🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

The Quick and the Dead

Sharon Stone as a gunslinger with an agenda.

Gene Hackman as an old west mob boss.

Russel Crowe as an outlaw turned preacher.

Leonardo DiCaprio as a Billy the Kid knockoff.

This movie is crazy as Hackman holds a quickdraw tournament in the town he runs, with the tournament sponsored by Wells Fargo. Almost every cliche of Western characters is in the tournament. Stone comes to the town for revenge against Hackman while Dicaprio wants to prove he's better than Hackman. There is a bonkers morning after boning scene between Stone and DiCaprio where he shows her that he sleeps on dynamite and there is child rape, just because.

Whats great is that the townspeople being lorded over by Hackman want to be free of his tyranny, but in the end of the movie, the town is in the worst possible shape imaginable, basically leaving them with a death sentence.

Hackman tears this movie up. "It takes a lot to scare me. I love the sensation." is one of my favorite movie lines. A western directed by Sam Raimi? Yes please! Sharon Stone is ok but she is totally outshined by all the really great actors hamming it up in this flick.

Oh and I forgot about the blind kid who can see everything going on except for what bullet he is throwing to Crowe's character. Also, there is a well hidden easter egg concerning one of the gunfighters. Says his name is Virgil Sparks and that he's the "pride of Texas," but when you see Stone in the second, there is a small posted behind her with his name on it and if you rewind the film you see it's a wanted poster for him for the crimes of "Murder!" and "Rape!" Apparently the two women he had on his arms can't read.

I love this movie. This is great western with some fun Riami stylings. It gets crazy in parts, but I don't think of it as HDTGM crazy.

Bumping this because I feel it deserves some HDTGM love.

Sign in to follow this