🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is my strong suggestion. You know why?

• The Premise: travel back to the 80s, pick up some whales, go back to the 23rd century to have the whales talk to a violent alien which is ripping up Earth.

• Spock does a Vulcan neck grip to a rude, 80s punk rocker with a boombox.

• Shatner orders a Michelob and pizza.

• Scotty completely changes the course of time by introducing 23rd century polymer technology to a factory manager

• Zany, hair-brained scheme to rescue Chekov from a guarded hospital involving goofy, Police Academy-like antics

• Overall wackiness when the crew of the Starship Enterprise encounters silly 80s culture.

This is basically a list of all the awesome things about Star Trek IV. Can't get on board with this one.

• Like 1

I love this one. For me, the idea of the Enterprise spending an ENTIRE movie traveling back to San Fran and trying to procure a giant shouldn't work in any way. Yet, for me any way, they did great job carrying it off. I'm not a Trekkie, but I genuinely like this movie.

SF wise, the idea of distant aliens communicating with whales is ludicrous. How the hell is whalesong getting into space, exactly? But besides that and the funky ass time travel sequence, this is easily my second favourite Trek movie after Khan, The only real problem with this movie is it lead to Star Trek V being made. Now that one is a crappy movie.

... this is easily my second favourite Trek movie after Khan, .

Same for me. In fact, those might be the only 2 Star Treks I liked (of the former series/cast).

I kinda liked that new reboot though.

This movie is silly and naive; in it's politics, it's social stance, and in its own narrative; but I fucking love it. Love it. Sure, I am a trekkie and a proud lover of sci-fi, but with all the great suggestions of terrible movies in this forum, I can't get behind this recommendation.

This movie is silly and naive; in it's politics, it's social stance, and in its own narrative; but I fucking love it. Love it. Sure, I am a trekkie and a proud lover of sci-fi, but with all the great suggestions of terrible movies in this forum, I can't get behind this recommendation.

I'd call it light-hearted and optimistic. And given the resurgence in whaling and the ivory trade, the message is still worthwhile.

• Like 1

Actually, with its depiction of Earth-based destruction (with the arrival of the space probe) actually manifesting itself via the weather, coupled with humanity's inability to deal with such circumstances due to its own actions (the extinction of the whales), I'd say the analogues to Global Warming are pretty strong and pretty well done, making this movie all the more relevant today. So fuck it, this movie is awesome and smart!

• Like 1

When you compare the TV show's to the movies versions of star trek, they make the movies look like masterpiece's so its not really all that bad. mind you The Voyage Home fake punks got on my nurves. as he clearly isn't a real punk. but it is a good point.

When you compare the TV show's to the movies versions of star trek, they make the movies look like masterpiece's so its not really all that bad. mind you The Voyage Home fake punks got on my nurves. as he clearly isn't a real punk. but it is a good point.

Oh now see, we were having such a nice little discussion and now you had to anger my inner nerd by insulting one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

In fairness, season 3 has most of the stinkers, like 'Spock's Brain' and 'The Way to Eden'.

yeah i'm going to have to say that this movie was a good movie. i liked it! "computer? hello, computer?"

it's goofy. i'll absolutely give you that. i forgot the police academy antics at the hospital. but also keep in mind that this movie was very well received and people who enjoyed the star trek movies generally point to this as one of their favorites. i know it's not my podcast by any means, but when i think of a "how did this get made?" movie i generally think of something that is more infamous. a movie that NOBODY liked. or maybe a polarizing movie where the critics loved it and fans hated it, or vice versa.

having a goofy plot and crazy scenes is one thing, but this film lacks the notoriety of what i consider to be a movie truly deserving the question "how did this get made?"

its a good movie in it's own right. it's a campy fun star trek film, it's not the best of them all but it's still good.

My favorite part is when they are looking for Nuclear Wessels.. just that the punk on the bus is horrible and in the real world if you tried that on a bus you would get your head blown off, I would bet. this movie was better then insurrection was. picking a favorite star trek movie is like picking a favorite kid. but my favorite is first contact. i cry in tears at the end of that film everytime.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings so go easy on me I am not having a good day.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings so go easy on me I am not having a good day.

If this was directed at me no worries, I was just kidding.

there are two groups of people you don't ever want to upset on the net. one is trekky and the other is apple people and the worst of them are trekky apple people LOL..

Hey I own apple stuff so I can trash it if I want too. hehehe. i was not happy with my iphone last night.

I'm looking forward to when JJ Abrams re-does this.

there are two groups of people you don't ever want to upset on the net. one is trekky and the other is apple people and the worst of them are trekky apple people LOL..

Hey I own apple stuff so I can trash it if I want too. hehehe. i was not happy with my iphone last night.

You forgot the most terrifying internet group of all - Linux users!

I'm not a "Trekkie," but I do enjoy (some) of the Trek films. This is one of the better ones - Wrath of Khan will always remain the best. I love Chekov asking where they keep the nuclear wessels. Makes me laugh every time. There's plenty of other Trek films far better - or would it be worse - for the show. Star Trek V would be perfect. A giant floating head of God shooting lasers out of its eyes. Need I say more...?

Sign in to follow this