🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Yeah I've read the Jesus elements and that Scott originally planned to make that much clearer in the film before deciding not to.

All of which makes me wonder even more why the engineers would leave us space directions to their public storage unit. So that when we were technologically capable of traveling there, that we would find the black goo and seed our own worlds as they did?

But if that's the case why was there a big mosaic of the Xenomorph in the goo room? In the crucifix pose, no less.

Is the goo some form of judgment that sympathetically reacts one way or another due to the spiritual intent of the being that interacts with it?

This movie makes me think in circles.

The way I look at it was that there were some of the religious group on the military ship, so they would have a chapel available to them. The goo is sort of like the movie Pandorum, in that movie passengers on a ship heading to a new planet were injected with a special enzyme that would help their body evolve to their new surroundings. Unfortunately, they were woken up early and so their bodies evolved to the dark, metallic environment of the ship and horribly mutated them.

The goo works in a similar way that it evolves bodies to their surroundings within a general body, hence the worms in the dirt of the crucifixion room looked like slimmer facehuggers and the womb alien was a mix between sperm and the worm/facehugger. And when the mohawk got goo on his helmet which melted into his face, he evolved to that immediate environment. Then the final Alien came from the Architect which led to it looking slightly different than the Alien we have seen before.

So I don't think it's based on beliefs, but rather the environment it reacts with.

The only movie I really liked in 3D was Tron Legacy. I thought it looked absolutely amazing. But I'm not a big fan of 3D as I have a slight astigmatism that causes me to go a bit cross-eyed watching 3D.

The Final Destination movies that were in 3D were pretty good because they realized that 3D is a gimmick made for horror. There was blood and gore flying at you all for cheesy goodness.

The Final Destination movies that were in 3D were pretty good because they realized that 3D is a gimmick made for horror. There was blood and gore flying at you all for cheesy goodness.

The last one in particular was actually a pretty good movie, and it ended with 3D versions of all the kills from the previous films in the credits.

The last one in particular was actually a pretty good movie, and it ended with 3D versions of all the kills from the previous films in the credits.

I stood and clapped in the theatre after this one. Final Destination is one of my favorite horror franchises (I own them all and marathon them along with my other favorite, Saw, every October) and 4 was such a mess I was ecstatic that the 5th one finally went back to the original feel of the first two and then the TWIST!! I was such a happy nerd that day.

...but yeah, the 3D. It worked. Staying on topic.

• Like 1

I stood and clapped in the theatre after this one. Final Destination is one of my favorite horror franchises (I own them all and marathon them along with my other favorite, Saw, every October) and 4 was such a mess I was ecstatic that the 5th one finally went back to the original feel of the first two and then the TWIST!! I was such a happy nerd that day.

The fourth one felt like it would have been the first direct-to-video installment. Aside from the 3D, it was completely generic and unimaginative and full of more caricatures and nobodies than ever before. Also, everything would seem to go right back to normal immediately. Boyfriend died horrifically two minutes in the last scene, and everyone's going shopping at the mall in the next. Is it just me, or were the first four pretty much the EXACT same movie? Horrible accident, couple of good deaths, protagonist figures out the design, things kind of slow down and become even more predictable, minor snag, the end. For once, it would have been awesome if the person that figured it all out was the first to go. "Hey guys, I figured out dea...*SPLORCH*". The fifth one doesn't QUITE do that, but it probably had the best story of the sequels and an awesome, awesome twist. I remember thinking while watching it that there sure were a lot of flip phones for 2011...

OK, OK, back to topic...

The 4th one is where the guy gets disemboweled in the pool, right? Ick. DID. NOT. LIKE.

Is it just me, or were the first four pretty much the EXACT same movie?

Not just you. They were the same movie. That's the problem with movies like this (and Saw). The characters become more disposable and interchangeable, while the deaths get more and more complicated.

This discussion is just making me more upset, because this movie had unlimited potential to be awesome, and it ended up a preposterous cluster-fuck.

Glad I am not alone in my love of Saw and Final Destination, two movies who know what their audiences want, stupid people dying horrible deaths.

• Like 1

I have never seen a movie that didn't understand more than Prometheus. The shots didn't make any sense, the reasons why they were there didn't make any sense, and I had no idea who any of the characters were other than angry lady (Charlize Theron), stupid guy (the other scientist), and obviously evil robot (michael fassbender)

Please as a public service to the world at large do this movie and explain it to me. Cause it sucked balls and I want to know how it made money.

