๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—

The new film based on Stephanie Myers book, she of Twilight fame. After reading this review from Twitch, I came straight here to recommend this movie get a working over. I know it's still in the theater, but it may be so bad, you want to think about doing it now, instead of when it hits Netflix.

ย 

http://twitchfilm.co...ng+%28Twitch%29

This has a 12% on RT right now. Just to contrast, GI Joe Retaliation has a 29%. It sounds like this is amazingly bad. Which kinda bums me out a bit, since I like Niccol as a director and was hoping he could make something interesting out of this. Though I will probably still enjoy it for it's amazing badness.

(Combine if there's another thread)

ย 

How in the world did this film slip by the scrutinizing eyes of the HDTGM community?

ย 

http://www.rottentom.../the_host_2013/

ย 

With an impressive score of 9% on the Freshness Scale, this movie is perfect. Just watch this trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOP2zX6KuD0

ย 

Clearly trying to ride off that dwindling Twilight craze and the popularity of something like The Hunger Games. This movie is all kinds of pandering bullshit haha.

It was a relief to discover that Meyers' name doesn't seem to have any drawing power outside of the "Twilight" franchise, at least as far as films are concerned. This thing taaaaaaaaaanked. We had it for a few weeks at my theater, and while I saw just bits and pieces here and there, it seemed like EVERY part I saw was just the girl talking to the voice in her head, which was kind of funny.

When they do movies that are still in theaters I really prefer it to be something I'd actually want to go pay to see.

Did anybody else notice that the first two positive critic quotes they put in the trailer were both from the same person? Also, neither said the movie was good per se, just that it was "original" and "intensely passionate"

• Like 1

Horrible acting, dumb storyline, a girl who gets taken over by an alien but you can still hear her talk to the alien in her own head. she has a pathetic country accent too. it was terrible.

floatby82. that is the big problem I have with this film. I hate it when they have characters talk to the screen.

What is the technical term for that, Monologue? that was one of the annoying things with dune I had. every character had it's own in Monologue.

ย 

"He will know his ways as if born to them" but this film was worse for that for some reason. it could of been a good movie if they cut out all of that but we will never know.

ย 

The only movie i ever liked that used this correctly was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. oh and Goodfellas. but boy if you don't do that right it will mess up a film. I even like blade runner with the Monologue.

Even my 15yo daughter who read the books walked out of the theater saying "well, that was garbage." Is the story based on a young woman's desire for a socially acceptable excuse for having two boyfriends? And the voice over- wow. I began to suspect that the movie was just a rouse to put a theater full of people to sleep so they could be easily pick pocketed or diddled.

This episode MUST be made...

Movies like this, "Beautiful Creatures" and "Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: Ecks Vs. Sever: Electric Boogaloo" are mentioned in a lot of year-in-review articles talking about how young-adult books aren't automatically box-office gold.

ย 

I think the main problem is that some people in Hollywood are assuming the thing that made the "Twilight" books popular were that they were young-adult books, and thus it would work for any other young-adult novel. They were that, but they were also popular enough with adults who should've known better, and they also had a lot of fans whose passion for the series was really intense. Whereas really, who cares that much about "Mortal Instruments?" I'm sure it has fans, but it wasn't tearing up sales charts, and if it's not a book people are familiar with, you have to sell it to everyone else with points beyond "It's a lot like 'Twilight!'" (Sadly, if my assumptions are correct, look for "50 Shades of Grey" to do boffo business.)

• Like 1

I must agree with stillstaw's analysis. It's the same kind of mentality that made TV executives look at a series like 'Lost' and think that any serialized genre show would equal millions of viewers every week. Just because there is a continuous story and "nerd" elements does mean people will tune into 'The Cape' or 'Terra Nova.'

I must agree with stillstaw's analysis. It's the same kind of mentality that made TV executives look at a series like 'Lost' and think that any serialized genre show would equal millions of viewers every week. Just because there is a continuous story and "nerd" elements does mean people will tune into 'The Cape' or 'Terra Nova.'

ย 

Ugh, Terra Nova. How do you make a show about living with dinosaurs and then never have any dinosaurs?

• Like 1

ย 

Ugh, Terra Nova. How do you make a show about living with dinosaurs and then never have any dinosaurs?

Nerrrrrrrddd! Sorry, I didn't mean it. I...I actually watched "The Cape"...

• Like 1

Just saw this, and it would be perfect for the show. So much to discuss. I had no idea until the end credits that this is the work of Stephanie Meyer. She seems to have a thing for writing female protagonists with two boyfriends. I think she starts there and works her way backwards constructing the "story".

Sign in to follow this