🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 58.5 - Minisode 58.5

I once photoshopped this after Paul Scheer suggested it. Just thought you all should know.

paul-scheer-live-discussion-10b.png

Have fun scrubbing that out of your subconscious.

• Like 2

I think that was the universe warning them to release it before their careers died. I can't remember for sure but I think they made it in just under the wire.

If I remember correctly, which is a gamble since I was a hyperactive and confused young boy, this was about midway through their third act, right before falling off the face of the Earth completely. So I'd say, mission accomplished.

I'm really torn! The Spice Girls were just fun pop music- "Spice Up Your Life" and "Stop" are pretty catchy, and I say this unironically. Not that I'm against hearing this group tear this film apart.

I'm really torn! The Spice Girls were just fun pop music- "Spice Up Your Life" and "Stop" are pretty catchy, and I say this unironically. Not that I'm against hearing this group tear this film apart.

I was between 10-15 when they were big and had no interest in their music, yet even just seeing a song title I can hear them singing several lines of it. Say what you will about them but they were good at what they did.

I. See. Ya. Hold tight!

1. I suggest to the jury that several Spice Girls songs are actually fairly respectable and well-crafted.

2. Nipple Spice (my homegirl, sporty spice, Mel C) became a pretty damn good singer with some respectable hits.

3. I remember seeing this and ... wait.. is that Mark McKinney? yes it is!

4. There is a documentary about the movie about a documentary err here it is:

5. Yes, I did go to see this movie and yes I was younger and holding out all hope I would see some sweet T&A (thats what we called tits and ass back in the day).

6. Surprisingly watchable even if its seemed like they shot this and canned it in the space of a week.

1. I suggest to the jury that several Spice Girls songs are actually fairly respectable and well-crafted.

2. Nipple Spice (my homegirl, sporty spice, Mel C) became a pretty damn good singer with some respectable hits.

3. I remember seeing this and ... wait.. is that Mark McKinney? yes it is!

4. There is a documentary about the movie about a documentary err here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4EbNdQpYJc

5. Yes, I did go to see this movie and yes I was younger and holding out all hope I would see some sweet T&A (thats what we called tits and ass back in the day).

6. Surprisingly watchable even if its seemed like they shot this and canned it in the space of a week.

I used to call Mel C. "Toofus Spice" because she had a fake tooth like Jerome the Playa from Martin.

Well sporty spice certainly wasn't picked for her looks so it's not a surprise she was the one who had a recording career after they broke up.

I always thought Sporty was cute. She's actually prettier now than she was then, though.

mel-c-melanie-chisholm-celebrities-at-the-itv_3545290.jpg

• Like 1

Mel C showed up in my city (post-Spice girls) and was entirely shocked when a large and enthusiastic section of her audience was not teenage girls but 20-30 year old men infatuated with her. One held a sign 'Marry Me Mel!'. It made the local paper. She has a 'Sandra Bullock' quality.

Cookbooks! Fractions are used as measurements in many cookbooks. 1/8 of a teaspoon, 1/2 a cup etc. I guess you could write 0.5 of a cup instead but then the person in their head would think, what is point 5? oh it's half. OH wait, that's a fraction. Curses!

I always thought Sporty was cute. She's actually prettier now than she was then, though.

I think she has always been attractive, I just think out of all of them she was chosen more for her voice than a specific look.

Just looked at my original post and I didn't word that the way I meant and it definitely looks like I was calling her ugly

Edited by BagguhMcGuirk

I have several Mel C songs on my ipod to this very day. She was also very adorable on 8 out of 10 cats recently

Dude bro. I absolutely use fractions everyday. It's useful for shopping, figuring out the odds on a poker hand, organizing events, etc. If you are good at math you will absolutely constantly be using fractions because they are so useful.

I am also an Electrical Engineer, so yeah... even more fraction use there.

We learned tons of useless BS in school, but fractions isn't one of them. Try cursive handwriting. That one is a complete waste of time because no one will ever be able to read your cursive.

