🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 59 — Spice World

This episode honestly bummed me out a little. After the positive forum reactions I thought the gang would have at least had a little more fun with it. but everyone just seemed mad.

But after my supervisor left for lunch, I did start blasting Spice Girls and did Scary's shoulder dance until I felt better.

• Like 3

Felt like they were trying too hard. Oh, well. On to the next one...

This episode honestly bummed me out a little. After the positive forum reactions I thought the gang would have at least had a little more fun with it. but everyone just seemed mad.

But after my supervisor left for lunch, I did start blasting Spice Girls and did Scary's shoulder dance until I felt better.

I feel ya on that. I wish they'd engaged with it for what it was, rather than ridiculing silly plot points that were obviously meant to be silly. It seemed like only June really gave it a fair shot.

That being said, this was still funny. I was highly amused by how angry Retta was for being asked to watch the movie.

• Like 1

I am so very tickled that Paul saw this pile of waste in the theater on his 22nd birthday.

I have this weird image in my head that Jason lives in a Kaczynski-style shack in the woods somewhere with no electricity or contact with the outside world, and he has some secret exit that he covers with fake foliage. I totally get his disinterest in Twitter (I have one but never check it), but it seems like he's always being told about things going on in his own career that he should already know about. Between his comments here and St Clair's revelation on Whooch that he's super secretive about his address, I think I might be onto something.

I love it when June gets sincere and proclaims that she actually enjoys a certain part or thinks a particular actor did a good job.

• Like 1

I have this weird image in my head that Jason lives in a Kaczynski-style shack in the woods somewhere with no electricity or contact with the outside world, and he has some secret exit that he covers with fake foliage. I totally get his disinterest in Twitter (I have one but never check it), but it seems like he's always being told about things going on in his own career that he should already know about. Between his comments here and St Clair's revelation on Whooch that he's super secretive about his address, I think I might be onto something.

Both him and the Unabomber have crazy beards...

I love it when June gets sincere and proclaims that she actually enjoys a certain part or thinks a particular actor did a good job.

I do too! I think that's one of my favorite parts of the podcast, actually. Hearing her quiet, "eh, yeah" when Paul asked if she would recommend it made me smile.

There was a recent interview that she did where they asked her if she had seen Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 yet, and her response was, "I have not seen it yet, but I will be seeing it, don’t you worry. The sad thing about me and this podcast is how much I actually enjoy seeing these movies and how I would probably have seen them anyway. I genuinely enjoy theTwilight series. There’s a lot of movies we watch where like I’ve seen them already and [i’m] having to watch them for a second time happily."

Retta's description of how she barely watched the movie or paid attention was the best thing about the episode.

I checked out on this in 10 mins. This is a tough movie to have too much fun with, when it doesn't give you much outside of an endless cavalcade of non-sequiter slapshtick. Especially when you have 5 obnoxious leads.

Maybe if they had done this movie much earlier, they would have had a bit more fun with it. They're coming hot off of a steaming Boll, they need to re-engage with one of those good crazy movies (i.e. Crank, Roadhouse, Punisher Warzone).

Agree 100% I did feel bummed out. But I do think that there is a reason, and that is they were treating it like literal garbage when a lot of people on the forum actually love this movie, myself included. The idea of Spice World with Retta kinda set the bar high, and because I think the film was meta in many ways, I was anticipating a so-so episode (but yeah, this was probably a low in my view, only because it's the first time I take the Amazon opinions over theirs)

With that being said, I did think it was complete and utter sacrilege when they called 'From Justin to Kelly' better than this, and that Jason was wrong with dissing the ballad. It was perfect to begin it with 'Too Much', and perfect to end with 'Spice Up Your Life'!

• Like 1

With that being said, I did think it was complete and utter sacrilege when they called 'From Justin to Kelly' better than this, and that Jason was wrong with dissing the ballad. It was perfect to begin it with 'Too Much', and perfect to end with 'Spice Up Your Life'!

