🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
fergburp

Drop Dead Fred (1991)

Very odd movie from my childhood..they showed it on Cinemax or HBO all the time. Just saw it listed on Netflix. This is just one of those messed-up movies that doesn't know what it wants to be, and as a child, it always made me feel very uncomfortable.

Currently being remade with Russell Brand.

I still love this insane movie, but I agree it should be done.

• Like 1

This would be a fun review to listen to. This movie has a serious cult following, but as a movie/plot, it is insane. Literally, insane.

So bad it's good.

• Like 1

I love this movie. It's disturbing and tonally all over the place, but I love it.

• Like 1

I was just about to start a topic about this movie. Anyways, I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago on Netflix and this movie is beyond bat-shit insanity. Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPPENING IN THIS MOVIE?!?!?!? Phoebe Cates is crazy to the point that it's a bit scary. The dude playing Drop Dead Fred is like a more annoying and creepy Johnny Rotten (btw, they might as well had gotten the real Johnny Rotten to do this role.), the mother is such a bitch and the new guy trying to go out with Phoebe Cates is just as crazy as she is! Also, was Phoebe Cates' character suffering from some type of Arrested Development? She would dress like an 8 year old and she had a very subtle man-child (or woman-child if you prefer) like way about her character. There just so much craziness happening in this movie.

Hate to rain on the parade, but I think it falls in the "Toys" realm. I would shoot myself after hearing Mantzoukinfanalksis say "fucking bonkers" about a hundred times. Would maybe hear an episode on Biodome . . .

• Like 1

I loved Rik Mayall on The Young Ones, but I never understood the appeal of this movie. It came out when I was in high school and all of my friends were batshit in love with it. This film just seemed hyper-annoying and manically cloying. It has a very devoted fan base who will defend this movie with insane levels of rabid dedication. So, for these fans alone, this movie must be taken down like a foaming-at-the-mouth dog.

This is the movie I've been waiting for them to watch. Just really a fucked up movie but its enjoyable and has so many parts to talk about.

I think June will veto Paul when it comes to this like Jason did with Face/Off. Didnt she say on a recent episode that she loves this movie?

• Like 1

Didnt she say on a recent episode that she loves this movie?

I was just goung to post about this... I also remember June saying that she loved this movie...

This film helped marked the end of Phoebe Cates's career where following 1994's Princess Caraboo, retired from acting to become a full-time mother with Kevin Kline.

She made the right choice, she peaked in Fast Times. I do remember Princess Caraboo thoroughly confusing me when I watched as a kid. It is interesting that the movie was based on a true story.

God dam you Kevin Kline for taking away this jewel of an actress.

and is there nothing she can't do.

My english teacher was friends with a guy who was hired to write the sequel but it fizzled when Mayall decided he was too old to the play the role again.

4ktuo7.jpg

If you have not seen it, GO to the video store and don't rent, but buy this masterpiece of a movie.

Drop Dead Fred is a 1991 British-American black comedy fantasy film. The film was promoted as a lighthearted children's film, but there are notable adult themes and gags, and some elements of black comedy, emotional abuse, mental illness, bizarre visual and make-up effects, and profanity. 

Rik Mayall starred as the title character: a happy, anarchic, and mischievous imaginary friend of a young girl named Elizabeth (Phoebe Cates) and nemesis of her overbearing mother, Polly (Marsha Mason). He causes chaos around the home and neighborhood, but nobody can see him except her. When she grows up and has an emotional crisis, he returns to "cheer her up" in his own unique way, causing more chaos than ever before. The supporting cast included Carrie Fisher, Ron Eldard, Tim Matheson, and Bridget Fonda.

Sign in to follow this