🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 60 — Street Fighter

When JVCD ratting out his friend to Raul Julia was discussed, I was thinking about Die Hard and how, like a sane person, MacClane did everything he could to avoid the villain discovering any associations he had with the hostages. That's because his friends would be made to suffer in order to put pressure on him. JVCD, on the other hand was, "Fuck that noise -- I'm giving my buddy a shoutout!"

To find out the writer of one was the screenwriter of the other is insane.

• Like 1

I have, I HAVE to point out, that Charlie is a common nickname for people named Carlos. You could also throw in Carlito as well.

I enjoyed the episode although I would argue that the title of "worst videogame movie" would have to go to Uvve Boll's "House of the Dead". That film is so badly made it makes Street Fighter look like "Apocalypse Now" in comparison.

Disagree. 'My Dinner with Andre' is the easily the worst video game movie ever.

• Like 1

Ken and Ryu are kind of like "the ambiguously gay duo", they do a lot of gay stuff but there not gay. Ken was checking Chun Li out at the wierd circus. If there was any man action it was between Sagat and Vega.

"Hold on Charlie, I'm coming", Van Damme just fucked his buddy over. I'm thinkin Guile did this on purpose, because no one can be that ignorant.

Love the stock Gulf War footage as well, such a great movie!

How has NO ONE pointed out that Dee Jay was played by "Juwanna Mann"? I'll always remember him better as "guy that gets stabbed through an outhouse wall after singing a song to his also soon-to-be-dead girlfriend while taking a shit" in "Friday the 13th Part V: It's Not Even Jason In This Movie".

• Like 1

How has NO ONE pointed out that Dee Jay was played by "Juwanna Mann"? I'll always remember him better as "guy that gets stabbed through an outhouse wall after singing a song to his also soon-to-be-dead girlfriend while taking a shit" in "Friday the 13th Part V: It's Not Even Jason In This Movie".

His name is Miguel Nunez and he will always be Pretty Rick to me....cuz Pretty Rick is what they call him.

Haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm betting on lots of exasperated sighing from June over the fact that this was Raul Julia's final movie.

Haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm betting on lots of exasperated sighing from June over the fact that this was Raul Julia's final movie.

Surprisingly, I believe this is only brought up once.

I mean, with it being based on the second game rather than the first, it was staring them right in the face - "Street Fighter II: Operation Shadowloo".

...And Now I can't stop thinking of the 2009 Classic the guys should do next as "Street Fighter III: The Legend of Chun-Li"

No one really talked about this other film called Future Cops (1993), probably because no one knew about it. It's a Hong Kong movie where apparently the filmmakers didn't care about copyright infringement so they just put the characters from Street Fighter II in the film. I've seen some of it on YouTube, because they're not going to ever release this here on DVD, and it's bad enough to put on this show.

• Like 1

I knew a guy who worked as an extra on “Street Fighter”. He was ‘playing’ one of Bison’s dead guards in the climax scene. You’d think: easy gig, right? Well, he was actually required to lie upside down on a flight of stairs—not that comfortable for hours of shooting, especially when Mr Van Damme kept blowing one of his lines. And it was something simple like, “Get back there!” (not that surprising, if you look at JCVD’s movies, especially the “Bloodsport” era in which he averaged about five lines per movie). He flubbed take after take until my friend, uncomfortable and increasingly irritated, without raising his head, yelled, “LOOK IT’S ‘GET BACK THERE’, ALL RIGHT!” Set bursts into laughter; director shouts, “CUT! Who said that?” But my friend kept ‘dead’ still, wouldn’t own up to it. This prompts our buddy Jean-Claude to exit the set in something of a huff and decide to retire to his trailer for the rest of the day.

If anyone else had told me this tale, I would be dubious; but this is far from the most outlandish story about this guy. And I have seen his antics in person. He is absolutely the type of person who would do this. This story has only enlarged his legend in our eyes. I never get sick of telling it, even if it isn’t my own.

• Like 5

Did anyone else note the decore within Raul Julia's inner sanctum.

The 'seduction scene' with Kristi Yamaguchi.

Definately my favorite, WOW!

The best painting is a straight up hilarious nod to John Wayne Gacy. (Executed same year as this film)

Instead of Gacy's self-portrait, the painted clown is Raul Julia LOL.

I cant believe they threw that one in there...

Note the other painting in this scene...Napoleon Crossing the Alps by Jacques-Louis David.

Amusingly, it is Bison crossing the Alps instead. God, I wonder whose house that one is hanging in now...

Oh and did I forget to mention the hilariously tasteless chandelier and other skull-and-bone furniture? There is a nice lingering shot of the chandelier. Given the setting in southeast Asia, I can only assume this was intended as a nice reference to the victims of the Khmer Rouge. The groundfloor skull-and-bones columns also resemble the memorials in Cambodia.

Incidentally, the exterior of Raul Julia's base of operations is definately a dead ringer for Angkor Wat.

post-40242-0-94207700-1366751130_thumb.png

post-40242-0-31123100-1366751342_thumb.png

I still can't get over the fact that "Guille" had someone from the UN "edit" a BETA-MAX tape of cherrished memories that must be brought to all major UN bases just in case he needs an emotional "pick-me-up" before battle with Bison...

I'm only saying this because I love you guys and want to see you soar to perfection, but more making fun of insane parts of the movie, less carrying on over unimportant plot details. More impressions of cigar shop men writing the script to Devils Advocate, less debating Eddie Murphey's club owner status in Pluto Nash. More making fun of Christine's makeup and missed pizza outings in Burlesque, less tracing family trees in Sleepaway Camp. More mindblowing name revelations in Reindeer Games, less debating the definition of a street fighter.

well i probably think differently but im glad we are all posting friends who like bad movies

I'm only saying this because I love you guys and want to see you soar to perfection, but more making fun of insane parts of the movie, less carrying on over unimportant plot details. More impressions of cigar shop men writing the script to Devils Advocate, less debating Eddie Murphey's club owner status in Pluto Nash. More making fun of Christine's makeup and missed pizza outings in Burlesque, less tracing family trees in Sleepaway Camp. More mindblowing name revelations in Reindeer Games, less debating the definition of a street fighter.

June asking what a "street fighter" is the funniest part of the episode. In fact, it goes to the very silliness of the movie and how it had absolutely NOTHING to do with street fighting. Like someone else said, the movie should have been called Operation:Shadowloo.

For you, the day you did a podcast about Street Fighter: The Movie was the most important day of your life, but for me....

...it was tuesday.

Its quite funny how bad the plot in this movie is. At this point the games have probably have more cohesive storylines than the movie does. Then dont get me started about the various animated movies, they all have immensely better than Street Fighter: The Movie.

No one really talked about this other film called Future Cops (1993), probably because no one knew about it. It's a Hong Kong movie where apparently the filmmakers didn't care about copyright infringement so they just put the characters from Street Fighter II in the film...

That movie is ridiculous - I watched it with some friends about 6 months ago. It's definitely a total rip-off of the characters - almost at a parodic level. Overall a surreal and quite bizarre experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJ7LRuw-B0

Someone posted this over on an off topic thread about what an Earwolf video game should be like:

Just a straight port of Street Fighter 2, but with the sprites swapped with Earwolf personalities, and of course, June Diane Raphael narrating.

That was an awesome piece.

Street Fighter could be an excellent movie if they did it more akin to the Manga Animated Movie, which focused on Ryu (as it should, it's a Street Fighter movie). They make a live action version of that. Then they'd really have something.

Sign in to follow this