🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
maggotlimbo

Mortal Kombat Annihilation (1997)

tumblr_mp1s2sYRrt1qcga5ro1_500.gif

This movie has a unique and complex at mother-daughter relationships, that was lacking in the first Mortal Kombat. It's basically Gilmore Girls.

The Gilmore Girls are also more convincing martial artists.

• Like 3

That tv show was actually epic. It was a prequel to both movies and was awesome! Should've ran for many more seasons than one.

Nice try, Mr. Producer of the Mortal Kombat TV series!

• Like 1

I did actually like the web series from a couple years ago. where it was sort of a Dark Knight retelling of the Mortal Kombat mythos. It sort of fell apart when the received studio funding and they wanted it to be more like the movies. I still haven't watched the second season of it, but the first was pretty decent, especially compared to this shit.

I'm still campaigning for them to do this movie. Purely for my own, self-indulgent nerd out session that the thread would provide.

Yep, Smigg's still on the campaign trail for this movie!

The funny thing is, they include the Sub Zero part, that is literally the only part of it that's true to the games

Okay, here's a preview of the nerd out that will happen should they ever do the episode.

The Sub Zero in MK:A is the Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat 2 until now, his actual name is "Kuai Liang" and is a member of the Lin Kuei clan, he assumed the "Sub-Zero" moniker when his older brother "Bi-Han", the Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat 1 was killed. In the Mortal Kombat lore, Kuai Liang is the 6th "Sub Zero". Before that, he went under the name "Tundra".

However, in the games, Bi-Han was killed by Scorpion, who was a member of a rival clan (the Shirai Ryu) who was killed, along with the rest of the Shirai Ryu and his family, by who he thought was the Lin Kuei. Which is why Scorpion appeared in the second movie too, depsite dying in the first, he just respawns in the Netherrealm.

Told you I would nerd the fuck out over this shit.

The funny thing is, they include the Sub Zero part, that is literally the only part of it that's true to the games

Okay, here's a preview of the nerd out that will happen should they ever do the episode.

The Sub Zero in MK:A is the Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat 2 until now, his actual name is "Kuai Liang" and is a member of the Lin Kuei clan, he assumed the "Sub-Zero" moniker when his older brother "Bi-Han", the Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat 1 was killed. In the Mortal Kombat lore, Kuai Liang is the 6th "Sub Zero". Before that, he went under the name "Tundra".

However, in the games, Bi-Han was killed by Scorpion, who was a member of a rival clan (the Shirai Ryu) who was killed, along with the rest of the Shirai Ryu and his family, by who he thought was the Lin Kuei. Which is why Scorpion appeared in the second movie too, depsite dying in the first, he just respawns in the Netherrealm.

Told you I would nerd the fuck out over this shit.

kvANE_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=funny_or_die&i=funny-or-die-ent&l=search&f=.gif

giphy.gif

Fuck yeah it is. Near 25 year obsession.

I admit I have loved this series for years, but the mythology can get real ridiculous at times. I'm glad that they retconned a lot of it with MK9.

That's what hooked me. I'm telling you, Warner Brothers could make an Marvel style cinematic universe out of Mortal Kombat.

You'd have the main "Tournament" movies, but you could then spin off various stand alone movies. You could have Sonya and Jax in a "Special Forces" movie where they're fighting the Black Dragon and Red Dragon organisations. You can have a few Sub Zero movies.

You build it up, and then you build it up, until you get the pay off

The Justice League vs. The Earthrealm Defenders.

So, you'd have Superman, Batman etc, fighting Liu Kang, Sub Zero etc, before a huge fight against the main villain, or group of villains, like Onaga: The Dragon King from MK: Deception

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jx3ldJtYC4

One reason I think this movie is a must is that there is such an insane number of characters brought in from the games with literally no exposition or explanation - most of the time you don't even get their names. Which is why I would so love to hear our hosts agreeing upon alternate names for everyone as they attempt to discuss the plot.

For example - HorseBro:

4060084-9459495203-motar.png

Not only that, the sheer number of characters who are brought in, with ZERO reference to their names, which then makes people not familiar with Mortal Kombat, think "Well, who the fuck is that?!"

Cyrax

Smoke

Mileena

Ermac

Baraka

Reptile (again, having been killed in the previous one.. and somehow has clones)

And then characters that are named, but don't appear

Stryker

Kabal

This whole movie is just a hodge-podge of 2, 3 and 4. The story is based upon MK3 for the most part.

Yeah this movie unfortunately was just playing catch up to the games which by that point exploded with new characters and backstory, most of which players didn't know about if they didn't read the game manual or watch the waiting screens if they let the game sit too long without pressing start. Now at least they do a better job of incorporating it into the games. Also, was it really so bad that we didn't see this fucking asshole?008_Stryker_MK3.png

Also Smigg, I like that it is basically you and me keeping this thread/dream alive so here's to you.

tumblr_mumh5jlvcJ1s02vreo1_400.gif

• Like 1

Oh god, I hated Stryker in the games, Kabal on the other hand, he was a bad motherfucker, loved him.

The part where Raiden says "Shao Khan is my brother!" it was the exact same reaction I had when they did the same thing in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves when they said Robin was Will Scarlett's brother, that being... "NO HE'S FUCKING NOT!!"