I can sum this movie up in one meme:

SeT7DIw.jpg

• Like 2

Lando, your going to love this, you know the history channel the other night had on it Inglourious Basterds. I had to do a double take. as I could not believe it.

btw there is already a thread for this movie, kstrider.

That a step in the right direction for the History Channel.

I agree with what Ryan said, about one of the biggest problems being people knowing it was a prequel and expecting all kinds of answers while also inevitably comparing it to Alien. I'm sure that's why they actually tried, for a number of months to tell people it wasn't actually a prequel but its own movie. The problem was they let the cat out of the bag early in development and all the information that leaked made it pretty clear it was very much related to the Alien movies.

I think once they realized how little they were going to answer in this one they knew people would have exactly the reaction they did.

Full disclosure I, like Ryan, enjoyed this movie as well. While there were some things I had to overlook I found the overall movie really enjoyable, breathtakingly beautiful at times, and am very much looking forward to the sequel(s).

Given that they showed pictures of the engineer in the press releases for Prometheus it would be hard to say the two weren't related.

I am kind of torn on the movie, I think had it been a stand-alone movie with no tie-ins to the Alien series, it would have been a fun big budget popcorn sci-fi "What if Giorgio Tsoukalos was right?" movie. However, as a prequel (and it's supposed to be part 1 of a trilogy) I am starting to see many of the same problems with it that the Star Wars prequels had.

I think every criticism and critique of this movie has already been done. People are just done talking about it.

It was just more lame Lost style mystery setups with no payoffs, from the writers of Lost. Lost had a giant white animal and black amorphous monster, so Prometheus should have a giant white animal and black amorphous monster! Magic goo! Eye worms! Mutant zombie! Magic growing squid! Goo + albino giant = human. Goo + human = eye worm zombie. Eye worm zombie + human = squid. Squid + albino giant = xenomorph.

So every single recent movie has to have that prominent orange+blue color scheme (usually by turning the actor's face orange to stand out then turning the background super blue for contrast), but Prometheus went bonkers with it. Do a google image search for "Prometheus movie" if you don't believe me.

My biggest problem with Prometheus is the same problem I had with Terminator: Salvation...you have all these amazing elements, be it giant robots or alien creatures or whatever.Amazing set pieces. Pretty decent cast. HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT SO BORING!?

See, whatever flaws it may have, I did not find it boring. It's so darn pretty to look at.

Ok there is no mystery how it got made, but how did isir Ridley Scott sign off on this script and screenplay?

So much material for the podcast.

Inconsistant characters (scared of a corpse one minute, cuddling up to space cobras the next)

Terrible old man make-up

The non twist i am your father reveal

Robots that can speak fluent 'alien' but dont translate for the humans

Lets stand really close to the alien crab zombie

Getting lost in a cave when you have a 3d holographic map

Cant spot an android spiking your drink right under your nose

C section alien squid birth requires no physical recovery

Run to the goddam side!!!!!

No ending?

Seriously if this did not have a 250m dollar budget this would be considered one of the worst sci fi movies of all time.

A lot of people who wrote for Lost wrote for this.

Lost: big white polar bear and formless black smoke monster

Prometheus: big white alien and formless black oil

Another sign of a bad movie is the extreme overuse of post production color correction orange/teal scheme. Usually it's limited to turning all the actors' faces orange and the blackground bluish (the laziest possible way to make actors stick out). Prometheus EVERYTHING is glowing blue with glowing orange lights framing the helmets of the actors.

A lot of people who wrote for Lost wrote for this.

Lost: big white polar bear and formless black smoke monster

If we're going to make those kind of stretches than I might as well say

Big Hero 6: big white robot and villain with formless black microbot smoke

• Like 2

If we're going to make those kind of stretches than I might as well say

Big Hero 6: big white robot and villain with formless black microbot smoke

Is it really a stretch when they're both from the exact same writers? If JK Rowling wrote another book featuring grim reapers who sucked out your soul and an undead ghoul for a villain with a pet lizard who needed the hero's body to come back to life, would it really be a stretch to say she was running low on ideas? Would you rebut that comparison with, "Ghostbusters had ghosts too! Checkmate!"?

Let's not lose sight of calling Prometheus a terrible movie.