🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 60 — Street Fighter

took me a while to figure out what honda was saying at the end of that first commercial before finally realizing that they had him deliver the line as "so correct them"

"What..... exactly... IS... a 'STREET FIGHTER'?"

June is adorable.

2up7ex4.jpg

• Like 6

I am surprised that no one brought it up in the episode or that it has not been brought up in the boards yet, but they made a video game adaptation of a movie adaptation of a video game. Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, and it had the actors digitized for their respective roles and was so shitty. There was also a character in the movie that Capcom was apparently trying to make their new company mascot and have a few games based around, Sawada was his name and he was the Japanese guy who was like a 4th in command to Guile. I believe that was the other voice in the sound clip played, but the funny thing was that the actor playing Sawada didn't speak English so they badly dubbed over him, pulling out another Godzilla homage. They were trying to make him such a big deal that they featured him in the final group shot where everyone did their victory poses.

sawada7.jpg

• Like 1

Re: E Honda being Hawaiian in the film.

In Japan, with the Sumos in 1993 there was a Yokozuna, Sumo champion, who was Hawaiian, not Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia....ebono_Tar%C5%8D

So, Hawaiian Yokozuna in 1993 and a Hawaiian E Honda in 1994. Seems like they were paying tribute to Akebono.

fucking ridiculous that im distinguishing game cannon here from all other forms of street fighter media but i had it in my head for some reason that honda was a citizen of both england and japan in the games. unsure if this cannon was recognized in street fighter: second life: the game: the life

I am surprised that no one brought it up in the episode or that it has not been brought up in the boards yet, but they made a video game adaptation of a movie adaptation of a video game. Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, and it had the actors digitized for their respective roles and was so shitty. There was also a character in the movie that Capcom was apparently trying to make their new company mascot and have a few games based around, Sawada was his name and he was the Japanese guy who was like a 4th in command to Guile. I believe that was the other voice in the sound clip played, but the funny thing was that the actor playing Sawada didn't speak English so they badly dubbed over him, pulling out another Godzilla homage. They were trying to make him such a big deal that they featured him in the final group shot where everyone did their victory poses.

sawada7.jpg

People give that game a bad rap, but beyond the slap-dash visuals was a mechanically sound 2D fighting game. It didn’t live up to the standards of the Street Fighter series, but few games did at the time.

This episode was fantastic. June knocked it out of the park here.

There's a very special quality of these non nerd comedians looking at this movie. It takes it up to another level of "what the fuck is going in this movie?"

Maybe next time you guys watch a videogame movie you can spend a bit of time with the videogame. It will help see just how much movie version of videogames destroys the vision of the games.

Gemberling was a fantastic guest too. He drove a lot of the episode with his very useful knowledge that cleared a lot of things up.

So good.

• Like 2

I know I am going to sound like a dick, but please do some research into what the movie is based on. i hear about the making of the movie. If the movie is based on the game street fighter, look up the game. That movie is bad enough, but the game is fun and has a plot. The plot isn't good either but at least its fun.

• Like 1

Cute story about watching this movie with my mom as a kid:

DEE JAY: Because he paid me a freakin' fortune!

MOM: I thought he was Jamaican.

ME: What?

MOM: Didn't he say "He paid me an African fortune?"

• Like 2

I know I am going to sound like a dick, but please do some research into what the movie is based on. i hear about the making of the movie. If the movie is based on the game street fighter, look up the game. That movie is bad enough, but the game is fun and has a plot. The plot isn't good either but at least its fun.

I disagree, especially in the context of the show. A movie should stand on its own, whether it's an adaptation or not, and Jason, Paul, June and Guest are here to discuss a movie. If the film can't tell a cohesive story, that is what they are going to talk about, not "Well, the game has a cohesive story so etc etc." I'm not arguing that knowledge of the game could lead to an interesting convers--

Hmm. Actually, since the show is 'How DId This Get Made?' and this particular movie got made partially because of a hugely successful fighting video game, you have a point. Not so much a point about praising how fun the game is, but rather knowing what the game is plays a part in this film being greenlit.

