🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Shannon

HDTGM Voting Site is HERE - For Your Inconsideration

I am so proud of everyone - Shariq, Shannon, Gabe, Ele, Lauren, Paul, June and even Jason. Great work!

And don't worry, we have ideas for more great features (but give us time)!

Wanted to clear up a few things that people are confused by

As far as the garbage can rating system goes; 5 cans = it's a terrible movie that is perfect for HDTGM, 1 can = not bad enough for an episode

Also, the poll on the front page IS NOT the 10 most popular choices. Suggesting Air Bud over and over again will not make it appear on the poll. The poll movies were specifically chosen to be voted on this week. When the next movie is picked, the poll will have 10 completely different movies than the week before, usually based around a theme. I just went with popular suggestions we'd received recently for the first poll to get things started. The intention is to give all the recommendations a chance at being shit all over by the gang.

Please send any other questions you may have and I will answer them for y'all here :)

• Like 2

As far as the garbage can rating system goes; 5 cans = it's a terrible movie that is perfect for HDTGM, 1 can = not bad enough for an episode

I need to change some of my ratings then. HDTGM isn't necessarily about movies being bad, per se. When considering fun movies like Crank 2, Punisher and I'd argue even Breaking Dawn Part 2, it's about movies that are so crazy "they need to be discussed." I don't want to rate Return to Oz as "garbage." I think it's more in the vein of being so entertainingly strange and unique that it would make an interesting conversation for the group.

• Like 1

I need to change some of my ratings then. HDTGM isn't necessarily about movies being bad, per se. When considering fun movies like Crank 2, Punisher and I'd argue even Breaking Dawn Part 2, it's about movies that are so crazy "they need to be discussed." I don't want to rate Return to Oz as "garbage." I think it's more in the vein of being so entertainingly strange and unique that it would make an interesting conversation for the group.

Yeah, I need to amend some of my trash can ratings as I wasn't clear on how that worked either.

Love the M. Night and Uwe Boll tags but you're missing the last part of the holy trinity, Roland Emmerich. He's got just as many stinkers as M. Night and just like Night has another one on the way in about a month.

Also as far as the "false tagging" if it gets crazily out of hand it might be easier to allow us to delete tags that don't belong ourselves. Just seems like it could be a very time consuming, never ending battle for you guys.

And great job on the site, 100 times better than I think any of us were expecting.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the tags sitch to get so out of hand either. An earlier version gave users the ability to remove tags, but I was concerned about THAT being abused, too. I think the tagging system might take some rethinking, anyway. And I'm open to suggestions!

In the meantime, I've added #RolandEmmerich (description: "Every movie's a disaster")

• Like 1

Yeah I had that thought to about abusing removal of tag ability, something about the anonymity of the internet makes people act strangely.

Emmerich tag description is perfect.

I just want to say people submit some weird weird shit on FYI. Amistad? A 2 & 1/2 hr legal period piece for an episode of HDTGM?

I just want to say people submit some weird weird shit on FYI. Amistad? A 2 & 1/2 hr legal period piece for an episode of HDTGM?

Yeah, some of the submissions are just bonkers. (Who the hell submitted "Flight?" Nothing remotely crazy happens in that movie, and if someone thinks it's bad, it's probably because they'd find it boring.) Much as I wish some movies weren't available for voting, I think the rating system works perfectly fine for keeping them from being considered; if I like a movie (and not in a so-bad-it's-good way), I rate it one garbage can to bring the average down.

Yeah, some of the submissions are just bonkers. (Who the hell submitted "Flight?" Nothing remotely crazy happens in that movie, and if someone thinks it's bad, it's probably because they'd find it boring.) Much as I wish some movies weren't available for voting, I think the rating system works perfectly fine for keeping them from being considered; if I like a movie (and not in a so-bad-it's-good way), I rate it one garbage can to bring the average down.

I have gone through several times looking for movies that have no business on the list to vote 1 garbage can.

Maybe I should submit Alien and The Godfather just because I can (not really though, but I imagine it will happen at some point)

There are some crazy movies being added but I don't think it's anything we need to worry about. I'd imagine Paul would approve what movies are added to each weeks poll to not only ensure they don't offend anybody they don't want to offend but make sure all the choices are worthy of doing an episode on.

The George Segal/Morgan Fairchild epic "The Zany Adventures of Robin Hood" isn't in the database. Can you add it?

I just recommended it on your behalf.

You currently are able to sort by Average Rating and RT Rating, just click the column header to sort Ascending, then click it again to sort Descending. We could definitely add the ability to sort by latest added, it might take a couple days to implement.

So I gave it a shot and it appears to be sorting them as text and not numbers (ie the 90%s appear, followed by the 9%s, followed by the 80%s, followed by the 8%s, etc.). Nothing urgent, just thought I'd let you know.

There are some crazy movies being added but I don't think it's anything we need to worry about. I'd imagine Paul would approve what movies are added to each weeks poll to not only ensure they don't offend anybody they don't want to offend but make sure all the choices are worthy of doing an episode on.

I'm mostly just wondering what's going through people's heads and whether or not they've ever actually listened to an episode of the show. Like, I get how someone could suggest Face/Off or Speed, and I get that someone thinks they're cleverly trolling when they submit Schindler's List, but Amistad and Lost in Translation have neither insane action sequences nor bizarre twists.

I got ya and I completely agree. I can't remember what it was but I came across one last night where I literally laughed out loud at what a ridiculous movie it was. My guess is it's a combination of trolling and people adding movies they just don't like because they want to add one that hasn't been added yet, regardless of whether it's worthy of an episode or not.

Same with the false tagging, people want to add their own tag even if all the relevant ones have been added.

People be crazy.

My guess is it's a combination of trolling and people adding movies they just don't like because they want to add one that hasn't been added yet, regardless of whether it's worthy of an episode or not.

Both on FYI and the Bad Movie Recommendations forum, it's starting to seem like people are racing to see who can be the most hipster-blasé, with recommendations like The Avengers, or Iron Man 3, or R.I.P.D. two months before its release.

If there were a proper emoticon for "wanking motion", I would be using it so hard right now.

• Like 5

Just pray the 4chan community doesn't stumble upon the site.

shhhhhhhhhh. *whispers* "they might hear us"

Both on FYI and the Bad Movie Recommendations forum, it's starting to seem like people are racing to see who can be the most hipster-blasé, with recommendations like The Avengers, or Iron Man 3, or R.I.P.D. two months before its release.

If you think 2 months is bad, someone submitted Avatar 2, which isn't due until 2015!!!!! At least RIPD has a trailer which looks like it might be worthy of an episode.

I'll say I think it's perfectly acceptable to suggest a movie that is by all measures positively received, so long as you make a case for why it would make a good episode of HDTGM. The burden of proof lies on the person suggesting the movie when everything points to having a minority opinion on the film.

• Like 2

Tag suggestion: "Prequelitis" or "Prequel-itis" with explanation "When looking backwards is looking up one's ass" or "The less is known, the better" (or, maybe even "What happened to a little mystery or ambiguity?").

#WhatIsHappening = Movies that are just plain crazy

This would go with the point I made elsewhere that a movie may not be "bad" necessarily, but is definitely plumb loco or simply odd and worthy of a discussion (Crank 2, Punisher, Timothy Green, Fifth Element, Return to Oz).

If there were a proper emoticon for "wanking motion", I would be using it so hard right now.

buffy-masturbation.gif

• Like 3