🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atomslayer

Horrible Idea

I don't know why the show would stoop this low. The head shop ads just make the podcast impossible to reccomend to any friends. I would understand a bit more if it was just bongs and harmless stuff, but does earwolf/the show really want to put its name behind fake urine to trick drug tests (the daily special) and 50 packs of whip its? I can understand the argument that weed is okay, but whip its are pretty screwed up. I mean Comedy Bang Bang is a TV show and certain shows on the network are sponsored by real companies (HBO, Comedy Central, Pepsi for like 2 weeks), does the network still really need to take any sponsor who knocks on the front door?

TLDR; The head shop ads make the show unprofessional, unappealing and impossible to reccomend to a large majority of my family.

• Like 1

Your family probably understands that free shows have to have sponsors. They should be able to understand that it isn't illegal to partake in any of this stuff in california. They don't have to buy illicit swag to support the show either. They can also skip the adds and then they wouldn't even know who the sponsors were.

TLDR; As the head-shop owner would say...chill bro.

• Like 2

So, your family would be cool with sketches about pre-cum, but a headshop ad goes too far?

• Like 8

Jeff Ullrich appeared on the paidContent Podcast a few weeks ago, during which he explained the strict vetting process that companies must undergo before their wares can be advertised on Earwolf. The most important point is that hosts maintain veto power over the sponsors that appear on their shows, explaining why the head shop ads appear on Improv4Humans and Who Charted? — Besser and Howard have been pretty forthcoming about their cannabis usage in the past — but not on Comedy Bang Bang.

At the same time, Jeff also noted that Earwolf had never advertised sex toys or other shady products, seemingly as a point of pride. Yet here we are two weeks later with ads for drug paraphernalia across multiple shows. I'm less concerned about the content of the ads than I am curious about the apparent contradiction. But only mildly curious at that.

• Like 1

There's like 70+ I4H's without this sponsor, get grandma hooked with the early episodes.

Atomslayer,

This is the first episode that had this advertisement. Judging from Matt's ad (I listened to it again), it appears that SDR Shop only bought ad time for 4/20 - I don't know if they will be sponsoring any more episodes of i4h. Also, while Matt ultimately decided on accepting the ad and therefore it can be argued that he supports everything that the website sells (I personally don't think that's fair), he did not mention the 50 packs of whippets or fake drug tests. If your friends and family, who find drug usage offensive, listen to the podcast, there is no way that they would know about that unless they actually visited the site. I personally don't smoke or do anything else and had no idea about the non-weed related items that the site sells until I read this post. I'm going out on a limb here but I imagine that someone, who finds drug use offensive, would be even less inclined to visit the site.

That said, I hope you continue to listen to the podcast and recommend it to your friends and family. It's personally my favorite, and I hope you don't let this ad get in the way of your enjoying a truly great podcast!

Bundi

• Like 2

I could have sworn I've heard Adam and Eve ads on Who Charted or something before... Maybe that was on Hot Sex Talk with Dr. Dick Wanger (the #1 adult podcast)

Anyways I don't have a problem with the ads. Matt clearly knows his audience.

• Like 2

I'm honestly super surprised that someone so offended by a weed paraphernalia shop ad has managed to be a fan of Improv4humans this long. With all the things that have been said on this podcast that just seems like such a weird and arbitrary place to draw a line.

To each their own though I guess.

• Like 2

Well first of all a lot of my family is in law enforcement so that is why I would feel weird reccomending this to them, and I maintain (especially if Jeff said they prided themselves on not doing extreme restraints/adam and eve ads) that this just make the show seem shady as fuck. It is selling stuff that is barely stradling the border of legal and illegal. I personally am not offended by the content, just feel like it makes the show feel low-rent and desperate. Matt said he wanted to keep them as a sponsor for a while, voicing this opinion so a mistake could be avoided. I really would love this show to succeed. Also have been listening to earwolf stuff since the first Andy Samberg episode of Comedy Bang Bang and love Gelmania, I'm not a prude. Just thought this was shady.

TLDR; Did not find the ad to be morally offensive, just a mistake that lowered the show's reputation

Do you object to them advertising a headshop period? Or just this particular headshop because some of it's products? Because I can understand the latter, but I can't understand the former.

