🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
scagdeal

Manhattan Murder Mystery diss? C'mon!

During Episode 61, while discussing bad Woody Allen movies Manhattan Murder Mystery was mentioned. I have to take issue with this. My parents took me to see it when I was in middle school while I was being punished and I had to spend the weekend with them. It was the first Woody Allen film I had ever seen. I loved it at the time and have seen it at least six times since. It's no Crimes and Misdemeanors but it's nowhere near one of his worst. It has some great jokes ("I can't listen to too much Wagner, I get the urge to conquer Poland"), some great Woody Allen physical comedy (trying to break down a door with his shoulder), and the murder mystery is kind of suspenseful. Diane Keaton is wonderful, Alan Alda is a delight, and both Anjelica Huston and Joy Behar score. I urge you to check it out again and maybe apologize on air for lumping it in with The Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Thanks guys. Love the show.

In my opinion, it's on the level of middling Woody Allen works like 'Mighty Aphrodite', 'Melinda and Melinda' and 'Celebrity'. Enjoyable, but not in the upper pantheon.

Allen himself described MMM as a dessert, not a film to be taken seriously. I tend to agree with him.

While it's certainly not up there with Allen's best movies, MMM does have one of my favorite movie quotes:

"there's nothing wrong with you that can't be cured with a little Prozac and a polo mallet."