🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
therealjayknox

Bad Movie Recommendations Tournament of Gold

I have an idea!

Taking our already-existing pool of bad movie recommendations and narrowing them down to some kind of Top 10,

Top 5

Also a #1

Only problem is that I suck at math and/or tournament formulas.

Anyone know how to do this kind of thing?

I'm guessing everyone starts by putting down their 10 picks yes?

Then some OCD nerd among us makes a list and we narrow down etc etc?

I'm going with:

Return to Sleepaway Camp

Sleepwalkers

John Carpenters Vampires

A Talking Cat?!

Miami Connection

To Catch a Yeti

Star Wars Holiday Special because I don't think Lucas can sue anymore

Superman 4 (the one with Pillow-Man)

Kiss meets The Phantom of the Park

Dreamcatcher

Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star

This is from the recommendations we have already.

Again, sorry I don't know how to compile and do tournament stuff so someone smart needs to help please.

I thought there was going to be some kind of polling system set up. Did that ever happen, either here or on IMDB?

Return to Sleepaway Camp

Dreamcatcher

Congo

Lockout

Hackers

Johnny Mnemonic

Limitless

Hobo With a Shotgun

Toys

Face/Off

I wonder if UserVoice would be the right way to do this? Then there would be no need to narrow down to a Top 10 - people could just start voting right away.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked Limitless. The first time I saw the previews I thought it looked horrible but when I finally saw it I was pleasantly surprised. Whether or not you liked it though I don't think it belongs on HDTGM. Besides the general concept of the film, the movie is hot well. I can't think of many wtf moments and it ends in an unexpected way for this type of movie. I feel like a lot of people just can't look past the "drug makes you a genius" and trying to make Bradley Cooper look like a loser at the begining.

Guys, the Star Wars Holiday Special isn't even fun to watch ironically. If you force our heroes to watch that thing, you will be worse than Hitler. Hitler!

I hope the polling idea gets put in place, because I'm pretty sure that'd be the only way to get these guys to see The Happening.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked Limitless. The first time I saw the previews I thought it looked horrible but when I finally saw it I was pleasantly surprised. Whether or not you liked it though I don't think it belongs on HDTGM. Besides the general concept of the film, the movie is hot well. I can't think of many wtf moments and it ends in an unexpected way for this type of movie. I feel like a lot of people just can't look past the "drug makes you a genius" and trying to make Bradley Cooper look like a loser at the begining.

The thing is, the guys talked about doing an episode on the movie during their "Season of the Witch" episode with Chris Hardwick, so I could see them doing an episode. Plus, that movie has WTF moments like Bradley Cooper drinking blood for to get the drugs in it and then Cooper able to see into the future at the end of the movie.

I agree we need a polling system, every message board in the known planet has one but earwolf.

Starwars holiday special isn't even a movie guys. come on. don't make us watch that crap. that would be like listening to Paul Scheer clean the toilet. it opens a pandora box for really bad crap we don't want to see. like two girls one cup level of badness.

Once that door gets opened it can't be closed I tell you.

Yeah after I posted that I remembered about the blood drinking part which was pretty crazy. About them talking about doing an episode, I believe that was only based on a preview so their opinion may have changed. In any case I'm sure the reason I don't think it belongs on here is just because I like it.

As far as Star Wars Christmas I agree there's no reason to do it. And what would Lucas have been able to sue about?

Okay I think I got it:

But we need to start with some kind of narrow-down super pool. About 50?

It would be too much to just list the 1000 altogether in the topics.

So I'm thinking everyone just keep listing their Top 5 or 10 'by hand' and then compile those. Then I think we can paste a poll.

I think a theme for each week could work. Tie it with certain stars, genres, or to Razzie Nomination (Example: Megan Fox poll that would decide between Transformers Movies, Jennifer's Body and Jonah Hex)

Ok, I'm giving the UserVoice thing a shot. See if this works for you guys... I think this might be a LOT simpler than having someone aggregate random top 10 preferences. You guys can start entering your ideas for HDTGM movies, and cast votes on the suggestions by others. Over time, maybe this can become a good (and low-effort) repository for ideas for the show!

http://hdtgmrequests.uservoice.com/

Well, I was actually thinking of starting similar. See, on this other forum I was on (the rifftrax forum), we had a monthly thing in which we vote for top 50 of something with forum members making a list of their top 25 (for example, this month, it is game shows, last month it was Twilight Zone episodes). Basically everyone sends their list to the host with their #1 pick being worth 25 points, there #2 being worth 24 and so on.

Anyone up for that? I've been planning to do something similar in the off topic board for a while and this might be a good way to gauge interest (and we could always do both).

• Like 1

tumblr_inline_mge2vnifBp1rrznpz.gif

it's coming y'all. I promise promise.

• Like 1

I'm liking Johnny Unusual's scheme where everyone's picks get some kind of score etc. I don't understand the math but I think he's got the right idea..

...However, if Shannon is hooking up a sweet integrated site voting thinger then that's awesomeness!

*my only concern with any voting thing is that it ends up being not just HDTGM style picks but always 'Avengers 2' and 'Promethius' or just basically any new movie that - while not deliciously bad - is simply relatively unpopular or controversial,

but,

then again forum members here always seem to get it.

(although the 'Spice girls Feminism complaints' were pretty weird you guys)

Too keep it simple, all people would need to do is submit a list of their top 25 ranked movies that want to see discussed on HDTGM.

Here's the more in depth version:

Basically the idea is that we get as many forum members to Personal message me a list of their top 25 picks. The higher the ranking, the more points. So your #1 pick is a full 25 points, your #2 worth 24, etc.... And your #25 pick is 1 point.

If you decide you only want to submit a lower number of entries, you can, though your picks won't score quite as high. Let's say you only submit 10 movies. Your #1 pick will be worth 10 points, your #2 worth 9, etc...

All of the votes are tabulated and then ranked. In the case of a tie, then that tie is broken by how many lists it appeared in and if it is still tied, then it goes to the one that had the highest rank from an individual. If it's still tied... then it is just a tie.

It is also optimal to have more than 10 participants. Trust me, I know from experience. They are still fun without, though. Really, it's all about community building and fun discussions. Anyone interested?

Here are some I hosted for the rifftrax forum to give you an idea:

Top 50 comic strips

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=24994.msg720087#msg720087

Top 50 fictional species and races

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=25374.msg732059#msg732059

Sign in to follow this