3D is going to become predominant, replace "3D" with "Smell-O-Vision."

The real problem is that there's no better genre than sci-fi when it comes to passing off halfassed unfinished ideas as "mysterious plot elements".

One thing about Prometheus, though; almost all of the shit that drives people crazy about it could be rectified with an excellent sequel script. Except for why that guy thought it'd be a good idea to pet the goo snake.

The only movie I really liked in 3D was Tron Legacy. I thought it looked absolutely amazing. But I'm not a big fan of 3D as I have a slight astigmatism that causes me to go a bit cross-eyed watching 3D.

Except for why that guy thought it'd be a good idea to pet the goo snake.

And that's a perfect example of the Horror half of the movie rearing its head. We need someone to be stupid and touch the snake, so it might as well be the biologist who should absolutely know better.

the lovely comic artist gingerhaze had the same thought

tumblr_m6vobjxPog1qdeo6a.png

• Like 1

The real problem is that there's no better genre than sci-fi when it comes to passing off halfassed unfinished ideas as "mysterious plot elements".

One thing about Prometheus, though; almost all of the shit that drives people crazy about it could be rectified with an excellent sequel script. Except for why that guy thought it'd be a good idea to pet the goo snake.

That's sort of what I was saying earlier, how if the stuff introduced in "Prometheus" actually goes somewhere, it could retroactively make this one better in a way, because we can't go back and NOT think of it as an "Alien" film, and those expectations really hurt it out of the gate. If we don't get "Prometheus 2"/"Alien 0.5" (I know, they're tossing it around, but it still has a chance of NOT happening), then THIS film was a giant wasted opportunity. "Prometheus" was a huge risk, and nearly a year after it's release, we still have no idea if it's really going to pay off.