🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
staytrue

Silver Linings Playbook

I can't believe how terrible the script, editing and acting choices were for this movie, especially for all the hype and awards it won. There wasn't a single scene in the entire movie that I didn't think "THIS IS BONKERS."

Yeah, this one won't happen. Way too well-received critically and commercially.

A lot of people seem to think that "I didn't like this movie" = "mock-worthy by comedians"

• Like 5

I watched almost all of the oscar movis this year and out of all of them, I didn't mind Silver Linings Playbook it was a campy safe comedy. an evening's night entertainment. The one I had trouble with was Les Misérables I mean Russell Crowe sings. think about that one for a second. then try watching it. I had to hit the fast forward button a lot to get thought that movie.

That's the movie I'd like to see, shame on you guys for picking on Silver Linings Playbook.

Singing is clearly not Crowe's strong suit, but I feel like his badness was highly exaggerated. It probably seemed worse since Hugh Jackman is such a good singer.

Singing is clearly not Crowe's strong suit, but I feel like his badness was highly exaggerated. It probably seemed worse since Hugh Jackman is such a good singer.

actually, I thought Russell sounded better than Hugh at certain points. I'm 99% sure he was protooled half to death in post (you can definitely hear it), but Jackman's vibrato was a bit too much sometimes.

Speaking of Les Misérables, for me you know who stole the show was Sacha Baron Cohen he was great in this movie. The rest of the movie fast forward.

also did anyone notice the camara work was really odd, they used a lot of zoom in's on the actors faces. almost like 3d house of horrors from SCTV. yet the film wasn't in 3d.

actually, I thought Russell sounded better than Hugh at certain points. I'm 99% sure he was protooled half to death in post (you can definitely hear it), but Jackman's vibrato was a bit too much sometimes.

The big deal about that film was that everything was supposedly recorded live, so who knows. But I've heard Jackman sing live without any fiddling and he's quite good.

also did anyone notice the camara work was really odd, they used a lot of zoom in's on the actors faces. almost like 3d house of horrors from SCTV. yet the film wasn't in 3d.

That was a pretty big complaint among critics. To me, it's not surprising, since "The King's Speech" had equally bizarre choices in cinematography.

Still, it means that "Les Miserables" probably doesn't even have the amusing aspect I've found in old clips from "Cop Rock," where people are breaking out into song and it's clear everybody around them is just sitting or standing around, staring at them.

The big deal about that film was that everything was supposedly recorded live, so who knows. But I've heard Jackman sing live without any fiddling and he's quite good.

by "he" I actually meant Russell Crowe, sorry. I should've clarified. and yeah, Hugh normally sounds really great when he sings, but for some reason he was shaking all over the place in Les Mis. I still enjoyed it a lot, but after a while it was all I heard when he opened his mouth.

This actually led to a LOT of complaints at my theater, because people thought there was a sound problem. You see, because they were singing "live", all of the vocal stuff was coming out of the center channel, like you normally have when a character is just walking and talking in a film. It wasn't completely surrounding you, which they do in most big musicals, because they obviously aren't shooting for realism. Meanwhile, NO ONE thought it was weird when the opposite occurred in "Dark Knight Rises" when Bane's voice seemed to be coming from absolutely everywhere, which really bugged the hell out of me. Hey, let's start a proper Les Mis thread already. Silver Linings is no fun to rag on....

While we're at it, lets also do the first Godfather, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, High Fidelity, Back to the Future, and Jurassic Park.

While we're at it, lets also do the first Godfather, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, High Fidelity, Back to the Future, and Jurassic Park.

I believe that someone did suggest High Fidelity a couple of months ago.

Wow. I'm not interested in bickering or going through the movie scene by scene (Was really hoping Scheer & co. would handle that), but I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people circling the wagons around such an objectively crummy movie. I was hoping to hear at least one other dissenting opinion on this darling of a hit, but so it goes I guess.

Wow. I'm not interested in bickering or going through the movie scene by scene (Was really hoping Scheer & co. would handle that), but I'm genuinely surprised to see so many people circling the wagons around such an objectively crummy movie. I was hoping to hear at least one other dissenting opinion on this darling of a hit, but so it goes I guess.

Regardless of whether you like the movie or not, there's really not a whole lot that would qualify it as something that deserves an episode here. If you've been listening to the shows at all, you'd know that the best discussions come from films containing copious amounts of what-the-fuckery, and that's not really present here. The dance subplot is a little odd, but it doesn't come from out of nowhere, and it figures into the story in a way that makes sense. There are plenty of movies that were critical and commercial darlings that I despise, but can still admit that there wasn't anything necessarily wrong with the acting, the writing, or the direction. They just didn't come together into something that I enjoyed, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to push for the HDTGM crew to devote an hour to "The English Patient" or something. That would mean that they'd have to watch "The English Patient".

Objectively crummy? Let's see this movie:

- Won the AFI Award for Best Movie of 2012

- Has an 8.0 on IMDB

- 92% positive on Rotten Tomatoes with 88% of users liking it

- Nominated for Best Picture and 7 other Academy Awards

Yup, sounds like an "objectively crummy" movie to me.

For the record, I haven't even seen it, it doesn't sound like a movie I would love, but this is a very odd suggestion for this podcast.

Movie was lame. Not HDTGM worthy though.

I don't think anyone is defending the film's content, they're simply explaining why this type of movie doesn't really work for the show. No one is saying you have to like the movie. But I've found a good HDTGM movie really does have to beg the question, how did this get made? In the case of Silver Linings Playbook - even if you don't like it - I don't think that question is all that hard to answer.

I suggested this movie because it had a convoluted story, it was full of WTF moments, plot twists that didn't make sense, one dimensional characters and a ton of ham-fisted dialogue.

I didn't suggest this movie because I disliked it (I don't think I ever mentioned my opinion on it beyond BONKERS). I made the suggestion because as I was watching it I could almost hear the HDTGM crew laughing and tearing it apart - It was that obviously flawed and ripe for comedy.

With all of the big names, hype and awards I can understand why some of you would find it hard to believe if you haven't seen the movie, but the way this film unravels under even a slightly critical perspective has got the potential to be a comedy gold mine.

That said, I completely understand why the crew would want to avoid poking fun at such a well received and revered movie. After all, this is just my suggestion.

Sign in to follow this