🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

Do you watch more bad movies since you started listening to HDTGM

I'm talking in general, not the ones that they do on the podcast. I find myself watching bad movies just in case they end up doing them on HDTGM.

Definately. I never used to watch bad movies, but this show has taught me how to enjoy them.

I've been watching MST3K since I was a kid, so I've always had a fondness for bad movies. I don't even mind paying to see them, honestly.

• Like 1

Definitely. This and Nathan Rabin's My Year/World of Flops over at The A.V. Club have really caused me to go out into the world of bad cinema and search for those buried treasures.

• Like 1

I've been watching MST3K since I was a kid, so I've always had a fondness for bad movies. I don't even mind paying to see them, honestly.

I have been an adoring nerd for MST3K for the longest time, so that was my first introduction to bad movies. I'm a fan of My Year of Flops and obviously this podcast; so while I do watch more bad movies than I used to before discovering How Did This Get Made, I still only watch such films when prompted from some outside source. I kind of want to have some respectable bad-movie-watcher's opinion first before purposely watching something that I know will be terrible. Will it be terrible in the kind of way that makes it worth watching? Because, you know, I COULD be watching something good. Mad Men AND Futurama start again soon, you guys, I want to know if it's worth watching some Uwe Boll movie before those things.

Working at a movie theater really kicked my bad movie watching into overdrive, as it's a lot easier to want to see something that looks terrible if you don't have to pay for it. Also, as theater managers, we get the luxury of getting to watch them ahead of time and by ourselves, so we're free to dog on them out loud as much as we want. When it comes to awful-looking theatrical releases, it's nice to not have to watch them with an audience that genuinely thinks it's going to be something good that's worth paying for.

I'm also a huge MST3K fan, and a lover of horrible movies. Watching shitty films with friends has been a favorite passtime for me for years. I will say though that HDTGM has given me more consistent fodder to do this.

I like all kinds of movies. Bad ones can be incredibly enjoyable. And I like them in an honest, non-ironic way. I don't want more because of the podcast, but I like how they tackle bad mainstream stuff.

I have actually, me and my friends will throw one on and rip on it. Also watched some films that have been covered.

interesting (but i supposed not surprising) to see other MST3k and "my year of flops" fans are also fans of HDTGM. i like how each has their own unique style. MST3k will openly mock a movie as it airs, "flops" will re-analyze a movie which did not meet expectations and reevaluate it, HDTGM is more of a post-film discussion of what just happened (i feel like it's the kind of discussions i had with my friends after we went to see a movie in the theaters).

what's also interesting is that MST3k also presents the movie. so you don't have a bad movie, and a companion MST3k. you would never watch "warrior of the lost world" and then watch the MST3k episode "warrior of the lost world" (one of my favorites). on the other hand, with HDTGM and "flops" the discussion serves as a companion piece.

actually, before i even knew HDTGM existed, a buddy of mine wanted to watch suckerpunch. i didn't think it would be good, so i decided to check out the reviews. that led to me reading the "flops" article about it. after that, i was sold. and it did not disappoint. and recently i've been watching bad movies that i've heard discussed on HDGTM (superman III, judge dredd, and uh, yeah, street fighter) so maybe i've got a bad movie problem...?

Sign in to follow this