🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Damme it ALL

Iron Man 3

Please, please do this movie. I went and saw it and I literally felt like I was watching 2 hrs of diarrhea farts. This was so ridiculous and bad. His panic attacks were so stupid and also not panic attacks. This movie was such a turd!!!

I can save the trouble of an episode on this one - this movie was made because it will make a bajillion dollars.

While I haven't seen this I did see the first 2, frist one was a good solid superhero/action move, second one I didn't care for. What I don't get about movies like this(based on reviews I trust) and ones like Thor, Transformers movies, Captain America etc. is why they have to be so dumb.

As seanotron said, this movie will make a bajillion kajillion dollars so why not have a simple, basic story with well written dalogue? People are going to see these summer blockbuster CGI movies no matter what so why not make them be good solid movies instead of nonsensical garbage that even fans of the source material won't really enjoy, but will see multiple times because big things go boom.

I personally loved it, and I'm someone who hated Iron Man 2. The twist in this movie is fantastic in my opinion. I personally thought the dialogue was perfectly well written, and Ben Kingsley and Downe both give fantastic performances.

While I haven't seen this I did see the first 2, frist one was a good solid superhero/action move, second one I didn't care for. What I don't get about movies like this(based on reviews I trust) and ones like Thor, Transformers movies, Captain America etc. is why they have to be so dumb.

As seanotron said, this movie will make a bajillion kajillion dollars so why not have a simple, basic story with well written dalogue? People are going to see these summer blockbuster CGI movies no matter what so why not make them be good solid movies instead of nonsensical garbage that even fans of the source material won't really enjoy, but will see multiple times because big things go boom.

I thought Captain America was great. It was actually my favorite of the stand-alone Marvel films. The Transformers movies gave me headaches. To be fair, I only made it halfway through the 2nd one.

I thought Captain America was great. It was actually my favorite of the stand-alone Marvel films. The Transformers movies gave me headaches. To be fair, I only made it halfway through the 2nd one.

"Captain America" is my favorite of the "Phase 1" films, and it's highly re-watchable. Even though it's bookended by modern day segments, I think it was still pretty ballsy to essentially make this a period piece. I wanted to see an immediate sequel to Cap MORE than I wanted a third Iron Man, second Thor, or another Avengers.

"Captain America" is my favorite of the "Phase 1" films, and it's highly re-watchable. Even though it's bookended by modern day segments, I think it was still pretty ballsy to essentially make this a period piece. I wanted to see an immediate sequel to Cap MORE than I wanted a third Iron Man, second Thor, or another Avengers.

Yeah, I was actually a bit bummed they pretty much eliminated any future sequels taking place in the 40s with the ending.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was actually a bit bummed they pretty much eliminated any future sequels taking place in the 40s with the ending.

There's still room though for "untold tales" via flashback, but I'm not sure how necessary that would be. After the Winter Soldier appeared in the comics, there were a lot of flashbacks and new stories set in the Golden Age that retroactively turned Bucky into more of bad-ass, but movie Bucky has already been established as being a bit more hardcore. It was a big revelation in the comic that even Cap wasn't in on that while HE was the one that everyone was paying attention to, it was the kid sidekick that was running around behind the scenes snapping all the necks.

I myself loved the movie. The humor was pretty good and allowed for Downey Jr. to flow, especially with the little kid. The villains felt full and fleshed out in comparison to the first two movies and the movie's twist was something I didn't see coming. Fanboys have been upset because the Mandarin wasn't what they were expecting so now they are all butthurt.

I really liked Captain America since they didn't try to change the origin of the character. I am interested to see the "fish out of water" story that the sequel is going to be as well as how they explain Bucky's return as well as seeing the possible fight between Captain America and UFC champ Georges St. Pierre's mercenary character.

Based on the comments made about Captain America, I think I'll give it a second try. I watched Thor and Captain America back to back and might've still been reeling from the first "film" and was unable to enjoy Captain America.

I also shouldn't have included Iron Man 3 since I haven't seen it but I usually agree with Peter Travers, Garden State being a big exception.

(Emphasis mine). Uhh, maybe you should see the movie before you say those sorts of things? Iron Man 3 was directed and co-written by Shane Black, who was last seen directing/writing for Robert Downey Jr in the excellent Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. He also wrote Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, Long Kiss Goodnight, and uh, Last Action Hero. So yeah, it was born to be a fuckin money making behemoth but it's got a decent story and some snappy dialogue for a summertime popcorn flick. Leagues above nonsensical garbage/sound & fury like Transformers, GI Joe, etc.

And yeah, cosign on that Captain America movie being decent; Film Critic Hulk has a good breakdown of why it works, if you can stand to read all caps. It's pretty interesting how what used to be throwaway ideas like comic book movies (with the exception of the two Burton Batmans) have turned into much better movie going experiences lately than your average blockbuster crap like Battleship, Spiderman reboot, Men In Black 3, Wrath of the Titans, etc etc.

I usually agree with Peter Travers

Oh, I see what the issue is now. Carry on.

