🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Imperial Stormtroopers invade a Dungeons and Dragons-themed wedding, Liam Neeson multiclasses as a Barbarian/Polygamist, men are murdered with wobbly rubber spikes, and not even the polystyrene rocks are safe.

As a testament to the film's overall production philosophy, the female lead (played by a British actress) was re-dubbed by an American actress in post. The original actress didn't know this was happening until the studio informed her after the fact. Apply that level of flippancy to nearly every aspect of film making, and you might wind up with Krull.

According to Wikipedia, that bastion of truth, "The film made over $16.5 million domestically,failing to bring back its reported budget of over $45–50 million. However, it has gained a cult following over the years since its release."

You can watch it on Amazon Instant or even pick up the DVD that features cast and crew commentary that might make you want to open a vein.

Here's

. Enjoy! Or don't!

I love Krull. The glave is one of the coolest weapons ever. Yeah, it's a bad movie and a guilty pleasure that would be perfect for the podcast. You know, I've seen this movie many times and I still don't have a fucking clue what's going on, but I still love it. It makes me giggle...

• Like 1

I love Krull. The glave is one of the coolest weapons ever.

I would like to point out that the glave is a multi-pronged, jeweled boomerang. That the hero retrieves from a pool of lava with his bare hand.

There are actually some cool ideas at play in Krull (I loved the Widow of the Web part) but it's definitely mock-worthy. The Slayers are basically just Imperial Stormtroopers (and about as good with a gun). The whole thing is a very uneven marriage between sci-fi and fantasy.

The female lead in this was Lysette Anthony, who was a fairly big name in the 80s. She was famously in Depeche Mode's video for 'I Feel You'.

• Like 1

THIS was the go-to movie in the early days of video stores when the two copies of "Star Wars" had already been rented out. It was also on HBO all the time, and I know a friend of mine had the Atari game. I love the film, and I think a remake would be siiiiiiick. A few years back, I tried to show "Krull" to my roommate, who watches every stupid little bullshit no-budget thing made by gamers for gamers, and she didn't get the appeal. Whatever, dude...

Recently, I found the Marvel Comics movie adaptation of "the Fantasy Film Masterpiece" at my comic shop for a buck. In addition to the story, it also features articles that look at the making of the sets, the merchandising blitz that surrounded "Krull-Mania" (which I'm nearly 100% sure wasn't a real thing), and a piece about real people that got married while re-enacting the wedding scene from the film...before the film was even released.

http://io9.com/5615160/the-krull-wedding--the-most-confounding-scifi-movie-promotion-of-all-time

• Like 1

Krull is fucking genius.

Hell I had the comic adaptation AND the board game. That's how good it is!

• Like 2

The "Krull" DVD I have is from 2000 (remember when subtitles were considered "special features"?), and I'm surprised that even THEN the packaging didn't heavily feature Liam Neeson. Nowadays, he'd be the only one on the cover. Speaking of which, where's the "Krull" 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray? If we don't get one, a serious injustice has been perpetrated upon us all!

I just wanted to bump this, because after seeing all the Asgardian stuff in the new "Thor" flick, the mishmash of mythological themes, space ships, laser bazookas, and fantasy creatures, it makes me really, REALLY want to see a "Krull" remake...after I watch the original another 7 or 8 times...

• Like 1

This is one of those movies I loved, LOVED as a kid (yay, borrowing a friend's VCR so you could make copies) -- upon rewatching as an adult I realize what a dumb kid I was. This movie is basically a shameless mashup of Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings.

It's not a great movie, but it is pretty entertaining and the Glaive IS the coolest fucking weapon ever. Some of the set design is actually pretty terrific too.

dRiB8SG.jpg

• Like 1

Fun Fact: the soundtrack to Krull was done by James Horner, who is kind of notorious for cannibalizing his own work. You'll hear bits of Star Trek 2, Aliens, and a few others in that Krull score.

Fun Fact: the soundtrack to Krull was done by James Horner, who is kind of notorious for cannibalizing his own work. You'll hear bits of Star Trek 2, Aliens, and a few others in that Krull score.

"Krull" came before "Aliens" though, so it's the other way around. Yeah, "Aliens" ripped something off from "Krull". Think about that. Again, "Krull" does not get the love it DESERVES!

"Krull" came before "Aliens" though, so it's the other way around. Yeah, "Aliens" ripped something off from "Krull". Think about that. Again, "Krull" does not get the love it DESERVES!

That's what I was saying, though maybe I didn't say it clearly? Anyway yes, huge chunks of the Krull score show up in his later work.

No trailer? I'll fix this. And I watched it recently for the first time over a year ago. Lot's going on, but somehow did not hold my interest.

Have loved this movie since I was a kid. as an adult I see just how insane this movie is. An alien race invades a mideval level planet, and the natives never freak out? Like, "holy $#!+, we just got invaded by space traveling super beings?!" But I guess when every member of your race is a fire magician, nothing scares or surprises you? Not to mention a way way young Liam Neeson. Still love this movie.

• Like 1

I'm in shock that they haven't done this one yet. Simply trying to explain the plot to anyone makes you sound like you're drunk.

Ironically, the soundtrack is a longtime favorite among film score fans.

• Like 1

Bumping this up after remembering Krull in the pinball thread. I was introduced to this film by a friend who truly, truly loved it, but I made the mistake of watching it alone, rather than having him to guide me. Big mistake.

My favourite part: British actress Lysette Anthony got her voice dubbed over to appeal to the American audience (who are apparently so eager to hear something familiar that they'll forgive poor ADR that would give Hercules in New York a run for its money). Apparently Lysette has fallen on hard times now: let's blame the dubbing of Krull.

• Like 2

I, too, am shocked they haven't reviewed this one yet. Watched and love/hated it many times on VHS and cable back in the 80s, a few years ago I bought a friend the DVD. Just the other day I found the Blu-Ray in the clearance bin for $4, now I get to experience the widow of the web all over again.

Come on, guys, do it. Because of the badass glaive, Krull occupies a niche space in our cultural memory even though it is totally bonkers.

• Like 2

Along with Teen Witch and Seven Minutes in Heaven, this movie LIVED on HBO in the late '80s. There is so much good stuff for HDTGM to discuss and mock. I really liked this movie as a child and own the DVD from the early 2000s. I completely understand what makes it terrible, but it still has a special place in my heart. I remember seeing this around the same time as the Dark Crystal and thinking they were similar, but this wasn't as scary. The B story about the old guy and the widow of the web was one of the most compelling aspects, and Francesca Annis is gorgeous. As others have commented, James Horner's score is simply spectacular, and Krull will live forever in the strains of its score that can be picked up in numerous subsequent movies (Aliens, Titanic, the Magnificent Seven, to name a few).

Loved this film as a kid and still love it now, whilst it is a bit of a rip of of merging Star Wars together with lord of the rings it is still enjoyable and something a bit different especially for when it came out. Plus it also gets Name Checked in the AMAZING British tv show Spaced along with another Classic British Fantasy Film HAWK THE SLAYER!!!!

Bilbo Bagshot: I was like you once. Blond hair. Scraggly little beard. Childlike ears. Full of beans and spunk. I let my principles get in the way sometimes. I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish.

Tim Bisley: Good for you.

Bilbo Bagshot: Yeah, thanks. But that's not the point, Tim. The point is I was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity, when what I should have said is "Dad, you're right, but let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later."

tl9vxAg.png

Sign in to follow this