Wow, I missed that part. No way was From Justin to Kelly better than this. That's some serious crazy talk.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I have no real sentimental connection to the Spice Girls but I didn't find this movie fun or funny at all. They could've done a fun movie about them with a plot that made some sense and was truly feminist but this was just a muddled pile of crap. The music/dance scenes were boring and the confusing documentary/fictional film metaplot or whatever was confusing at best...

How much you wanna bet June slapped Paul upside the head after the recording for calling Ginger Spice old? Cause she was PISSED at that.

Ok, for me, this movie was a mix of three different things:

1) A vehicle to release new songs. I think that Spice Up Your Life song was new when the movie came out.

2) A movie so that the Spice Girls' fans (8-13 yr olds) could see their heroes on the big screen

3) A British propaganda film. That's why you have all of those confusing cameos by Hoskins, Moore, and Elton John. I think Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry were doing their TV show at the time, so they would have been big stars in England as well. I think the Brits really enjoy them, that's why they were a part of the Olympic opening ceremonies.

Maybe it's because I have no real sentimental connection to the Spice Girls but I didn't find this movie fun or funny at all. They could've done a fun movie about them with a plot that made some sense and was truly feminist but this was just a muddled pile of crap. The music/dance scenes were boring and the confusing documentary/fictional film metaplot or whatever was confusing at best...

I don't think it should be a sentimentality thing. I'm a 17 year old guy (3 years old when this came out) and only remotely heard of these girls, but I still had a crapload of fun watching and obsessing over them (To the point that I want to listen to all of their albums, because they actually are good) Like June said, there was an on-point energy that made it fun to be in Spice World

Speaking of June, I was also disappointed that this episode didn't give her a chance to shine with a feminist appraisal, Barb Wire-style. I'm sure she had a lot of insight, it's just that everyone else drowned her cheers out.

• Like 4

3) A British propaganda film. That's why you have all of those confusing cameos by Hoskins, Moore, and Elton John. I think Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry were doing their TV show at the time, so they would have been big stars in England as well. I think the Brits really enjoy them, that's why they were a part of the Olympic opening ceremonies.

I think #3 is partly right, but it was more of a Cool Britannia thing that sprung out of Britpop. It was a celebration of quintessentially British things. So the movie is just stuffed to the gills with famous British people for the hell of it, basically. Fry & Laurie are considered national treasures in the UK, so it's not surprising they'd be included (I'm pretty sure their show was off the air some time before this came out though).

Speaking of June, I was also disappointed that this episode didn't give her a chance to shine with a feminist appraisal, Barb Wire-style. I'm sure she had a lot of insight, it's just that everyone else drowned her cheers out.

Fuckin', THIS. As much as I love Zouks and Paul riffing, I regularly miss June being given the chance to provide her perspective. If I was gonna muster up one general complaint on the show, it would be that. I always hope a female guest will remedy the problem, but it only does some of the time...

• Like 8

Fuckin', THIS. As much as I love Zouks and Paul riffing, I regularly miss June being given the chance to provide her perspective. If I was gonna muster up one general complaint on the show, it would be that. I always hope a female guest will remedy the problem, but it only does some of the time...

Also, maybe I'm the only one, but did anyone else think it was crazy that they spent more time discussing the Racial implications of Scary Spice over the Feminist nature of Spice World in General? I literally wondered what is happening!?!

Will y'all still like me if I get like, super real for a minute?

I kinda got a little choked up on my drive home today thinking about this exact thing. See, I grew up in a super fundy baptist evangelical environment that I really fear that I wouldn't have been able to have gotten out of if it wasn't for the Spice Girls. I was 8 when I bought that first cassette tape and they were for certain the only people in my life who were ever going to tell me that being a girl is awesome and that you can do anything you want. I didn't know that a girl had any other place than behind a man until the Spice Girls told me otherwise. And I never ever forgot it.

I'm really glad June was able to talk about how a girl baby is a rare thing in film and express that it really touched her. I don't know, I guess I was just bummed to hear everyone kind of shitting on the Girl Power thing because it really is important to me.

Okay, definitely got way more emotional typing this up than I thought I would. So, I'm going to go cry it out for a minute and regret posting this and fret about whether or not to delete it for a while. You can go back to posting memezoukases now.

• Like 13