🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NickArnold

Is this the worst podcast on Earwolf.

Is this the worst podcast on Earwolf?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the worst Podcast on Earwolf?

• Yes
    • No
    • This topic is racist cause a white male made it

It is likely the worst, but not for the reasons you probably think it is. The 5 day a week format is lame--you have to hear the same intros and outros over and over again, and sometimes they're around 5 minutes long (I'm thinking of that one where the guest spent forever explaining how he got his Twitter name.) Ti is a lackluster and underprepared host. If he had a personality or was at all funny it would be easier to take some of his dumber comments. The guests are usually just whatever.

is this the worst thread on earwolf. ha ha. that guy over there gets it

It is likely the worst, but not for the reasons you probably think it is. The 5 day a week format is lame--you have to hear the same intros and outros over and over again, and sometimes they're around 5 minutes long (I'm thinking of that one where the guest spent forever explaining how he got his Twitter name.) Ti is a lackluster and underprepared host. If he had a personality or was at all funny it would be easier to take some of his dumber comments. The guests are usually just whatever.

The five day a week format is the only reason people notice it. At any given time there are like three episodes of it on the front page while other, lesser shows (Ronna and Beverly? The Reality Show Show?) pass mostly unnoticed and unremarked upon.

Why can't they combine the shows into one big show at the end of the week? I hate listening to the same introduction conversation with the guest at the begining of each show. My theory would be Andrew does not want ads for some reason and Earwolf would require ads on the longer show. Love the podcast though, this thread is racist, keep it up!

• Like 1

Why can't they combine the shows into one big show at the end of the week? I hate listening to the same introduction conversation with the guest at the begining of each show. My theory would be Andrew does not want ads for some reason and Earwolf would require ads on the longer show. Love the podcast though, this thread is racist, keep it up!

i thought about this today. advice podcasts only work if the host knows what hes talking about and can give a concise answer for example, the savage lovecast (sex advice) is the paul f. tompkins episode format. since andrew doesn't really know what he's talking about (purposefully or not) they just riff. and riffing gets boring when the host isnt a trained comedian.

also, the worst earwolf show was shortwave. boring is an understatement for that show.

While I also find the formatting issues that other folks mentioned (repeated intros/outros) a little tiresome, I think this show is a fantastic addition to Earwolf. The issue of comedy & race/racism is interesting, complex, and difficult, so I think it's especially great that there's a show on Earwolf, a comedy-focused network, that directly talks about race & racism.

Also, I really like Andrew and I think he's a smart and thoughtful guy. That doesn't mean I agree with every single thing he has to say, but even when I do disagree, listening to the conversation gets me thinking about the subjects of discussion, as well as thinking about my own reactions (what does it mean if I defend something that's problematic, etc.). The best episodes of this show get into some really insightful stuff. The worst, I suppose, make some pretty broad generalizations, but I don't ultimately find that entirely offputting, because those episodes still get me to think (see above). I do agree, as others have said, that a little bit of research here and there would benefit the show, because it would make conversations/analyses richer and more insightful, but that's just one little critique. Overall, I'm definitely excited that this show is on here.

• Like 3

I don't listen to the podcast but I remember seeing Jeff Ulrich say one time that whenever they combined a week's worth of episodes for the PFT ep, it got way less listeners than the 5 day a week format.

• Like 1

There are easy fixes-- give the guest a proper intro on Monday and then edit it down to the essentials (name, what they do) for the rest of the week. We don't need to hear the same 3-5 minutes of banter 5 times a week. The intro is about a third of the show. Also, that PFT episode was in like the third week of the show, who knows what the numbers would be if they tried it now. Would CBB get more downloads if they broke it into 5 mini-episodes a week? Maybe, but that would suck.