🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 143 — Chop-Suey Font

Andrew Ti & guests Paul W. Downs and Lucia Aniello get into a deep discussion on the possible racism resulting from a high school rivalry that is using “chop-suey” font on signs that read “Fry Rice.” As always, leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

Another problematic font is Papyrus, it gets used for any non-white culture.

Another problematic font is Papyrus, it gets used for any non-white culture.

But mostly in flyers for events put on by black college affinity organizations.

The Wikipedia article on "Wonton font" (the result if you search Chop Suey font) calls it ching-chong font. I think that solidifies it as definitely racist.

• Like 2

Personally I always saw the font as not racist in the sense of being inherently racist, so much that using it with anything Asian automatically implies the most racist interpretation possible. So something that's borderline like "Fry Rice" becomes incredibly racist when you use that font.

But mostly in flyers for events put on by black college affinity organizations.

Of course, Hyde, we get it. Black people are the true racists and white people are totally innocent.

• Like 1

Personally I always saw the font as not racist in the sense of being inherently racist, so much that using it with anything Asian automatically implies the most racist interpretation possible. So something that's borderline like "Fry Rice" becomes incredibly racist when you use that font.

It was not the specific font in itself or the phrase, "Fry Rice" that made this racist. It was putting them together, obviously to an allusion to Chinese takeout places and Asian people in general. Otherwise those two choices wouldn't go together. But people are calling it racist because the authors of the banner/sign intended for it to be read that way. "Fry Rice" means beat our opponents in one context, and "Fry Rice" is what those non-English speaking, Chinese people when you're order takeout food. They thought they were being clever when they mixed the two together, but they weren't. They were just being racist.

Of course, Hyde, we get it. Black people are the true racists and white people are totally innocent.

Nah, but if we're throwing out alternative names for type-faces I'd suggest "Kwanzaa Party."

Nah, but if we're throwing out alternative names for type-faces I'd suggest "Kwanzaa Party."

Well, we weren't throwing out alternative names for fonts. I don't know where you got this idea that the thread was about naming fonts, or making new fonts to name. None of that is going on at all.

Sign in to follow this