🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 59 — Spice World

I'm really glad June was able to talk about how a girl baby is a rare thing in film and express that it really touched her. I don't know, I guess I was just bummed to hear everyone kind of shitting on the Girl Power thing because it really is important to me.

I did genuinely love that moment, and to me, that is what our fucking Spice World Podcast should be. The Spice Girls are all about Girl Power (which I love from a band standpoint) and this movie, for better or worse, wanted to get that across. THAT should have been the discussion. If ever there was an episode that deserved a second try, it's this one.

I definitely would have liked a more in-depth discussion of the Spice Girls' feminism, whether it was praise or critique. That's such an intrinsic part of their image and legacy that it was kind of weird to see it ignored or only briefly acknowledged.

• Like 4

I thought the episode was fun, but count me in the camp that thought they were way too hard on the movie, or just didn't approach it the right way. I mean, right in the intro, Paul calls it "A Hard Day's Night without the irony". There are a lot of things that A Hard Day's Night has that Spice World doesn't, but I don't think irony is one of them. I also think that Retta (whom I love, and guessed/hoped would be the guest in the 58.5 thread) was wasted with the "I couldn't be bothered to pay attention" viewing experience, which pretty much anybody could bring to the table. I hate to sound unappreciative of a guest's time and effort, but if you've agreed to appear on podcast which is specifically about bad movies, I don't think that paying attention for 93 minutes is too much to ask.

• Like 6

See, I grew up in a super fundy baptist evangelical environment that I really fear that I wouldn't have been able to have gotten out of if it wasn't for the Spice Girls.

Damn Shannon, I FEEL you on this. Not necessarily the spice girls but music in general. Anything that offered a different perspective and an escape appealed to me greatly when growing up around a similar environment to what you described.

And I thought Retta and June would have gone to town on girl power, but....it just didn't really happen.

• Like 2

And I thought Retta and June would have gone to town on girl power, but....it just didn't really happen.

It's almost like they all were treating the Spice Girls like every other female singer in America, with June casually reminding them that Feminism played a huge role in not just Ginger's, but the band's image as a whole. They spent too much time on the lack of story and not enough on what they were trying to do with it, which is, in fact, upsetting.

y'all are some buzzkills

"stupid butts" is all i really needed from a podcast today

I don't mean to switch topics, but did anyone else find it weird that no soundclips were pulled for this episode? I mean, even June was complaining and Paul seemed to try and casually ignore it.

How Did This Get Made?

June (about 1hour and 2 mins into the episode) uuuhhhhhh guys. i think we're forgetting that the Spice Girls were really popular.

CASE CLOSED!

it's been a while since i last saw this film (i too went to the cinema, and have seen it since) but was jennifer saunders costume more of a gag in line with patsy and edina/absolutely fabulous/vapidity of fashion etc. etc.and isn't that what this whole movie is all about?

although i give MASSIVE props to the "chev chelios is an alien baby" theory. That's cannon as far as I'm concerned.

I was excited about this movie from last weeks film, in the name of the king.. then it quickly hit me when I was watching this movie, it's a christmas special loaded up with a rolodex of british actors from the bbc. Jonathan Ross who's a talk show host in the uk., Jennifer Saunders from ab fab. it's funny because babe space shows up on her show when ever they do a special. Alan Cumming, Dominic West you guys may know him from the wire, then the Asian chick who's from torchwood. also shows up at times in doctor who. but really what as the point of pointless cameos. They may as well of given them there pay check as they showed up in the movie. Ohh look it's Elton John and here you go good sir...

Richard E. Grant was ok in this movie but i still enjoyed his work, even if this wasn't his best.

I just remembered that Richard E Grant played the 10th Doctor in Curse of the Fatal Death, which explains why the Spice Girls tour bus is also a Tardis!

/end nerd out

• Like 2

I saw this in the theater way back when. Got a kick out of Paul saying he saw this as a kid since we're about the same age.I think the film is dumb fun. It's certainly not as offensive as many bad movies are. It knows what it is and what it wants to be. It's just not a good version of that.

I still had to make this because I did let out a hearty laugh when I heard it

memerhetta_zps6e14609a.jpg

• Like 1

I also got a little annoyed by how little June got to talk because I would have LOVED a discussion about the weird feminism of this movie and the Spice Girls in general. There is, in a strange way, a nice message about friendship and loyalty in this movie because we don't see the Spice Girls having boyfriends or falling for any guys in the movie. So many movies about young women depict women in romantic relationships, trying to get into a relationship or having a relationship fall apart. They joke around about guys and tease each other a bit, but in the way that a group of girls might while out for drinks. I completely agree with June that the on-screen chemistry was great. I loved the exchanges on the bus and the way they goofed around with each other. It felt like it came from a genuine love for each other. Again, so much entertainment for tweens and young women is about drama, frenemies and love triangle that it is surprising to see a movie where the women are not interested in tearing each other down at all.

