🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
zeecheree82

Temptation - Tyler Perry

Retta is very funny, I just think she wasn't right for that episode. But I don't want to start SpiceGate all over again!

I thought Retta was the perfect fit for that episode. It was kinda refreshing to have someone on the show who hated the movie to the point of not being able to watch it. I know a lot of people didn't really care for that, but in my opinion that's just all the more reason for her to redeem herself.

• Like 1

Tyler Perry shouldn't be off limits for the show, but this particular movie would/should devolve into an anger fest (I imagine) about the "twist" ending. And rightfully so.

How about waiting for the next Madea movie "Ernest Saves Madea's Christmas", complete with Larry the Cableguy? Noway that can't be fun-bad rather than evil-bad.

Tyler Perry shouldn't be off limits for the show, but this particular movie would/should devolve into an anger fest (I imagine) about the "twist" ending. And rightfully so.

How about waiting for the next Madea movie "Ernest Saves Madea's Christmas", complete with Larry the Cableguy? Noway that can't be fun-bad rather than evil-bad.

A lot of people disagree with me, but I think "Madea Scared Stupid" was the high point of the series.

• Like 2

Just want to point out that Good Deeds is on Netflix instant and it seems like it has a very similar plot.

Okay, I just saw this, and seeing as no one here has directly said they have seen it, let me bring in the perspective.

100% Absolutely Positively NEEDS to be Done. I went in knowing the twist ending, and it still was an insane ride. Brandy's character's conflict is resolved basically in 10 minutes and she is not brought back until the end of the movie to reveal the twist. Kim Kardashian's role was SPECIFICALLY written for her, and yet she still serves no purpose. While in a standard film, the villain would go from a friendly guy to evil, this movie just jumps back and forth. The woman playing our main character's mother is fantastic, the woman who played Fran Drescher's mom in The Nanny is in this movie as comic relief, French Vanessa Williams with the greatest last lines ever, this NEEDS to be the first Tyler Perry movie

• Like 2

Okay, I just saw this, and seeing as no one here has directly said they have seen it, let me bring in the perspective.

100% Absolutely Positively NEEDS to be Done. I went in knowing the twist ending, and it still was an insane ride. Brandy's character's conflict is resolved basically in 10 minutes and she is not brought back until the end of the movie to reveal the twist. Kim Kardashian's role was SPECIFICALLY written for her, and yet she still serves no purpose. While in a standard film, the villain would go from a friendly guy to evil, this movie just jumps back and forth. The woman playing our main character's mother is fantastic, the woman who played Fran Drescher's mom in The Nanny is in this movie as comic relief, French Vanessa Williams with the greatest last lines ever, this NEEDS to be the first Tyler Perry movie

I'm glad you were able to experience the madness that is this movie. I mean, Tyler Perry has made a career out of playing an elderly woman, yet this is by far his most insane movie.

• Like 2

I'm glad you were able to experience the madness that is this movie. I mean, Tyler Perry has made a career out of playing an elderly woman, yet this is by far his most insane movie.

I literally could not believe what was going on the screen. Even before they went into the whole 'morality play', I was just in a state of wondering if people talk like this, especially when it came to the comic relief/only white woman in the movie, Fran Drescher's mom

SPOILERS****

I also really need to talk about the ending. I know everyone here talked about the synopsis of it, but I need to talk about what was shot. To have our main character literally hobbling into a pharmacy to get HIV medication from her ex-husband and then hobble out of there while seeing him with his new wife and child was so depressing and so upsetting that I just can't even deal with it. The bo-bo scoring in this movie didn't help either.

I also really need to talk about the ending. I know everyone here talked about the synopsis of it, but I need to talk about what was shot. To have our main character literally hobbling into a pharmacy to get HIV medication from her ex-husband and then hobble out of there while seeing him with his new wife and child was so depressing and so upsetting that I just can't even deal with it. The bo-bo scoring in this movie didn't help either.

Yeah, this ending was SO UPSETTING. I talked about it earlier in the thread, but the very fact that they chose to use a different actress was just nuts. It's not difficult to see why some folks think Tyler Perry has Women Issuesâ„¢.

Oh so it was a different actress from the bulk of the story. I thought they had the counselor talking to the couple like William FIchtner in Mr. & Mrs. Smith where you just heard his voice but never saw him. That could have made for a better twist if they did that then spun around to reveal that the counselor and the woman being talked about were the same person.

Also, can we talk about the part where she goes to her apartment and her mom is there with people from her church doing like an adultery exorcism?

Oh so it was a different actress from the bulk of the story. I thought they had the counselor talking to the couple like William FIchtner in Mr. & Mrs. Smith where you just heard his voice but never saw him. That could have made for a better twist if they did that then spun around to reveal that the counselor and the woman being talked about were the same person.

The only thing that would have made the ending better is if the marriage counselor turned around was revealed to be Madea.

• Like 3

Also, can we talk about the part where she goes to her apartment and her mom is there with people from her church doing like an adultery exorcism?

I must have missed that episode of Intervention.

Now that I've made it through the thread I feel obligated to go watch this thing. Let me dig through the inter-webs to see if I can find this without having to pay for it...

