🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 217 — The WTF Hour

Oh cool, an episode of a podcast where Marc talks about himself for an hour!

(Not sarcasm)

... most of these bonus eps are plugging something specific anyway so I expected it.

Hmm, interesting - so do you think it was a serious episode because Marc Maron's IFC promoter people thought that'd be a better way to get the message out? Last time Maron was on they had a really fun shenanigan filled episode, and he seemed to be having a good time, so I don't think it's him that requested it be a serious episode. Or do you think a 2nd guest flaked out and this was Aukerman's way of making the best out of the situation?

OH NOO!!! Can I not use this gif anymore? I feel bad promoting a time when Scott feels he looks bad

295x360.jpg

I think you look great Scott.

• Like 4

Hmm, interesting - so do you think it was a serious episode because Marc Maron's IFC promoter people thought that'd be a better way to get the message out? Last time Maron was on they had a really fun shenanigan filled episode, and he seemed to be having a good time, so I don't think it's him that requested it be a serious episode. Or do you think a 2nd guest flaked out and this was Aukerman's way of making the best out of the situation?

I didn't even think of it as a "serious" episode. It was one on one, but it seemed just as fun and loose as most episodes.

• Like 1

Loved the episode! Very enjoyable change of pace.

Such a great episode. It's popped in my mind way too many times that Marc needs to come back to Bang Bang. Selfishly I've been hoping for Marc in the traditional CBB format of interview interrupted by crazy character and then a game but this was really nice. I was afraid it would be nothing but serious but Scott kept his general, well, Scottyness about him. These two need to get together more. Marc is ridiculously entertaining at Would You Rather? Thank you for saying Maron in your Italian way in front of the man.

• Like 1

Fucking marvellous episode. Two great men that taste great together.

Or something less gay.

• Like 1

I don't know if the CBB theme song is necessarily "precious", but it most certainly is based on the the novel "Push" by Sapphire.

• Like 6

Roger Taylor made love with a steering wheel once, so I heard.

Well, he was in love with his car. He had a feel for his automobile.

This is more of a b-b-b-b-bonus episode of WTF than it is a b-b-b-b-bonus episode of CBB.

Agreed! But it wasn't bad or anything. It was just weird that Maron stays pretty serious the whole time which is kind of not what I listen to CBB for (I guess it's because there was no second guest). Scott keeps trying to derail him into more surreal and irreverent CBB-like territory with homophones and the like and it just doesn't work, which, in itself is pretty funny.

• Like 1

Patton Oswalt has got to be fuming with jealousy that Scott was really able to get into Maron's pain without being interrupted by an abuser of the open door policy.

• Like 5

Wow. What a terrible episode of Comedy Bang Bang. Absolutely jam-packed with the worst kind of navel-gazing. Scott tried his best to make it interesting but was shot down at every turn by the relentlessly self-obsessed Marc Maron. If that's what the WTF podcast is like, I'm glad I've never listened to it.

• Like 1

I was disappointed that there was no open door policy on this one. Might have been IFC's promo department's demand but I would not be surprized if Marón himself asked from Scott to... lock the gates.

Patton Oswalt has got to be fuming with jealousy that Scott was really able to get into Maron's pain without being interrupted by an abuser of the open door policy.

Damn, I recently went back and listened to some Patton Oswalt ones and I agree 100%. I think it's time we had that one on one after all...

Wow. What a terrible episode of Comedy Bang Bang. Absolutely jam-packed with the worst kind of navel-gazing. Scott tried his best to make it interesting but was shot down at every turn by the relentlessly self-obsessed Marc Maron. If that's what the WTF podcast is like, I'm glad I've never listened to it.

Yeah, that's basically why I stopped listening to WTF.

• Like 1

Not the funniest episode ever, but there were portions that I enjoyed:

-Hearing some comradarie between these two figures that may seem like they would dislike each other, or not associate with one another

-Maron's little swipes at Scott, which the chocktaw called him out for

-The Reimagining of the Matrix

-I don't think it was contrived when Marc got wistful..... Scott succeeded!

I want to like Marc, I really do.

Good episode, although I feel like "Would You Rather?" really needs more than one person to make it fun. Marc was a good sport about it, though.

Hmm, interesting - so do you think it was a serious episode because Marc Maron's IFC promoter people thought that'd be a better way to get the message out?

I bet it's that. Well, something like IFC put the idea out and Scott thought it would be a cool idea to out-Maron Maron. That turns the episode premise into a bit, lets Scott host differently, and gets the plug job done. I don't think it was maliciously done or anything, but a way to cross promote and hopefully bump up viewership a bit.

Think about it though, the bonus eps that I remember off the top of my head were Kashian plugging her book and Garland plugging his new podcast on the network. Those plugs seemed to permeate the episode a lot more than just a plug section at the end.

• Like 1

I actually rather enjoyed the episode and I'm not really a big fan of Maron. He's someone I acknowledge as very funny and talented, but I'm usually not a fan of abrasive personalities in general (which is probably I despite his talent, I don't think I'll ever be a Bill Burr fan). I think despite that it's a really entertaining episode and though I wouldn't want it to be a common thing, I thought the one on one was a good change of pace. That said, I was praying that Scott and Maron would do Jukebox Jury. That's a segment that gets better with an abrasive personality... Though in my opinion, I think for a perfect round, you need someone who won't put up with the song, a devil's advocate or someone who will give constructive criticism and Scott (who is sort of in-between).

Loved every part of the episode...EXCEPT

Half way through when Marion was talking about his first TV deal which centered around him being a chef you can hear Engineer Frank get a Google Talk message by the notable Google Talk 'ding' that came over the audio.

This is unbelievably inappropriate, unprofessional, and unacceptable. Engineer Frank; if you are out there reading this you need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Shame on you. Brett Morris or Cody would NEVER let such an atrocity occur.

Listen. I will find it within my heart to forgive you, but you also have to be able to forgive yourself. You can't beat yourself up over this too much. Be the 'Engineer Frank' that deep down inside you know you can be

• Like 3

"Solo Bolo" inspired me to listen to this "Accidental Bolo." I found this enjoyable for entirely different reasons. I also watched a portion of MARONE! while waiting for the new CBB episode on IFC, and I thought it was funny. I imagine I'll give a full episode a viewing one of these days.

Interesting to hear? Yes.

Could have done without? Yes.

Has it changed my opinion on Maron? Sadly No.

I just can't get into his kind of interview or nostalgia. It's like all my friends that only talk about the past and never do anything.