🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TessWhite

Thinner (1996)

Wow. Gypsies, lizard man, blood pie and kissing corpses? What a winner.*

16% on RT.

*sarcasm

Oh my, this is a real stinker. And disturbing. As I recall, he runs over the woman because his wife is giving him a blowjob, which given his size, I'm not sure how she even managed to do it.

• Like 1

Oh my, this is a real stinker. And disturbing. As I recall, he runs over the woman because his wife is giving him a blowjob, which given his size, I'm not sure how she even managed to do it.

Yeah, that's what she was doing, though in the book it made more sense because his wife was giving him a handjob instead. This movie had a very made-for-tv feel to it but was a theatrical release. It's unfortunate that so many of King's books have had bad or so-so adaptations, though I am holding out hope for the new version of Carrie.

• Like 1

Also, at the end, the makeup on Billy is pretty horrible. sometimes he is wearing the saggy skin, sometimes not.

For the love of god even if this isn't picked everybody has to see this mess of a movie.

I honestly don't want to ruin any it the magic or this. I think the plot is pretty common knowledge even though I don't know anyone who's seen this movie or even read the book. The dude gets cursed by white people pretending to be gypseys to get "thinner". An oft ignored second spell in the movie begins just with the word "lizard". Joe Mantegna literally plays fat tony. Pies. Old men driving semis. Slingshots. Big-mommas-house-core fat suits.

Everybody needs this movie

• Like 1

I just have been obsessed with this scene where fat guy calls fat tony at a bar surrounded by random hot lady extras and asks him if he knows anything about gypsy curses and he's like "naaaah but my mama does from back in the old country" and he turns around and she's right there just manning the bar apparently waiting to field a plethora of bad juju related inquires in case they come up

• Like 1

Yeah, that's what she was doing, though in the book it made more sense because his wife was giving him a handjob instead. This movie had a very made-for-tv feel to it but was a theatrical release. It's unfortunate that so many of King's books have had bad or so-so adaptations, though I am holding out hope for the new version of Carrie.

The reason, for the most part, that they tend to be bad/so-so is that they like to stick too close to the book when making the adaptation. What King writes works for books, not so much for screen. It's best to just use the book as a frame work.

Also this movie seemed to always be on tv during a time when I was doing some major dieting/weight loss. very strange.

Would love to hear their thoughts on this one... It's on netflix currently

Sign in to follow this