⚠️ Read this before you sign up! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BagguhMcGuirk

Kick starter

This shit has gotten out of hand. If you don't know what kick starter is, apparently it's a website where people go to beg other people for money to make their movies/tv shows that nobody else will put the money up for. Recently the guy who created Veronica Mars started one to raise money for a movie version, asking for a few million dollars in a one month period. In less than 24 hours they had raised over 2 million dollars.

Now I'm sure most you will say people are free to do what they want with their money, to which I say fuck you. That may seem harsh but I can guarantee you that's what these people say to the bum who asks them for a dollar when they're leaving 7-11. I don't normally get worked up over stuff like this but these people are literally(figuratively) spitting in the face of everybody who works their ass of and still can't pay their bills.

Anyways, the thing that made me write this was what I just read on AVClub.com. Apparently the great film auteur Zak Braff started one today to raise money for a film nobody would make because, you know, Zak braff is a shitty filmmaker. As of right now he has raised $870,000 in less than 24 hours. I would love to see how much he could raise if instead of asking for money for a movie, he was raising it to help the poor in America. And I would really love to see how much he would raise if it was for poor Africans or Mexicans.

America truly is the greatest country in the world.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Braf, but I don't have any objection to kickstarter. Frankly, it's a great way for fans to invest in something they want to come to see happen. If by spending a bit of money they get to see something they care about exist. Also, why do you assume that the straw man you just created would say fuck you to a homeless person just because they want to spend their money on the creation of some project. How can you guarantee this? Do you know the personality and behaviors of all people who want to contribute? (Also, how many people say "fuck you" to homeless people?)

Personally, I think it is ridiculous to say that people shouldn't spend money on wanting to see art when they could be giving to the poor. First of all, it's not like the only choice is one or the other. These are separate things. I mean, there's a lot of money to go around. Yeah, I think people should be getting more involved in charities and such, but if you think this is somehow taking money AWAY from charities, you're being pretty naive. I don't think you can guarantee that a person has a prescribed behavior or habit because they want to see a comic book or movie get made.

Also, how is this spitting on a person who makes less money. My job is pretty low paying, but I don't feel spit on when I see someone using their money for fun. I feel spit on when they treat someone poorly. Perhaps they could be using their money better, but I think the argument that some frivolous little choice is an offense.

What's more, like you said, people are free to do what they want with their money, even give it to the cast of Scrubs. If people want to contribute to a project, why do you feel the need to shame them for using their money poorly. The person wants to make a project and a fan wants to see a project happen. It's not really any more insidious than that unless the first party misappropriate funds.

It seems to me you are more concerned with a lack of empathy towards the homeless and want to take it out on an unrelated party.

My problem is both how much money these people are raising for a movie and how little time it is taking. By raising millions of dollars in less than 24 hours we are, collectively as a country, saying fuck you to the homeless, to the sick, and to the elderly. I find something horribly wrong with a country that can raise over a million dollars for a hollywood movie in less than 24 hours but if the same person started collecting for some type of charity wouldn't come anywhere near that.

To me Kick starter is a place where people with no hollywood connections, and aren't even close to being millionares, who don't have any way to get a movie made go to present their ideas and raise the money they need. What people like Braff and the Veronica Mars guy did was use their celebrity to get people to give them money. Give them money for something they couldn't get made, even though they have every advantage someone could hope for, by telling them they'll be their bestest friend if they do.

That's my personal opinion, if you don't find anything wrong with what they're doing than more power to you.

This is written like the misinformed 18 year old child of a studio executive who is just regurgitating what they over-hear their father/mother complain about.

Did you actually read anything from Braff's Kickstarter? "I was about to sign a typical financing deal in order to get the money to make "Wish I Was Here," my follow up to “Garden State.” It would have involved making a lot of sacrifices I think would have ultimately hurt the film."

And do you realize that donating to a Kickstarter always involves receiving some sort of product in return? Assuming you donate a minimum dollar amount, usually around 5 or 10 dollars. Basically you are pre-paying for the product (usually a price a bit inflated) that is not yet made/created and you have the option to pay more to receive more things super fans would be interested in. Comparing this to charity is silly.

Your "personal opinion" isn't rooted in any amount of knowledge and reeks of jealousy.

Sign in to follow this