🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
maggotlimbo

Mortal Kombat Annihilation (1997)

Yeah like I said, I'm surprised they haven't done a new MK movie, given how just about anything is green lit these days -- Warner Bros could certainly do worse. Assassin's Creed and Warcraft both got recent movies and did pretty good business overseas, even if they got bad reviews in the US.

I honestly had no idea these games were still around! I don't stay on top of newer games at all.

I think the issue is, they're ultra violent, and it would be hard to get the ultra-violent into a desireable PG-13 franchise. So, without it's gruesome, over the top horror-movie style content, it loses it's main appeal to a lot of the audience. It's sort of like the RoboCop remake, what made RoboCop so great was that it's violence was so over the top, it became somewhat comical, which was entirely by design. They then made the remake a PG-13 movie, and it didn't translate as well, happened with The Expendables 3 as well.

But, when you look a passed that, and take a look at the whole mythology of the games, it's so extensive, with so many sub-plots, fueds, alliances, betrayals, you could have the main "Mortal Kombat" movies, but then you could have Sub-Zero movies, Scorpion movies, Special Forces movies, Shaolin Monks, hell, you could even have a western with one of the characters. The possibilities are almost endless... yes, I know I'm a huge nerd.

• Like 1

Yeah like I said, I'm surprised they haven't done a new MK movie, given how just about anything is green lit these days -- Warner Bros could certainly do worse. Assassin's Creed and Warcraft both got recent movies and did pretty good business overseas, even if they got bad reviews in the US.

I honestly had no idea these games were still around! I don't stay on top of newer games at all.

They did the web series which started out really good with a kind of Dark Knight grittiness but it sorta faltered when the studio got more involved with the creator of the series. I know they were originally going to give him the go ahead to make a new movie but it's been in development hell for a couple years now.

I absolutely love the last two MK games because they are in essence a reboot of the series, which used time travel as a way to create new storylines and still be able to mention back to the original stories. WB has done a great job in allowing this universe to grow and create well loved characters in a video game universe that for the most part are known by even casual gamers, which is tough for fighting games with dozens of characters.

Speaking of the DC crossover, they are finally releasing a sequel to their DC fighting game, Injustice, which quite possibly have the best crossover story development I have ever seen with the comic books that have fleshed out an alternate universe wherein Superman is a tyrannical dictator who took over the world with the help of Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern, while Batman leads the rebellion against him with the help of Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Constantine, and others. If you haven't read them I can't recommend them highly enough.

Literally this is the end of the second issue after all of Metropolis has been destroyed.

18e1kc7g0b647png.png

And it only gets more awesome and insane from there.

Also in regards to this film, I'm honestly considering showing this and the first one as a Sunday double feature at my job, because I have no other ideas for the coming month. I was considering Thunderball and You Only Live Twice as I have been showing the Bond films in order but I figure a double with of one of the most boring Bond films and the most racist Bond films might not go over well.

• Like 1

They did the web series which started out really good with a kind of Dark Knight grittiness but it sorta faltered when the studio got more involved with the creator of the series. I know they were originally going to give him the go ahead to make a new movie but it's been in development hell for a couple years now.

I absolutely love the last two MK games because they are in essence a reboot of the series, which used time travel as a way to create new storylines and still be able to mention back to the original stories. WB has done a great job in allowing this universe to grow and create well loved characters in a video game universe that for the most part are known by even casual gamers, which is tough for fighting games with dozens of characters.

Speaking of the DC crossover, they are finally releasing a sequel to their DC fighting game, Injustice, which quite possibly have the best crossover story development I have ever seen with the comic books that have fleshed out an alternate universe wherein Superman is a tyrannical dictator who took over the world with the help of Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern, while Batman leads the rebellion against him with the help of Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Constantine, and others. If you haven't read them I can't recommend them highly enough.

Literally this is the end of the second issue after all of Metropolis has been destroyed.

18e1kc7g0b647png.png

And it only gets more awesome and insane from there.

Also in regards to this film, I'm honestly considering showing this and the first one as a Sunday double feature at my job, because I have no other ideas for the coming month. I was considering Thunderball and You Only Live Twice as I have been showing the Bond films in order but I figure a double with of one of the most boring Bond films and the most racist Bond films might not go over well.

Injustice was oustanding, and I'm not even a comic book guy.

But you're right, they've introduced new characters, and actually made decent ones, there was a period between Deadly Alliance and Armageddon where they had some real duds, like Kobra, Darrius, Dairou, Hotaru, Hsu Hao and others who were just generic.

Then 9 and 10 came about, and we got some great ones like Erron Black and D'Vorah.

I liked Armageddon for the fact that it had all of the characters that had been in the games, but it came at the cost of fatalities and that horrible "make-a-fatality" feature which sucked ass.

I liked Armageddon for the fact that it had all of the characters that had been in the games, but it came at the cost of fatalities and that horrible "make-a-fatality" feature which sucked ass.

Not only that, they included stupid side games. If they'd have done away with Motor Kombat and Kreate a Kombatant, then it there would have been fatalities, and actual end sequences, as opposed to those Katas and scrolling text.

It's pretty weird seeing a 9ft tall Dragon King doings a Kata, whilst a rolling text describe the events of him destroying all the realms and taking them for himself.

Sign in to follow this