🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Just saw a news story that this is getting remade- maybe they should do a two fer when that comes out

They have been talking about doing a remake/sequel for a while now, but since Swayze died I would have thought those ideas would have gone away.

Do they still do the live show in LA? I imagine that Jason would be amazing in that playing Keanu's role for that show.

Just saw a news story that this is getting remade- maybe they should do a two fer when that comes out

fuck this earth

• Like 2

this is one of those movies that I had a strange affection for. Was it Lori Petty? Was it the extreme sports bank robbers? Was it trying to believe Keanu was a law enforcement official of any kind? I don't know.

BUT it is worth noting it is directed by Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow.who also directed one of my favourite vampire films, Near Dark. So maybe it's just I know talent when I see it!

Are we honestly calling this a bad movie? This movie is fucking incredible. I'd say this movie is just fun to discuss, but not in terms of it being a bad movie.

• Like 7

I put it in the Road House category of bad movies. It's basically one of those movies that I loved every minute but immediately said, "what a piece of garbage", when it ended. Do you know what I mean?

Gary Busey is in this movie, so you know it's good. to be all fair this is when he could act and before his bike accident and I never need to buy this movie as long as I pay my cable company.

I put it in the Road House category of bad movies. It's basically one of those movies that I loved every minute but immediately said, "what a piece of garbage", when it ended. Do you know what I mean?

Nope

I would like for Gary Busey to reprise his role as the mentor agent in the remake, but this time they don't give him a script and just let him improvise. That is the only way that a remake of this would be worth watching.

• Like 1

Shortly after Patrick Swayze's death, I went to a local art theater that for whatever reason had decided to do a week-long marathon of some of his movies. I went on a day that allowed me to see "Road House," "Red Dawn" and "Point Break" all in a row.

I'd read an in-depth recap of "Road House" so many times at that point (and had seen the movie recently enough) that the camp appeal of it was a little diminished. I had never seen "Red Dawn," and it was okay. But "Point Break," to my surprise, actually was still quite entertaining. Even if you ignore the preposterous premise (which the late, great Roger Ebert rightfully said could've made for a great "Naked Gun" movie), it's still a good little thriller, albeit with some hilariously WTF moments. (Note that a plot point revolves around Gary Busey's sudden desire for meatball sandwiches.)

Not that it wouldn't make a great episode. But it would be in the vein of the "Crank" episodes*, where they acknowledge that the movie isn't bad, but is amazing in its craziness.

* Which reminds me, they should cover "Ghost Rider 2" already. That movie was bonkers.

We just had this discussion.

Point Break is awesome! The whole Fast and Furious camp can thank Bigelow's vision of insane action and over the top acting. I think it would be fun to do this movie sheerly because of its...well...awesomeness!

• Like 1

I have a weird love affair with Keanu movies as he is a horrible actor, but when he is put into the right role, it just clicks. Point Break, Street Kings, and Speed, work so well because they have over the top/nonstop action and Reeves can act as the grimacing tough guy. Movies like Devil's Advocate, Dracula, and the first Matrix worked because there were either more competent actors in the movie to make it flow or super insane or Keanu was such a lighter part of the movie where his role was more action based or just small.

Was it the extreme sports bank robbers?

THIS.

99% of commenters agree, Point Break is a genuinely entertaining movie. Plus that dork from Red Hot Chili Peppers gets shot in the foot, which is how I feel about "Under The Bridge". Not a bad movie at all but there's so much to make fun of, from Keanu's lines to Busey in general to Swayze's redux of his Roadhouse zen philosophy.

Here in Portland (I apologize) there was a screening at a theater, they had a thing going where the audience could riff on the movie via text msg and it appeared onscreen as subtitles. It was the highlight of the year. I think they do a similar thing at the Alamo Drafthouse.

• Like 2

Here in Portland (I apologize) there was a screening at a theater, they had a thing going where the audience could riff on the movie via text msg and it appeared onscreen as subtitles. It was the highlight of the year. I think they do a similar thing at the Alamo Drafthouse.

That sounds like the kind of thing that's appealing in theory but difficult to do well. I mean, setting aside how fast you'd have to write and send a message to get it on screen before whatever you're talking about has passed, most people probably wouldn't have the kind of jokes or observations that would be fun to read for two hours.

If I ever go on the run all my aliases are going to be the names of Keanu Reeves movie characters...Johnny Utah, Shane Falco, Ted Logan...the list goes on and on.

That sounds like the kind of thing that's appealing in theory but difficult to do well. I mean, setting aside how fast you'd have to write and send a message to get it on screen before whatever you're talking about has passed, most people probably wouldn't have the kind of jokes or observations that would be fun to read for two hours.

The texting system had a couple moderators that were banning jerks, spammers, or just unfunny shit in general. And if there was a particularly good riff onscreen, they'd let it hang for an extra second. It mostly worked well, although during certain infamous lines of dialogue there would be a flood of nonstop repetitions of said line.

I'm now remembering that I attended another one of these for Schwarzenegger's Commando. That was fun, too, although I was pretty drunk. The beginning of that movie is fucking ridiculous, the ending fight is insane, actually the whole movie is JUST CRAZY ENOUGH TO WORK.

If you knew what movie it was going to be you'd probably have the text jokes already saved waiting to send.

Yeah, I was excited so I actually watched the film a week before and made a text file with scenes/times noted and the observations I wanted to make, and just pulled it up on my phone during the screening. I ended up getting a few really good ones in. I still have the whole text conversation saved.

Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey, Surfing bank robbers, what else could you want in a movie

Heres the Trailer

Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Gary Busey, Surfing bank robbers, what else could you want in a movie

Heres the Trailer

Don't you dare sully this amazing piece of cinematic art to this podcast. Don't you dare.