🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

In tribute to Roger Ebert, why not do the film that inspired his most famous review and the title of his book I Hated Hated Hated This Movie?

Great choice. Seems like a natural. A totally f'ed up movie, but in the most bizarre ways.

• Like 1

Yes! I registered here solely to suggest this, but I'm glad someone already has. Reading an article on Ebert (he will be truly missed) led me to his awesomely scathing review of North, which led me to watching it on Youtube (the whole thing is there, segmented). If this isn't a tailor-made HDTGM movie, then I don't know what is.

• Like 1

Guys, Dan Akroyd plays a Cowboy and Kathy Bates plays an Eskimo in full red-face. I don't care if it's a kids movie, it is worthy of a review/

• Like 2

Don't forget Abe Vigoda plays an eskimo who is forced by his family to commit suicide as well. In a kid's movie.

• Like 5

I so vividly remember reading this review when the movie came out. And the thing is, I was actually kind of pumped to see this movie, to the point where even as a high school kid I was considering going to see it at the theater. I liked Elijah Wood a lot as an actor, it was filled with so many comedians that I loved, and the weird concept was very intriguing to me. Admit it, if all you had to go by was the trailer, the people you saw were starring in it, and the director*, wouldn't you want to see this movie?

Then I read Ebert's scathing review (as well as Siskel's) and saw that maybe there was something fundamentally wrong with this movie. But Ebert's review was particularly memorable, and I don't know if there has ever been a movie where I remember the review so vividly.

*Keep in mind that at this point, the movies he had directed were This Is Spinal Tap, The Sure Thing, Stand by Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, and A Few Good Men.

• Like 1

I only have a vague memory of seeing this movie as a kid and liking it. I need to rewatch it again as an adult.

. Admit it, if all you had to go by was the trailer, the people you saw were starring in it, and the director*, wouldn't you want to see this movie?

I think that's what most people did think, which is why they in turn became so enraged after seeing this movie (Roger Ebert included). It should have been at least goofily enjoyable given the people involved, but instead it's kind of oppressively unentertaining.

• Like 1

to me this movie meets all the qualifications of a great HDTGM movie! Most of the cast is still working today! I cannot remember having seen it and as it came out when I was 15 I probably haven't! Loved Roger Ebert and agree this would be a timely movie to watch with his unfortunate passing.

Im not going to lie: i LOVED this movie as a kid, but mostly because i loved elijah wood. Guys, Bruce Willis as an Easter Bunny narrator. BRUCE WILLIS AS AN EASTER BUNNY NARRATOR!! so nice, you have to say it twice.

Oh my god! I had totally forgotten about Bruce Willis in a bunny suit. Again, how could you not think the movie would be good after hearing all this? The fact that it managed to be this crazy and yet not entertaining is a mystery.

Ohh my god, is my reaction to this. I've never seen this movie. so much happens in that little trailer on the first watching. it's hard to take it all in.

this looks so bad it's got to be done...

Vote +1 out of respect to Ebert, plus the premise is so crazy I might actually enjoy sitting through this.

Oh my god, after watching this last night for the first time, this was unpleasant. This is just so hateful a movie, and the antagonist (Baby Larry King) is just so cold hearted that I couldn't even stomach it. And when you take everything that happened in the movie in the context of the ending, it's clear that North is an insane person. Do this movie, avenge Roger Ebert!

• Like 1

Seeing this movie makes me happy Julia louis dreyfuss and Jason Alexander had decade long stretches between notable roles after Seinfeld.

I feel like everyone involved in this earned having their SAG cards revoked.

• Like 1

I honestly thought when paul teased the next movie as one Ebert called "the worst movie ever" on the minisode that he was talking about North...

Ebert almost sounds like he could get violent in his review...

"I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it."

• Like 2

Why hasn't this movie been done yet??!

And congrats to June and Paul on their baby! I'm so excited for both of you, even though it means only two HDTGM each month.

• Like 1