What I don't get about movies like this(based on reviews I trust) and ones like Thor, Transformers movies, Captain America etc. is why they have to be so dumb.

You basically answered your own question. If a movie is a guaranteed box-office winner, why bother putting more effort into it than absolutely necessary? I don't get the impression a lot of Hollywood thinks about the long-term shelf life of their movies.

I just got back from watching this, and I actually thought it was quite good. Probably the best of the 3.

Oh and as someone who has panic attacks, I'd say that while Tony's attacks were revved up a bit for dramatic purposes they were actually pretty accurately portrayed.

I just got back from watching this, and I actually thought it was quite good. Probably the best of the 3.

Oh and as someone who has panic attacks, I'd say that while Tony's attacks were revved up a bit for dramatic purposes they were actually pretty accurately portrayed.

My thoughts exactly, the first movie was made to introduce a B level comic character to casual viewers and the villain wasn't too huge for a new superhero. The second one was good but focused more on Stark's health rather than the conflict with the villains and was a preamble for the Avengers. I actually thought the third was the most complete film as it connected in a great way with everything that has happened so far with the character while not being a long trailer for Avengers 2 like fanboys have been harping about. You had character issues leftover from the Avengers, which I also liked having had panic attacks before, and you had villains who could measure up to the lead characters and connect back to the first movie if you really think about it.

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

****SPOILER****

Because since Guy Pierce was revealed to be the true Mandarin, it is easy to say that Raza (Faran Tahir) was going to be the original choice for "The Mandarin" as he stated he received his rings from a powerful man who taught him many things in order to lead The Ten Rings. He was an actual fighter who would be willing to attack America in exchange for Extremis and to spread his message. Yet Pierce couldn't anticipate Obadiah Stane hating Stark as much as him, to the point of putting a hit out on him. So when that got bungled and Stane killed Raza, Pierce's character had to go to plan B with Ben Kingsley in an environment that he could control completely.

*SPOILERS*

I think Kingsley was sort of playing a version of the real-life Robert Downey Jr. that may have existed had he never turned himself around.

• Like 1

The twist surrounding the Mandarin I thought was brilliant marketing, because I doubt many people legitimately expected it. Fanboys are pissed because it's not like in the comics, but they were already pissed that he wasn't Asian, though that was done to not have Fu Manchu imagery and the studio was working with China for some scenes.

****SPOILER******

Well my date and I were whispering to each other throughout the movie, "You think anyone is going to ask why Ghandi is bombing people or ask is that Ben Kingsley?" And then it was revealed that he was an actor in the film we both started cracking up at how we lucked into being right about the twist.

I think the Mandarin twist was actually a really clever political move, as I can't remember if it's the Chinese or North Korean government (maybe both) that have flat out said that if you portray the country or it's citizens in a villainous or negative light, you're either retarded, a criminal, or a retarded criminal. By giving us a Mandarin that really isn't Mandarin, voila, the film gets a release in China and a couple hundred million more in the bank! A lot of folks have said that it sort of pulls a "Batman Begins", but I much prefer this comedic coked-out clown to whatever Ken Watanabe was supposed to be in that other film.

**SPOILERS**

Kingsley is Asian, he's just not Chinese. But I think the twist worked because there was pretty much no way to do that character without it being racist, so they subverted it by making the racism part of the plot. Everyone bought the Mandarin as the big bad because he played up to stereotypes of what a terrorist is. Meanwhile, the real terrorist was a rich white dude. I actually thought that was kind of clever.

**SPOILERS**

Kingsley is Asian, he's just not Chinese. But I think the twist worked because there was pretty much no way to do that character without it being racist, so they subverted it by making the racism part of the plot. Everyone bought the Mandarin as the big bad because he played up to stereotypes of what a terrorist is. Meanwhile, the real terrorist was a rich white dude. I actually thought that was kind of clever.

As did I, but now I have fucking fanboys calling me out saying people who liked it are not real fans. Granted these people calling themselves mighty Thor or Tony Stark99 were only "die hard fans" of Iron Man and Thor after movies were announced and know nothing of my bookshelves of comics/graphic novels. If it wasn't the twist of him not being the Mandarin they would have complained about him not being Asian enough or that he didn't use his magic rings. Fanboys are the reason we have the saying of "this is why we can't have nice things."

As did I, but now I have fucking fanboys calling me out saying people who liked it are not real fans. Granted these people calling themselves mighty Thor or Tony Stark99 were only "die hard fans" of Iron Man and Thor after movies were announced and know nothing of my bookshelves of comics/graphic novels. If it wasn't the twist of him not being the Mandarin they would have complained about him not being Asian enough or that he didn't use his magic rings. Fanboys are the reason we have the saying of "this is why we can't have nice things."

Yeah, guys who say that other people "aren't real fans" are elitist pricks (no offense to forum member Elitist Prick) and is no different than some conservative talking about "real America." It's all real.