Well first of all a lot of my family is in law enforcement so that is why I would feel weird reccomending this to them, and I maintain (especially if Jeff said they prided themselves on not doing extreme restraints/adam and eve ads) that this just make the show seem shady as fuck. It is selling stuff that is barely stradling the border of legal and illegal. I personally am not offended by the content, just feel like it makes the show feel low-rent and desperate. Matt said he wanted to keep them as a sponsor for a while, voicing this opinion so a mistake could be avoided. I really would love this show to succeed. Also have been listening to earwolf stuff since the first Andy Samberg episode of Comedy Bang Bang and love Gelmania, I'm not a prude. Just thought this was shady. TLDR; Did not find the ad to be morally offensive, just a mistake that lowered the show's reputation

Recommend it to them anyway! Just because they are cops doesn't mean they can't laugh at "stoners" or humor created by people who use drugs. Most cops are normal people who have a sense of humor about everything including their job. It's not like I4H is being sponsored by a cartel and like Wuffy said, there's a plethora of episodes that don't have that add including today's episode. It's good that you care about the show and it's reputation, but the only way to find out if it offends your family or not is to just give it to them and let them listen themselves. This show is for HUMANS ONLY. Still pretty inclusive. :)

P.S. I have made my parents listen during road trips. Mom doesn't get improv. Dad thinks its weird.

• Like 2

Holy shit. I can't fathom listening to a I4H episode with my parents. They consider Newhart a little edgy.

Yeah they're old hippies. Not the "hey man....." type.

I heard them laughing in the back seat at the Mantzoukas/Parham/St. Clair episode on the way to some wedding though so they didn't totally write it off.

Yeah, it's gotten kind of crazy around here. I think Jeff has gone power mad from all the reefer. Everyone now has to smoke angel dust before we can even enter the office. He has even started paying us in fake urine. I was there during the recording session where he blew PCP in Matt's face and forced him at knife-point to read the ad against his will. We were all pretty shaken up. I agree comedy podcasts, 4/20 holidays and smoking illicit dope doesn't mix AT all.

• Like 5

Yeah, it's gotten kind of crazy around here. I think Jeff has gone power mad from all the reefer. Everyone now has to smoke angel dust before we can even enter the office. He has even started paying us in fake urine. I was there during the recording session where he blew PCP in Matt's face and forced him at knife-point to read the ad against his will. We were all pretty shaken up. I agree comedy podcasts, 4/20 holidays and smoking illicit dope doesn't mix AT all.

Very thankful for your work, but your being very biased and dissmissive. SDR didn't take back Improv4humans, so its sort of a non-issue now. I think sponsors like this should have Jeff or someone else involved purely in the business side of things take a look at them to see if Earwolf wants them and then give the offers to host to accept/veto. I am 99.9% sure Matt had no clue what the website had besides the weed stuff because he did not look. Maybe everyone at Earwolf is fine with doing ads for whippets/drug test tricking kits, but I would doubt it. I also think the "no sex websites" thing should be reconsidered. Comedy podcasts and adult type stores don't mix AT all in the same way it does not mix with dope. Extreme restraints ads for My Brother, My Brother and Me have become a fan favorite segment that is hilarious and refusing them on principle seems close minded.

TLDR; SDR no longer a sponsor of I4H, but I feel the way sponsors are accepted and the policy on what sponsors to take is flawed.

• Like 1

Bring this person on the show for a "case closed" segment.

Seriously though. He's not backing down.

chant with me now CASE CLOSED! CASE CLOSED! CASE CLOSED!

u1m9K.gif

• Like 3

Very thankful for your work, but your being very biased and dissmissive. SDR didn't take back Improv4humans, so its sort of a non-issue now. I think sponsors like this should have Jeff or someone else involved purely in the business side of things take a look at them to see if Earwolf wants them and then give the offers to host to accept/veto. I am 99.9% sure Matt had no clue what the website had besides the weed stuff because he did not look. Maybe everyone at Earwolf is fine with doing ads for whippets/drug test tricking kits, but I would doubt it. I also think the "no sex websites" thing should be reconsidered. Comedy podcasts and adult type stores don't mix AT all in the same way it does not mix with dope. Extreme restraints ads for My Brother, My Brother and Me have become a fan favorite segment that is hilarious and refusing them on principle seems close minded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

• Like 1

Seriously though. He's not backing down.

chant with me now CASE CLOSED! CASE CLOSED! CASE CLOSED!

u1m9K.gif

How the hell did you have this gif ready Shannon? Tell me you watch RAW and Smack Down.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this