🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
easttexas

Varsity Blues

This movie is like a thirteen year old boy's fantasy of what it will be like to play football in high school. Girls in whip cream bikini's, teachers that moonlight as strippers, and cops that are too intimidated by the football coach to do anthing when the players drink and steal police cars! When I was in the Navy we stopped in Toulon France and while walking around town I saw a poster for this movie at the local theater and it was called "American Boys".

American Boys could be the name of everything JVDB has ever done. Wait, make that "over-privileged white american boys."

American Boys could be the name of everything JVDB has ever done. Wait, make that "over-privileged white american boys."

Except for "Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23." That was a perfect title.

For whatever reason, one late night I read the Wikipedia page for this movie, which is kind of bizarre. I mean, the cast listing actually details the fates of the characters, down to who coaches the football team years afterward. I get that it's all in the movie, but it seemed like whoever wrote it all believed they were real people instead of characters in an MTV movie.

(MTV Films, incidentally, has one of the most schizophrenic track records for a mini-studio ever. You have stuff like "Joe's Apartment," "Dead Man on Campus" and "The Perfect Score" mixed in with enjoyable stuff like "Orange County" and "Beavis and Butthead," and even the odd legitimate good movie like "Hustle and Flow" and "Election." Of course, now they seem to be dedicated to doing 3D concert films based on intolerable pop idols like Bieber and Katy Perry.)

Having rewatched this recently, I have to agree. This movie gets batshit in more than a few places. And the JVDB crying face is worth it alone.

Sign in to follow this