I think the point of cursive handwriting was because it's easier to read than print, especially if you're writing fast. It's also faster to write in cursive than print. As for fractions, anything I might use them for I just use my calculator on my phone, which I always have on me.

Also, Paul mentioned that he was referring to people who didn't need to use fractions as part of their job. Ofcourse you'll use fractions in everyday life if you use them for your job, whereas if you don't use them for your job you're much more likely to slowly forget what you learned in highschool and just rely on a calculator for all your math needs.

Even if this movie is a piece of shit, it's also enjoyably fucking insane. I mean, there are a bunch of periphery characters making a documentary about the Spice Girls WHILE other characters are trying to write/produce a fictional movie starring the Spice Girls... all taking place inside a movie about the Spice Girls. Also, Stephen Fry and Elvis Costello make cameos within ten minutes of each other and Meat Loaf drives a bus. In England. Fuck 'Inception,' this movie goes deep into your brain.

Also, I enjoy the fact that the movie absolutely refuses to take itself seriously; it knows it's not a real movie, very much modeled after 'Hard Day's Night," but without the talented musicians. It has some genuinely clever one-lines and is more self-referential than an episode of MST3K. It's the anti-'From Justin to Kelly,' which, despite the fact that it is an absolutely unbearable piece of terribly-executed marketing, tries to be an actual romantic comedy... and it is fucking awful and embarrassing to everyone involved.

Also, I've always found the Spice Girls to be kind of... academically intriguing in the history of pop culture; coming between Grunge and the boy band/teen girl onslaught that would take place in the late 1990's. I mean, they were the BIGGEST thing on the planet for just long enough to get this movie made, then it's like the pop culture universe ran out of room for them once NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera all exploded at once. Good lord, I hated that stuff as a kid so much. Looking back on it now, at the power the music industry had to just engineer multi-platinum-selling, cultural phenomenons, I think is pretty interesting.

yay! this is one that I recommended! Spice World was one of my favorite movies as a teen. Aliens, babies, flashbacks/flashforwards. what could possibly go wrong?

mel-c-melanie-chisholm-celebrities-at-the-itv_3545290.jpg

She got rid of the toofus!!!!!!

I have several Mel C songs on my ipod to this very day. She was also very adorable on 8 out of 10 cats recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9WLASLRfas

Wow she looks great in this video. It's also a good thing you linked the video, otherwise this post would have seemed a little strange...

My kids discovered this when it was streaming on Netflix and love it, so if its target was young girls (which it probably was), it's pretty successful.

I want to know who everyone's favorite Spice Girl was?

I definitely went back and forth on Sporty and Baby being my favorites. In 4th grade every. single. girl. (including myself, duh) had a Spice Girl themed birthday party where everyone dressed as their favorite. I alternated between Sporty (baggy wind pants and a sports bra) and Baby (mini dress with high stockings and pigtails) and once I wore a long black skirt as a tube dress and was Posh.

...I could seriously talk about the Spice Girls forever. They are so important to me and the woman that I am today.

I want to know who everyone's favorite Spice Girl was?

I liked Ginger Spice because she had the best clothes, especially in the Spice Up Your Life video (that spiked headband!) I vaguely recall that when they first came out, she was named Sexy Spice, but it was later changed? Did I dream that?

I was in college when they first got big, but believe me, people there still went crazy for them. Including Britney, N'Sync and Backtreet Boys. The late nineties were a confusing time.

I loved Sporty because I was going through a major tomboy phase and I related to her.

Now she is doing Jesus Christ Superstar with Chris Moyles and Tim Minchin in the UK. She is still very successful. I love that!!

This just happens to be playing all weekend on the Sony Movie Channel. Perfect timing! I hope they talk about the fact that their tour bus is basically a Tardis (bigger on the inside).

I always thought Scary was the one that would be the most fun to hang out with.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this