🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Jerkface

Volume control on the new flash player?

Is there any way to control the volume of the podcasts in the flash player? The old one had volume control. Is this something that can be added?

While I can't speak to the adding side, and I really don't mean to sound like a dick, but why can't you just use the volume control on your device?

While I can't speak to the adding side, and I really don't mean to sound like a dick, but why can't you just use the volume control on your device?

Well I listen on my computer and I have a main volume for the entire PC and then various other things going on that maybe I want to vary the volume of.

If you open the podcast in a separate window, you can always mix the volume in the computers volume mixer. Just right click the speaker icon, and then left click open volume mixer. Each process producing sound will be on there and you can turn them up and down separately. Hope this helps.

If you open the podcast in a separate window, you can always mix the volume in the computers volume mixer. Just right click the speaker icon, and then left click open volume mixer. Each process producing sound will be on there and you can turn them up and down separately. Hope this helps.

I know I can do that, but I'd rather not. That only adjusts either all of firefox/chrome's audio or all of flash's audio and maybe I wanna have multiple flash things running at the same time with different volumes.

Thank you for the suggestions but this thread should be about a volume control on the flash player and not work arounds!

We're looking into adding this as a feature, it's possible but it may take a few days. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Like 2

Anyone else having issue with the player that when you pause it, it won't start playing again. It needs to start back from beginning. Really annoying, as I often have to pause while at work.

I now have to go to soundcloud.com to play all the podcasts. If I play them from earwolf.com, they constantly freeze up and, like the above comment said, I have to start over at the beginning and then fast forward.

We're looking into alternatives for the current players. The issue is, the standard SoundCloud HTML5 widget is too large to fit well on our website without some reorganization of the layout, and that takes time. We're working to get something more usable for everyone as soon as we can.

• Like 1

I have not had issues pausing the podcasts but I do miss the volume controls. Not a huge deal, but it was nice to have.

• Like 1

This a serious issue since it could be a big "turn-off" for new listeners.

This is a good point. I'm glad you guys are working on it.

We're going to be implementing the HTML5 SoundCloud player this weekend, so the more frustrating playback bugs should no longer be an issue.

That said, the SoundCloud player also does not include volume controls, and there are no plans on their end to include them anytime in the short term. Their studies show that most listeners use their computer's master volume controls to listen, so they view it as an unnecessary feature (and sorry, based on my own listening habits, I tend to agree with them).

There's a chance we'll implement something custom down the line, but for now, if no volume controls are a dealbreaker for you, I recommend listening directly on Earwolf's SoundCloud page, where every show we release is reposted. They have a volume control module in the top right corner of their site.

Thanks for your understanding!