🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Awesome suggestion. Despite loving this movie when I was in fifth grade and seeing it twice in the theaters, I had completely forgotten about it. I also think it's amazing that in the UK they changed the name to "California Man."

I came looking here specifically for this movie, it's one of my absolute favourite bad movies. Pauly Shore, Sean Astin and Brendan Fraser in a high school hi-jinx prehistoric comedy?? YES PLEASE

• Like 1

Don't see any reason why they can't get Pauly Shore to guest star on the podcast. he's doing hawaii five'o now along with john lovett's. I wish I was joking here. Mind you, would you really want them on even if they could get them on.

I also think it's amazing that in the UK they changed the name to "California Man."

It is a weird title if you think about it. We lived in LA when I was a kid so I understood it, but were non-locals expected to know where Encino was? Or that it was a place, not an adjective in Spanish? Burbank, which has Disney HQ and an airport, has more name recognition. What's in Encino?

It is a weird title if you think about it. We lived in LA when I was a kid so I understood it, but were non-locals expected to know where Encino was? Or that it was a place, not an adjective in Spanish? Burbank, which has Disney HQ and an airport, has more name recognition. What's in Encino?

I think I thought when I was a kid that Encino was kind of like Jurassic, like a time period in history. I couldn't believe when I found out that it's literally just a neighbourhood in California. Makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 2

Encino Man

One of my all-time favorite bad movies. I bought the guitar sheet music because of the sweet sweet 90's electric guitar licks. I didn't know what era I lived in until the movie's tagline informed me that this was when the "Stone Age Meets the Rock Age" Here's your pitch meeting:

• Brendan Fraser + Pauly Shore + Sean Astin = Top-level talent
  • Pauly Shore makes noises and wears mesh shirts
  • Produced the dance craze the "Monkey/Encino Man"
  • Basically the same movie as "Earth Girls Are Easy"
  • Funk-metal supergroup the Infectious Grooves as themselves, including Metallica's Robert Trujillo, playing a high school prom
  • Caveman + High School + Homemade Pool = Prom Party
  • Driving a car on two wheels
  • Objectified women and racial/ethnic stereotypes
  • The villain is more relatable than the main character
  • The caveman is more relatable than the main character
  • BONUS: You can talk about how different this movie would have been if Nicolas Cage (who was in consideration) had been the caveman instead

To be fair, this along with Airheads are probably Brendan Fraser's most watchable movies.

To be fair, this along with Airheads are probably Brendan Fraser's most watchable movies.

Have you ever watched 'The Quiet American'? Brendan Frazier actually plays a serious role and he does fantastic in it, very surprisingly. It's a great movie.

Anyways, on to the suggestion topic, I would also like to see this get made into a HDTGM episode... HDTGM should most certainly do at least one Pauly Shore movie.

I think I thought when I was a kid that Encino was kind of like Jurassic, like a time period in history. I couldn't believe when I found out that it's literally just a neighbourhood in California. Makes absolutely no sense.

Right, but that's how they name them. Neanderthal is also named after a place. They are named after their place of first discovery. The joke is how pedestrian a place it is to make such a discovery.

Sign in to follow this