🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JustinL

Scenes From a Mall (1991)

Nathan Rabin's take on it from his "My Year of Flops" column:

http://www.avclub.co...m-a-mall,14567/

A sample:

It's not hard to see why Scenes From A Mall failed. Its characters aren't particularly likeable and it's hard to muster up sympathy for pampered adulterers. Scenes also falls victim to the Parental-Sex Rule. Unless you're a 17-year-old newly adopted by Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, nobody wants to imagine their parents having sex. We want to imagine our parents as perfectly asexual, as devoid of genitalia or sexual impulses as a Barbie or Ken doll.

Yet Scenes is all about two parental-type figures and their sex lives. Granted, we don't actually get to see Allen's sweaty, engorged cock dripping with sweat and bodily fluids as it violates every orifice of Midler's body with great ferocity and passion. Nor do we witness Allen hungrily lapping up Midler's dripping lady-juice like a man dying of thirst at a water fountain. But there's no doubt that these are people who think about sex and talk about sex and actually go about the dirty business of having sex.

it's not that bad!!!! if it's the movie I am thinking about, Woody Allen and Bette Midler go shopping for a dinner party they are having and they get into a long dragged out fight at shopping mall. that looks a little bit like the mall of amarica to me. it seems to last for way too long if memory serves me. I remember watching this with my sister we had rented it from block buster video and it has come down to this film. Ohh well. I can't remember there being sex in it as I don't think I would forget such a thing but it was many years ago..

it's not that bad!!!! if it's the movie I am thinking about, Woody Allen and Bette Midler go shopping for a dinner party they are having and they get into a long dragged out fight at shopping mall. that looks a little bit like the mall of amarica to me. it seems to last for way too long if memory serves me. I remember watching this with my sister we had rented it from block buster video and it has come down to this film. Ohh well. I can't remember there being sex in it as I don't think I would forget such a thing but it was many years ago..

I agree, but I'm an Allen super-fan so I'm not a fair judge really. I own it on DVD and watch it from time to time. It's enjoyable enough, although I would certainly admit it's not "good".

There definitely was a sex in it though. Woody goes down on Bette in a movie theater as they watch 'Salaam Bombay'.

This marked the beginning of the end of Paul Mazursky's directorial career, which was later sealed shut by The Pickle (1993) and Faithful (1996).

Sign in to follow this