🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Mike Myers does it again. Nothing like the book and with since really odd dialogue not fitting to a kid's movie. You're sure to enjoy it.

• Like 1

I don't remember much about this one, but I do remember a lot of out-of-place sexual innuendo. I also think this was the point where I realized Mike Meyers was on the way down.

If they do this, they should go into why Mike Myers had to do the movie in the first place.

Back in 2000, Universal planned to make a movie based on the "Sprockets" sketch from "Saturday Night Live," where David Hasselhoff would kidnap Dieter's monkey because he was annoyed that they were becoming more popular than him in Germany. One day, Myers came in and basically said that the script was terrible, and because he had such high standards for his audience*, he was shutting down the movie. Fun fact: The screenplay Myers was dissatisfied with was one he had written.

Universal then sued Myers for $3.8 million (the cost they had spent on pre-production). After a countersuit and months of wrangling, a deal was reached where Myers would have to star in another Universal movie. This is the one they did.

So if you watch this movie, as the jokes about dirty hoes and acronyms that spell out SHIT are thrown about in an ostensible kid's film, just remember that the movie exists mainly because Mike Myers thought another script he had written was apparently worse.

* I'm still trying to figure out how having high standards for your audience would let you release a movie as puerile as "Goldmember."

• Like 1

One of the writers on CHUD.com wrote a review consisting of five words: "Like Being Raped By Clowns". I think if you slapped that on the DVD cover, you might actually move a few copies.

• Like 1

Nah, Goldmember needed a lot less Mike Meyers. Beyonce was fine, and did exactly what she was supposed to do. I'll put it this way, she was a marked improvement from Heather Graham.

• Like 2

You know its a bad movie when Paris Hilton has a cameo....IN A FUCKING KIDS MOVIE

• Like 1

We were psyched to see the preview and took both kids along (6 & 4 at the time).

Packed theatre filled with parents and young kids and it was clear ten minutes in that this was a colossal bomb. I mean, no laughter, no reactions from the kids. Nothing.

Stunned silence was the order of the evening - this was a franchise killer of the worst sort.

And to this day, it remains the only feature film directed by Bo Welch who one imagines was simply on hand to tell the rest of the cast to shut up when Mike Myers was speaking.

anyone notice a theme going on here with the movies, clue, battleship, cat and the hat. we are down to kids books and board games for HDTGM

My theory is Mike Myers's ex-wife was his Muse. Mike talked about this once during an interview. that she would know when things are funny or not and he would listen to her. it's clear now that he should get back together with her and make her a writing partner. because he's not so funny now with out her now.

A little off topic but...It's pretty amazing how fast and far Mike Myers fell. Other than drugs fucking up a career I can't remember someone going from as high as he was to as low as he is in the past decade.

This movie is insane. It's a children's movie about how the gates of hell are essentially opening in this family's house and this evil cat from another dimension is trying to ruin their lives. There are jokes that are too dirty for most of the parents in there and they're not even remotely hidden.

I was posting about a beautiful looking film on another forum and remembered seeing Cat in the Hat in theaters and remembering what a snore-fest this movie was, but visually it has some strong moments. I just looked for a clip on youtube and immediately remembered why I had trouble sitting through this film.

Any takers on talking this one out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLFn_wD2B8I

I would say that it's not beautiful. It's AMBITIOUS and there is some interesting set design, but it's just... assaulting.

Bumping this one. I first saw it on a pirated copy from Malaysia and genuinely thought something was wrong with the disk. It is just pure insanity from start to finish and not innocent Dr Suess insanity. This is not a movie for children and I watched it when I was 11. I still wake up screaming after nightmares of Alec Baldwin tearing off his girdle.

10% on RT

82 Minutes

$109,000,000 budget

$101,000,000 domestic gross