I like the twist a lot, though I only thought the movie was just OK. But what I appreciated was the fact that it really felt like a Shane Black movie, just as Avengers felt like a Joss Whedon movie and Cap was in Joe Johnston's style. Marvel is really letting the writers and directors inject their personalities into their films, which makes me really hopeful for James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy and Edgar Wright's Ant-Man

The Mandarin doesn't bother me, but to play devil's advocate, I can understand why it would, even if some of the people are being kind of bitchy about it. For example, though the film has it's defenders, the Keanu Reeves portrayal of Constantine really bugs me since the movie has him as more of a generic demon fighting guy while the comic is about a clever supernatural con man. There are probably fans who love the character of the Mandarin who are disappointed to see such a departure and...

******Spoilers***********

Their favourite villain treated as a joke. Granted, you can also say that Guy Pierce is the Mandarin, but he's more of a villain in the Obadiah Stane/Justin Hammer model, but with powers and really doesn't reflect the comic character. And this is probably the only version we'll see for a long time. So if you are a Mandarin fan (which I guess must exist, right?) you are not going to get the chance to see him realized as you like him.

But I don't think the movie needed to be slavishly loyal to the comics and I think the choice made sense for the film. and Kingsley was a delight. I will say the scenes where he's villainous are still effective despite the fact that it was all a ruse.

Personally, I'm OK with it all. I understand a counter-argument, but if you have that argument, don't be a dick about it and say people who liked the thing you didn't shouldn't. I also have serious problems with the V for Vendetta movie because I feel they really misinterpreted a lot of the material and made it a lot more simple, but I think it's a perfectly OK movie on it's own.

The Mandarin reveal wasn't really that big of a deal for me, although I was under the impression that Ben Kingsley was being over the top for the entire movie (I did have a small chuckle at the Fortune Cookie Line), so it didn't really surprise me when this over the top villian turned out to be a over the top fake.

**SPOILERS**

I DID, however, have a huge problem with the death and ressurection of Pepper. I was actually very interested in what direction the story was going to go in when it appeared that Pepper had died. I felt it was one of the best scenes in the movie when she fell, because I thought it would take us into a Peter Parker-Gwen Stacy deal with a fallen love interest. Now, I know that they set it up that she was recieving Extremis and thus had a reason to survive the fall, but I was angered when Robert Downey Jr. just says in voice over that Pepper was cured with absolutely no scene to show it and no indication of how much time has passed.

But overall, really good movie that wouldn't fit on HDTGM.

Personally, I'm OK with it all. I understand a counter-argument, but if you have that argument, don't be a dick about it and say people who liked the thing you didn't shouldn't.

This is not directed at you or anyone here, but I just want to say that while there are definitely some bitchy comic book nerds, I feel like there are also just as many who are bitchy towards comic book nerds for just having an opinion. I feel like any time someone who likes comics has a negative opinion about a comic book movie they're automatically characterized as some irrational fanboy, even if they're stating their opinion in a reasonable way. I'm just saying it goes both ways. Nerds can be unnecessarily vehement and contentious in their opinions, but people also lump all nerds together and hate on too quickly.

*SPOILERS*

I admit I was disappointed by the twist. The best way I can explain it is imagine if you watched The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger's Jokers turned out to be just some hapless actor being paid by Ra's Al Ghul. Wouldn't that kind of be a bummer to see The Joker reduced to just a hoax? Would it make you feel better if Ra's Al Ghul said "I'VE been the Joker all this time!"? Not really right? Because Ra's Al Ghul paying some dummy to be the Joker is not as interesting as the actual Joker, who is THE Batman villain.

By presenting The Mandarin as the movie's main villain, they promised the fans something they didn't really deliver. When they first announced the Mandarin I thought oh shit, this is going to be good. Just on the merit of what The Mandarin is capable of that the promised some really interesting sequences. I was eager to see how they were going to pull off such a powerful character with so many abilities on screen. But you know, I get it, I think it worked in the context of the film and was really clever. I really enjoyed the movie. I just wish they hadn't called that character the Mandarin and had me hoping to see something more amazing than what they delivered. I think it's reasonable for comic book fans to be disappointed when they were bait and switched, and people should chill out acting like everybody who was disappointed is just a whiny fanboy.

I DID, however, have a huge problem with the death and ressurection of Pepper. I was actually very interested in what direction the story was going to go in when it appeared that Pepper had died. I felt it was one of the best scenes in the movie when she fell, because I thought it would take us into a Peter Parker-Gwen Stacy deal with a fallen love interest. Now, I know that they set it up that she was recieving Extremis and thus had a reason to survive the fall, but I was angered when Robert Downey Jr. just says in voice over that Pepper was cured with absolutely no scene to show it and no indication of how much time has passed.

But overall, really good movie that wouldn't fit on HDTGM.

I can see what you mean, but I'm personally happy they didn't put Pepper in the refrigerator. That's so overdone in comic stories.

• Like 3

Agreed. I don't think killing Pepper would've been interesting at all. Killing off women to serve as a character turning point for the male is such an overused cliche for heroes. I thought it was much cooler that she survived and not only kicked some ass but defeated the main villain. It would've been great if she didn't have to be the damsel in distress the rest of the time.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this