Fuck yeah, and I love that you used the Predator gif, absolutely perfect.

Yeah this movie unfortunately was just playing catch up to the games which by that point exploded with new characters and backstory, most of which players didn't know about if they didn't read the game manual or watch the waiting screens if they let the game sit too long without pressing start. Now at least they do a better job of incorporating it into the games. Also, was it really so bad that we didn't see this fucking asshole?008_Stryker_MK3.png

Also Smigg, I like that it is basically you and me keeping this thread/dream alive so here's to you.

tumblr_mumh5jlvcJ1s02vreo1_400.gif

I have a lot to say on this one, but the CIA has me too busy pushing pencils :(

• Like 1

Doesn't matter, you're on the team

giphy.gif

• Like 2

The Story to the original and the characters themselves in general are parodies or homage of different things... depending your view. MK1 tournament is an homage to the Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon Liu Kang is based off Bruce Lee just with supernatural abilities. Bo' Rai Cho pays homage to the Drunken Fist legend ( Though never in either film). Johnny Cage making fun of Hollywood martial artists and martial art films. Shang Tsung is semi based off the claw dude from enter the dragon as well they both order fights to the death but only one steals your soul. To be fair though the story of MK isnt that bad just implemented badly.Thus why the 2nd failed so badly The other realms are never explained really.. Cyrax and Sector are never explained to be part of the Lin Kuei that underwent the cyber initiative nor does Sub Zero care to even give any reference to it. The fights seemed like a bad ballad at times. They killed off Johnny Cage instantly which is a wtf moment he's a comedy relief well supposed to be. Sindel, Kitana and Milena is badly explained. Rain probably wouldn't really be a strong supporter of Shao Kahn and probably would have sided with Kitana since they were both conquered by him. Reptile has better graphics than the final fight. The Ball transportation system is retarded. Scorpion never gets really explained...... Tried to much lore in one film hurt it badly.

It should be said they are like superhumans and should be treated alike meaning not every fight means a death meaning they can take abuse that normal people cant yes that means sector baby missle lol... Damn half time in the game Earth realm fighters don't even kill the bad guys.

At least it still has a bad ass song

The Story to the original and the characters themselves in general are parodies or homage of different things... depending your view. MK1 tournament is an homage to the Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon Liu Kang is based off Bruce Lee just with supernatural abilities. Bo' Rai Cho pays homage to the Drunken Fist legend ( Though never in either film). Johnny Cage making fun of Hollywood martial artists and martial art films. Shang Tsung is semi based off the claw dude from enter the dragon as well they both order fights to the death but only one steals your soul. To be fair though the story of MK isnt that bad just implemented badly.Thus why the 2nd failed so badly The other realms are never explained really.. Cyrax and Sector are never explained to be part of the Lin Kuei that underwent the cyber initiative nor does Sub Zero care to even give any reference to it. The fights seemed like a bad ballad at times. They killed off Johnny Cage instantly which is a wtf moment he's a comedy relief well supposed to be. Sindel, Kitana and Milena is badly explained. Rain probably wouldn't really be a strong supporter of Shao Kahn and probably would have sided with Kitana since they were both conquered by him. Reptile has better graphics than the final fight. The Ball transportation system is retarded. Scorpion never gets really explained...... Tried to much lore in one film hurt it badly.

It should be said they are like superhumans and should be treated alike meaning not every fight means a death meaning they can take abuse that normal people cant yes that means sector baby missle lol... Damn half time in the game Earth realm fighters don't even kill the bad guys.

At least it still has a bad ass song

I like this guy.

They're still making these games -- the most recent one was just last year and had Freddy, Jason, and the Xenomorph/Alien as playable characters. I suppose that means the franchise is still popular.

Supposedly James Wan is attached to a reboot/remake. Surprised it hasn't happened already, this is the kind of film that CGI factories are pumping out these days. Put some MMA fighters in it; get a couple legit Chinese stars (I hear Donnie Yen is popular) and make that sweet international money. It could be made for less than Monster Trucks, I'd bet.

They're still making these games -- the most recent one was just last year and had Freddy, Jason, and the Xenomorph/Alien as playable characters. I suppose that means the franchise is still popular.

Supposedly James Wan is attached to a reboot/remake. Surprised it hasn't happened already, this is the kind of film that CGI factories are pumping out these days. Put some MMA fighters in it; get a couple legit Chinese stars (I hear Donnie Yen is popular) and make that sweet international money. It could be made for less than Monster Trucks, I'd bet.

Oh, I know that all to well, Mortal Kombat has been a love of mine for 25 years... holy shit, a quarter of a century.

They could turn the whole franchise into it's own version of the Marvel Universe, and because it's owned by Warner Bros, it can be folded into the DC universe, which they have done before

519z0fDp2OL.jpg

Yeah like I said, I'm surprised they haven't done a new MK movie, given how just about anything is green lit these days -- Warner Bros could certainly do worse. Assassin's Creed and Warcraft both got recent movies and did pretty good business overseas, even if they got bad reviews in the US.

I honestly had no idea these games were still around! I don't stay on top of newer games at all.

Sign in to follow this