• Like 1

I don't want to rant endlessly about this (though I clearly could) but I'd also like to talk about the totally baffling poster for this movie

6pvze9A.jpg

Now here's the thing, the 'temptation' of the title is Robbie Jones, as he's serving as a temptation to Jurnee Smollett. Yet the poster features what I assume is the naked form of Jurnee Smollett. Shouldn't the poster have Robbie Jones naked on it? How does this poster make any sense?

It was probably a representation of Eve and first sin. Using "Tyler Perry Logic" or TPL it would be safe to say that he would feel she was the one to first give into temptation, break her marriage vows, and do all the other horrible shit she does. So according to TPL, she is the embodiment of giving into temptation.

It was probably a representation of Eve and first sin. Using "Tyler Perry Logic" or TPL it would be safe to say that he would feel she was the one to first give into temptation, break her marriage vows, and do all the other horrible shit she does. So according to TPL, she is the embodiment of giving into temptation.

But she's still not the object of temptation, which is what the poster is selling. But yeah, TPL is not our Earth logic.

What really gets me about the poster is that it's advertising an ostensibly Christian movie that warns against wanton sex by showing a sexy naked woman. It's like sneaking a Chick tract into a Playboy magazine and expecting it to be taken seriously. The Bible quote doesn't help (especially since I barely noticed it until now).

Also, good work to whoever decided to impose the big T from the title over it all. Never mind that it doesn't fit the picture and makes it look like a cheesy Photoshop.

• Like 2

What really gets me about the poster is that it's advertising an ostensibly Christian movie that warns against wanton sex by showing a sexy naked woman. It's like sneaking a Chick tract into a Playboy magazine and expecting it to be taken seriously.

Exactly!

Another thing (Again, Major Spoilers), but how does the married couple not realize that their therapist is Judith?

She isn't some random person who is telling a story to this couple with marital issues, she was hired by these people, and begins this story with her name. In reality, the conversation would go like

Judith: Hello, I'm Dr. Judith Whatevermylastnameis, so tell me about you two...

(Conversation that happens in the script, Judith begins her story)

Judith: Let me tell you a story, about my sister. Judith was her name...

Woman: Wait, her name was Judith? But your name is Judith? Also, as someone who is claiming to be her sister, you seem VERY absent from her life?

Hell, THE SETUP DOESN'T EVEN WORK.

Hell, THE SETUP DOESN'T EVEN WORK.

As someone from the south, I un-ironically love when people start sentences with "Hell,..."

Props to you good sir.

• Like 1

Speaking of the poster, this is the only good thing to come out of that movie: http://www.vulture.c...ng-peeples.html

That is fucking ingenious and I give props to Perry for liking the idea enough to want a poster for himself, because there isn't really anything being taken away from his movie as you have to really look for the image and it was only in a handful of markets. I never realized that there was a scripture verse on the poster, which just makes this movie that much more ham fisted.

Okay, reading that Bible quote and using it in the context of the movie only confirms what I've been thinking all along; The lesson of the story doesn't work because of Brandy Norwood's character.

In all honesty, I would be okay with the idea that we end with Judith getting HIV and seeing that she has to suffer some consequences because of what she did. They could have conveyed that poorly, but I still would understand the intent. However, they can't convince me that Judith's suffering is justified WHEN BRANDY'S CHARACTER IS IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION AS HER. Brandy/Melinda has HIV, and even places the blame on HERSELF for staying with Harley knowing that he was sleeping around. However, in the brief glimpse of her we see in the end of the movie, she is still dressed the same, she looks exactly the same, and to our knowledge, isn't as church-going as Judith now. So even though she considers herself at fault for getting HIV, Brandy is able to live a normal life while Judith's life is hell?

Okay, reading that Bible quote and using it in the context of the movie only confirms what I've been thinking all along; The lesson of the story doesn't work because of Brandy Norwood's character.

In all honesty, I would be okay with the idea that we end with Judith getting HIV and seeing that she has to suffer some consequences because of what she did. They could have conveyed that poorly, but I still would understand the intent. However, they can't convince me that Judith's suffering is justified WHEN BRANDY'S CHARACTER IS IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION AS HER. Brandy/Melinda has HIV, and even places the blame on HERSELF for staying with Harley knowing that he was sleeping around. However, in the brief glimpse of her we see in the end of the movie, she is still dressed the same, she looks exactly the same, and to our knowledge, isn't as church-going as Judith now. So even though she considers herself at fault for getting HIV, Brandy is able to live a normal life while Judith's life is hell?

Oh but see, Brandy stood by her man. She's still a bad person because only bad, dirty dirty people get HIV, but she didn't cheat on her disgusting boyfriend who is apparently infecting people with HIV on purpose, so she got a disfigurement pass.

• Like 2

Also, can we talk about the husband? When he realizes that Brandy's abusive, HIV-ridden ex is now with Judith, he rushes off to save her. Again, in a NORMAL movie, he would have been in love with her still, which is WHY he saved her, and decided to stay with her through all of the trauma she suffered. But we are forced to realize that after he saved her, he still left her, and maybe I'm just cynical, but I'm pretty sure that the ONLY reason he left her was because she had HIV.

Fucking Dick.

• Like 2

So this movie is basically Trapped in the Closet?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this