🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 136 — Black Metal

Aren't you the one that told me to get my daishiki untwisted about the Onion calling a little girl a cunt?

Yes, after you called me a Klansman and I realized you were only interested in engaging with straw men. Yet here I am again.

It's not even a valid comparison. Ti is demonstrably wrong about something and somehow that's exactly the same as wondering whether there's more than one reason some guy in a cowboy hat looked at you funny.

Totally valid comparison. You all expect Andrew to have this deep knowledge of black metal before he can have a "valid" opinion, just like someone should expect you to have deep knowledge of Darwin kernel before you can give an "valid" opinion on your Mac Air.

What an enlightened opinion. I'll bet you know so much about the genre.

Cool it, bro. We all do shit we should have stopped doing at fifteen (like argue with salty anti-racists on the internet).

Yes, after you called me a Klansman and I realized you were only interested in engaging with straw men. Yet here I am again.

Oh, you didn't get the joke, Hyde? Oh well...

Isn't whitesplaining a racist term in itself?

How exactly is it racist, Spirit Bear?

I'm not going to properly insert myself into this discourse, because it's not something I feel qualified to talk about, but:

butthurt

Come the fuck on. If you're going to argue against racism, don't do it by submitting to homophobia and patriarchy.

Shariq, you sound like a reverse racist. It's so annoying when people see racism in everything. Maybe its just that a lot of people are stupid.

Racism is in everything because the entire world is founded on exploitation, race being one of said things exploited. Western imperialism and capitalism only serve to further discrimination and subjugation.

Its not in everything. Such a lame blanket statement.

Well, I guess you're right. Racism is only in everything that involves humans. So I guess racism in the bicycle world doesn't exist. You got me.

• Like 1

Eh, it basically seems like the hosts and the caller had the majority/minority of racist Black Metal bands flipped. As someone already pointed out, it's really known for anti-christian sentiments...Of course, metal/rock genres are always going to have more racist acts than say...Funk, or polka, I guess.

Anyway, I guess I could understand what he was saying if he said, "If you don't want to see anti-christian, don't listen to Black Metal," which would still be narrow-minded, but understandable. So, I like the black metal band Legion a good amount. Even though they aren't anti-christian, I wouldn't bring up "loving black metal," to a group of Christians... Does any of this make sense?

Eh, it basically seems like the hosts and the caller had the majority/minority of racist Black Metal bands flipped. As someone already pointed out, it's really known for anti-christian sentiments...Of course, metal/rock genres are always going to have more racist acts than say...Funk, or polka, I guess.

Anyway, I guess I could understand what he was saying if he said, "If you don't want to see anti-christian, don't listen to Black Metal," which would still be narrow-minded, but understandable. So, I like the black metal band Legion a good amount. Even though they aren't anti-christian, I wouldn't bring up "loving black metal," to a group of Christians... Does any of this make sense?

If there is anything I have learned in this thread is that you cannot make broad generalizations about black metal fans. They are neither racist or non-racist, they are neither Christian or non-Christian. They are too much of an individual for that.

If there is anything I have learned in this thread is that you cannot make broad generalizations about black metal fans. They are neither racist or non-racist, they are neither Christian or non-Christian. They are too much of an individual for that.

I would agree with this. I believe that people are capable of racism and tolerance independent of what kind of music he or she happens to find audibly pleasing.

• Like 2

Shariq is a racist.

No, he is not. I think he does get a little extreme on matters of racial politics, and have disagreed with him many times. But it sucks that we can't have discussions about race without this kind of "reverse racism" bullshit.

Andrew is obviously not being serious when he says white people suck, but when you see shit like this all the time it's hard to not feel that way on some level.

Fucking white people. God dammit.

Shariq is a racist.
No, he is not. I think he does get a little extreme on matters of racial politics, and have disagreed with him many times. But it sucks that we can't have discussions about race without this kind of "reverse racism" bullshit.

The kernel of many of Shariq's arguments is "[described behavior] is the product of America's institutionalized marginalization of minority voices." The fact that people keep showing up here week after week to post (in short) "This is stupid/wrong, why is it even being discussed?" simply lends further credence to Shariq's argument.

It'd be great if all of the regular participants in the forum could lay off the ad hominem attacks and straight-up trolling but, barring that, at least stop reporting each other to the moderators so often. You goddamned babies.

• Like 1

Shariq isn't a racist, he's an asshole.

Andrew Ti also is not a racist, but he's incurious and ignorant.

I was just being silly. I went to high school with a few people like him and could never understand where they were coming from.

You goddamned babies.

I find this use of delegitimizing language minimizes and silences the lived experience of our grievance.

Shariq is a racist.

This statement, coming from you, is like a child molester calling someone a pervert. It has no impact when you're the one throwing it around.

You know the reason that I "see race in everything" is because your racist father, your racist grandfather, and your racist great grandfather all worked real hard to make sure that race was a part of everything. They wanted race to be a part of whether you could get a job, race to determine where you live, race to determine even where you drank water out of a fountain. They LOVED that shit, and passed that love down to you. That's why I work real hard to dismantle the shit that they set up, and why you work real hard trying to make everyone think that its all make believe.

"Pay no attention to the racist behind the curtain, people!"

Shariq isn't a racist, he's an asshole.

Andrew Ti also is not a racist, but he's incurious and ignorant.

The problem with you is you're just an idiot.

I was just being silly. I went to high school with a few people like him and could never understand where they were coming from.

You're a huge racist now, so I can only imagine how offensive you were in high school.