• Like 11

I have to agree with you as well. I enjoyed the episode but I was disappointed to find out no one on the show, besides the guest, had even a cursory knowledge of the game (and enormously popular game at that) the movie was based on.

I have to agree with you as well. I enjoyed the episode but I was disappointed to find out no one on the show, besides the guest, had even a cursory knowledge of the game (and enormously popular game at that) the movie was based on.

Personally I think it kinda created a perfect variety in the conversation for them to be oblivious to the games, and their guest to have knowledge of it. If they had done research we wouldn't have had great moments like June being completely confused by the concept of a Street Fighter.

For future episodes I do think when they do a comic/game inspired movie that they should at least try to have a guest who knows about it, because it is good to have someone talk about how badly the movie fucked up the source material.

• Like 7

I don't think their lack of knowledge of Street Fighter was a big deal. In fact, the last thing I need to hear are more nerds arguing about the technicalities of game-to-movie translations, especially in this sense. I'm glad that they just took it in as a normal movie, because as a normal movie, this shit must have been BANANAS. Like, imagine watching the Mortal Kombat movie without knowing anything about the game.

Having said that, I don't think knowledge of the game would have brought anything new or different to the assessment of this film. Essentially all it did was make it easier for John to separate out the characters for everyone else.

• Like 6

EXACTLY, Wien. I concur.

Also, I want to post this because I just saw it online, and it's all anyone needs to know about Guile.

• Like 6

i think it is just an instance where the demos for this show skew towards a lot of us knowing what street fighter is and knowing what it is for most of our lives. i dont expect them to know much about it. i have a greater expectation of them to know more about the original wicker man than they did for that episode but it was still enjoyable and probably better off than constantly allusions to the effect of "well originally it was supposed to be like THIS"

edit oh dang got beaten on this point like a dude from bushido blade or whatever. video games.

I never played the game or watched the movie and this one still made me laugh.

Also I dig that they all jumped into a bonkers movie with zero point of reference. I would love to hear their reaction if they did the same with Final Fantasy:Spirits Within.

• Like 4

I don't think their lack of knowledge of Street Fighter was a big deal. In fact, the last thing I need to hear are more nerds arguing about the technicalities of game-to-movie translations, especially in this sense.

Haha, I don't know, I think learning from Gemberling how far removed the movie is from the game was another funny aspect of why this film is terrible. I don't think it's any different than when Paul cites some behind the scenes trivia to deepen our understanding of how bonkers the movie is. I don't think someone who simply is familiar with the source material HAS to be some nitpicking nerd, I think Gemberling definitely wasn't, and I don't think it made the show less entertaining for him to bring his knowledge to it.

The more angles they cover the better the conversation I think.

Haha, I don't know, I think learning from Gemberling how far removed the movie is from the game was another funny aspect of why this film is terrible. I don't think it's any different than when Paul cites some behind the scenes trivia to deepen our understanding of how bonkers the movie is. I don't think someone who simply is familiar with the source material HAS to be some nitpicking nerd, I think Gemberling definitely wasn't, and I don't think it made the show less entertaining for him to bring his knowledge to it.

The more angles they cover the better the conversation I think.

I get what you're saying, I just think its kind of an unnecessary rabbit hole. Fighting games are notorious for having loudy stories anyway (Tekken, anyone?), so I don't think the movie would be done any more justice than it was if it DID stick to the script. It would be different if it was a movie based off of a story driven game like a Final Fantasy or something, and got the entire core of its existence completely wrong.

But for movies like this... where would it end? The live action Dragon Ball Evolution movie? The Dead or Alive movie? I think Street Fighter does a good job being the standard bearer for this "genre"... its approachable, has some stars people know, clearly isn't up its own ass with Street Fighter ethos though it has plenty of nods (Nobody mentioned that M Bison was controlling the water mines with a Street Fighter arcade cabinet controller), has plenty of decent-to-good action scenes... I think most normal people could watch this movie and walk away with a sense of the niche being well represented.

For people looking for the hardcore stuff though, you might have to go to other sources for that. Nostelgia Critic or Angry Game Nerd or something.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this