🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

I still don't understand why you guys haven't done a single one of the travesties known as Michael Bay films. Granted I can see how it would be a little too obvious, but there are some horrors in this world that just can't go ignored. Literally.

Pearl Harbor is a shame cast down upon America by one of its own sons and I'm only one of countless millions who had their beautiful memorial day weekend ruined by this egomaniacal hack Michael Bay.

Plus, how could anyone not like destroying Michael Bay for an hour?

I think the reason why Michael Bay movies have not been done yet is because they are fucking loooooooong. Pearl Harbor is 3 mind numbing hours long and the Transformers are all around 2 & 1/2 hours each. I know Paul has remarked about how some of the two hour movies are long and I know he does not want to torture the listeners any more than he has to.

you make a good point Sir. That being said, you can't have a podcast like this and not do at least one Michael Bay disaster and why not this opus set from the point of view of the bomb?

You just know that Disney was looking at this whole movie as the next "Titanic." A romantic story juxtaposed against a historic tragedy, with running times in excess of three hours, and both directed by egotistical asshats (that last part was most likely coincidental).

I recall hearing that Disney, most likely not satisfied with the amount of money it made, planned a rerelease around December, to be closer to the anniversary. (Oddly, "Titanic" used this same tactic, albeit with post-converted 3D added in, because what three-hour romance couldn't use 3D?) The plans were scuttled after September 11 showed just how horrifying an attack on the US plays in reality.

I can't find anything about that on the IMDb or Wikipedia (my only memory of it is from an article shortly after September 11 discussing how Hollywood was reacting), but I did find this in the movie's trivia page:

The total amount of money spent on production and promotion roughly equaled the amount of damage caused in the actual attack.

Which, if true, pretty much says it all.

• Like 1

My elderly relatives (some of whom experienced the bombing at Pearl Harbor firsthand) all loved this movie. Do with that information what you will.

My elderly relatives (some of whom experienced the bombing at Pearl Harbor firsthand) all loved this movie. Do with that information what you will.

In my years of research (translation: working at a theater), I've learned that old people will almost never speak bad about historical dramas, particularly war movies, regardless of actual quality. Actually, this one time, there was an old guy that expressed his displeasure with "Four Feathers", where he explained in an "I'm not racist, but..." sort of way that he thought the African natives were portrayed too heroically in the film, but that's about it.

ANYWAY, if we hate movies like this, we're terrible, terrible Americans...or something. Don't even get me started on "Act of Valor"...

• Like 2

I found this movie horribly boring above any other flaws. I think I may have fallen asleep in the theater. Part of the problem was that Josh Hartnett and Kate Beckinsale had - to paraphrase Jason - the chemistry of two wet bags of dogshit. I also have a vague recollection of Alec Baldwin being in this for 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Fuck this movie. It would be a treat to hear Jason describe how angry this disaster made him, but I would totally get why Jason, Paul, June (or anyone else for that matter) would not want to sink 3 HOURS OF THIER LIVES into this turdfest. It's basically a dumb soap opera featuring characters too generic to give a shit about set in an idiot version of WWII. Even Ben Affleck's butt-chin couldn't save this quagmire of suckitude.

• Like 1

I've actually been interested in seeing this film and do a side by side on this and Titanic, but I come across two problems

1) I never have 3 hours free in my week

2) If I did ever have 3 hours free in my week, would I really want to watch this?

So, yeah, natural choice, but might be hard to get everyone on the same page. NOW THERE IS Enemy at the Gates, which uses Pearl Harbor's love triangle set in one of the bloodiest battles in WWII with a running time of 2 hours (along with the casting of Bob Hoskins and Ron Pearlman), but the War scenes were actually good, so do with that what you will.

I think that they could do this movie, but ONLY as a two part episode to give both the hosts and audience breathing room to watch it.

This movie probably seemed like a great idea when it was pitched. "We're going to take one of the most tragic moments in American history, and make a romantic action movie out of it. Think Titanic meets Armageddon. It's gold!" My hatred of Michael Bay started with this movie.

Sign in to follow this