🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 31 — The Professionals

Fellow professional Natasha Lyonne drops by to reminisce about old times with Jake on this week’s edition of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Natasha & Jake recall meeting for the first time over the phone, their short film Robot Ninja Meets Sensitive Truck Driver, and Natasha’s old dishwasher filled with CDs. They take a look at some clips that include; the Karma Chameleon phone, Henry Rollins being great, and The Amish Sex Pistols. Leave a review for The Shaggs’ “Philosophy of the World” in “The Fogelnest Files” section on iTunes. Be sure to mark you calendars for a LIVE video podcast of THE FOGELNEST FILES w/ Howard Kremer & Kulap Vilaysack of Who Charted? on Thursday, May 2nd over at youtube.com/Earwolf! People of Los Angeles, come to a LIVE taping of THE FOGELNEST FILES with Rob Corddry on Thursday, April 25th at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre! Get tickets at www.ucbtheatre.com

Was Natasha Lyonne blowing rails over the course of this recording?

No, she has been sober for YEARS, but thank you for being the first person to make this comment!

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 5

Hey bro, I know this guy named Gerald who is a huge U2 fan. You should totally have him on the show.

Wow, Natasha is incredibly funny and charming. As a youngster in the prime American Pie demographic, I had a huge crush on Shannon Elizabeth, but as a (semi-) mature adult male, I feel compelled to say (in the decidedly non-mature adult parlance of Heavy Metal Parking Lot) that NATASHA RULES, SHANNON SUCKS. Anyway, I don't know if I had ever heard her speak out of character before (even though that seems unlikely) or what, but I never realized she had such a heavy accent, but you can sort of tell that acting has trained her to suppress it because it drops out from time to time.

I loved the Karma Chameleon phone clip, but that was one that was way better listening to the audio and leaving it up to my imagination. Jake made no mention of the time frame, so I assumed it was from the '80s, but seeing the video made it pretty clear that it was made much later for camp value, and after a bit more searching, it appears to be from 2003.

Jake's hard sell here finally convinced me to put "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" in my Netflix Instant queue.

• Like 1

How could you invoke Alan Arkin without playing clips of The Return of Captain Invincible, Jake?

Because you have just introduced me to this movie and I AM VERY GRATEFUL! Richard O'Brien did the music for this movie?! I cannot believe this has escaped me until now!

• Like 1

Natasha's an ideal podcast guest .. she's funny, she's worked through some stuff, and she speaks without a filter. I'd like to hear her on some more podcasts. Has she guested on any other shows?

Great voice, too. Sometimes I listen to podcasts where some of the people sound similar to one another and I get confused about who's talking. I can't imagine that happening with Natasha Lyonne.

I'm a little surprised Jake covered the "We're Not Candy" PSA without mentioning it later became the chorus to Busta Rhymes' "Dangerous."

Also, Natasha Lyonne is delightful.

I'm a little surprised Jake covered the "We're Not Candy" PSA without mentioning it later became the chorus to Busta Rhymes' "Dangerous."

AH! I knew that sounded familiar, but when he mentioned it was from the Long Island Poison Control Board (or whatever local group it was), I figured there was no way I had ever seen it, but I somehow still didn't manage to make that connection.

Also, Natasha Lyonne is delightful.

I remember when MTV did a show that talked about this in the 90's early 2000's. I can't remember what it was, but I think Kurt Loder hosted it and it just talked about the secrets of current music or something. Then they showed that and I lost all respect for current hip-hop.

By the way, I feel if Jake had just left the room for bits at a time, Natasha would have just kept going. Great episode.

Point of order, does one 'blow' rails? I guess I don't know how cocaine works.

• Like 1

Jake, This was the best episode by far and you have had some great episodes. Natasha Lyonne should be a regular guest!

I first heard about "Heavy Metal Parking Lot " a few years ago when I moved to DC and my musician friends described it in legendary terms. I did not get to see it until it popped onto YouTube a year or so ago and I was not disappointed in the slightest.

So thank you for featuring it. Someday, when my grandkids ask me about the 80's, I'll sit them down in front of that film and be confident they'll have all the answers they'll need.

Keep the great shows coming Jake, yours has definitely become one of my favorite podcasts, and is definitely the most consistently interesting and funny.

Jake, This was the best episode by far and you have had some great episodes. Natasha Lyonne should be a regular guest!

I'm with this. I feel like Natasha has to have a spot on Jake impression that we were deprived of, and since they have similar accents she could totes take on a co-host spot every once in a while.

The energy of this episode reminded me of the Sklarb ep. in which Jake, Randy, and Jay laughed for minutes at a time. Awesome stuff.

• Like 2

This is probably my favorite of this episode. Natasha killed it. I hope to hear her on other podcasts or some more Fogelnest Files.

Also my grandma owns one of those Karma Chameleon phones. I thought it was one of those things nobody else knew existed. it makes happy there was even a commercial for that.

Not directly related to this episode, but I figure this would be the best place to post it ... Jake has mentioned a couple of times the Flintsone origins of Bad White Rapping. Check out what former GW Bush spokeslady/ FoxNews blonde Dana Perino just did!!

I genuinely enjoyed Heavy Metal Parking Lot so thank you very much for giving me that.

Also, I'm really excited to watch "Ladies and Gentleman..." this weekend. I thought while watching the trailer that baby Diane Lane looks a lot like Jennifer Lawrence.

This was a great episode, Natasha was a gem.

• Like 1

I feel like Lyonne, especially with that wonderful voice of hers, is like a character from Ronna & Beverly's universe; kind of like the charmingly edgy niece at a family gathering who might ruffle some overly conservative feathers, but ultimately brings nothing but good times. I'm weird. Anyway, it made for an amazing podcast, to be sure.

When it comes to Heavy Metal Parking Lot, I first saw it in high school and always thought that if one were to go to any stadium concert, film all day, and edit it into 17 minutes of the most egregious examples of douchey, bro behavior, you'll have a pretty laughable 17 minutes. You could probably get an equally laughable collection of characters outside of a Justin Bieber or Rihanna concert, just of a different sort. All humans get pretty gross in large numbers, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, I know I Tweeted the Karma Chameleon telephone before to Mr. Fogelnest (@QuasarSniffer on the Tweetspace). Is that where you came across this video or were you already aware of it? Just curious.

Sign in to follow this