🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
choochoo_the_wonder_slut

Cloud Atlas?

This is another one of those movies that reached big and I have some respect them for at least trying. I do think it could make for an interesting episode because it is crazy, but also because the process of how it was made is totally fascinating. After all, it is the most expensive independent film of all time. Apparently, just about every studio there is turned this down at some point. The film has two different directors. And it's kind of amazing they got a bona fide A-lister like Hanks to do a non-studio project that was clearly pretty controversial from the start and so insanely ambitious.

I mean, there's plenty to goof on. They try to make white people Asian by giving them the most ridiculous eyejob in the world, they make Halle Berry into the most terrifying white person I've seen since the Wayans in White Chicks, and they make Keith David Korean. But there's something about it that's hard not to respect on some level.

Yo Is This Racist did a week talking about the makeup but that's all they focused on. When I first heard about this movie I got really excited, then when I discovered it was being done by the Wachowskis I became skeptical (I do not like anything about The Matrix films), and after I watched it I didn't know what to say. I did enjoy the NeoSeoul piece and the movie looks great, but wow.

As much as I sometimes enjoy Yo Is This Racist, you can't really count on it for insightful or thoughtful commentary. That's why he's always joking about not doing research. It's just not designed to engage anything on more than a surface level.

No! Nononono, nononono, nononono NO!

I legitimately love this movie and don't think it would fit at all.

And the people complaining about the makeup really missed the point. (I love how they complained about making white people into Asians, but not making an Asian like Doona Bae into a Hispanic or Halle Berry into a white woman.)

I didn't complain about Yo Is This Racist's take approach to this movie because I would expect them to focus on the controversial makeup. Which is why I'd like hdgtm to tackle the plot(s) and acting. And makeup.

And yeah who'd have thought The Media Action Network for Asian Americans would focus on the white-into-asian thing?

And yeah who'd have thought The Media Action Network for Asian Americans would focus on the white-into-asian thing?

I'm just saying, nobody else complained about any of the other makeup, as if the whole of it was "Let's make white actors into Asians!"

I think the idea is that 'yellowface' is a real thing that Hollywood has done for a long, long time, that has hurt a lot of Asians while turning black people into white people really isn't a terribly oppressive thing (though there's probably an argument to be made that any Wayans movie is oppressive to its audience).

It is worth noting that while they did a lot of race switching in Cloud Atlas, they stayed far away from blackface.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this