Also, when I first watched this as a kid (an 8 year old, so an actual child), I expected Deborah to get a girl power makeover. So much of this movie is about embracing who you are and not being afraid to show that. I just wanted her to lose that denim jacket and get crazy. I did NOT want her to hook up with Clifford. That felt like the anti-thesis of this movie. Yuck, yuck, yuck :(

THE CAMEOS. Omg, I loved the cameos. I remember watching this in the theaters and my poor, poor father actually laughed every time Roger Moore was on the screem. Yes, he took me and my three friends to go see it one weekend. He is the best dad ever.

TL;DR-- Spice Girls rock, June gets cut off too much and Deborah made me sad

• Like 2

Can they have do an extra episode where they just let June talk about her feelings about the movie, please? She didn't really say much in this episode even though it was clear that she wanted to, but I feel like it's because when she did she was either cut off or ignored. :/

• Like 3

In light of the above conversation, this seems *ahem* thematically appropriate...

cHhPF2F.jpg

• Like 11

I just remembered that Richard E Grant played the 10th Doctor in Curse of the Fatal Death, which explains why the Spice Girls tour bus is also a Tardis!

/end nerd out

He is in this seasons doctor who. but sadly he's not the 10th doctor, he's a old enemy.

He is in this seasons doctor who. but sadly he's not the 10th doctor, he's a old enemy.

He's still great, though. I loved the last two episodes that have had him as the enemy. The Great Intelligence is apparently the 'big bad' for this half of the series.

• Like 1

Also, maybe I'm the only one, but did anyone else think it was crazy that they spent more time discussing the Racial implications of Scary Spice over the Feminist nature of Spice World in General? I literally wondered what is happening!?!

But the racial implications don't just disappear because of the Girl Power stuff. Its almost like, its Girl Power for some, and bones in the noses for others.

Damn Shannon, I FEEL you on this. Not necessarily the spice girls but music in general. Anything that offered a different perspective and an escape appealed to me greatly when growing up around a similar environment to what you described.

I thought that Retta talking about the racial aspects of Scary Spice (oh God, I wonder if she regrets all of the leopard print) was on point. Because its not really including black females in this Girl Power frenzy if you're just using the same old racist tropes to represent them.

It would be like having Sporty Spice be a cheerleader and she always says stuff like "I don't want to play soccer myself, I just want to cheer on the boys! Aww yeah!"

I actually think the Spice Girls are a interesting allegory for feminism in general. I mean, they did include a black woman in the group, which is good, but then turn around and say, "Ok, I need you to be in a box, so I can be comfortable being around you. When we perform, can you hold this spear and wear this kente cloth mini-dress?"

I also got a little annoyed by how little June got to talk because I would have LOVED a discussion about the weird feminism of this movie and the Spice Girls in general. There is, in a strange way, a nice message about friendship and loyalty in this movie because we don't see the Spice Girls having boyfriends or falling for any guys in the movie. So many movies about young women depict women in romantic relationships, trying to get into a relationship or having a relationship fall apart. They joke around about guys and tease each other a bit, but in the way that a group of girls might while out for drinks. I completely agree with June that the on-screen chemistry was great. I loved the exchanges on the bus and the way they goofed around with each other. It felt like it came from a genuine love for each other. Again, so much entertainment for tweens and young women is about drama, frenemies and love triangle that it is surprising to see a movie where the women are not interested in tearing each other down at all.

Also, when I first watched this as a kid (an 8 year old, so an actual child), I expected Deborah to get a girl power makeover. So much of this movie is about embracing who you are and not being afraid to show that. I just wanted her to lose that denim jacket and get crazy. I did NOT want her to hook up with Clifford. That felt like the anti-thesis of this movie. Yuck, yuck, yuck :(

THE CAMEOS. Omg, I loved the cameos. I remember watching this in the theaters and my poor, poor father actually laughed every time Roger Moore was on the screem. Yes, he took me and my three friends to go see it one weekend. He is the best dad ever.

TL;DR-- Spice Girls rock, June gets cut off too much and Deborah made me sad

I agree that they cut June off too much and sometimes even step on her jokes. Its a running thing on the show.

I LOVE this movie. Spice World is so nostalgic for me. I was ten when this movie came out, a big Spice Girls fan, and I was in a theater on opening night. I loved the energy, positivity, and wackiness! I still remember my dad taking my sister and me out of the theater when the backup dancers turn around with the backsides of their costumes cut out.

It has been a long time since I have seen Spice World, but isn't it a goofy comedy with lots of absurd humor? I feel like that got lost in the show's critique of it. You guys seemed to want to take it a little more seriously than it was meant.

• Like 3