🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wien

Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights

What else needs to be said? I certainly would have preferred this over Joyful Noise.

One of the most astonishing things about this movie to me is that the story is co-credited to Peter Sagal, host of the hilarious NPR show "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!" Apparently, he had written a script set in Havana during the revolution; it was a romance, based on a true story, and had political themes. It was purchased, got rewritten, then set aside until the producer decided he wanted to make a "Dirty Dancing" sequel, and for whatever reason chose to use that script as a loose basis. Sagal claims the only thing left from his script is a scene where political prisoners are executed.

• Like 3

Sagal claims the only thing left from his script is a scene where political prisoners are executed.

Which is INSANE for a pg-13 teen dance flick.

• Like 2

Sagal can at least take comfort in the fact that anyone who has ever heard him speak would know he is incapable of writing something this stupid.

• Like 1

One of the most astonishing things about this movie to me is that the story is co-credited to Peter Sagal, host of the hilarious NPR show "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!" Apparently, he had written a script set in Havana during the revolution; it was a romance, based on a true story, and had political themes. It was purchased, got rewritten, then set aside until the producer decided he wanted to make a "Dirty Dancing" sequel, and for whatever reason chose to use that script as a loose basis. Sagal claims the only thing left from his script is a scene where political prisoners are executed.

the recent podcast episode of "fatman on batman" with kevin smith, where jeph loeb was the guest, was a two parter, and jeph started as a screenwriter in the 80's and actually tells the story of peter's original script. the whole story in detail... it's quite fascinating. i can't recall which part it's on and where in it, it is, but it's worth the listen just for that fucking story.

This movie begs the question, do John Slattery and January Jones ever sit around the set of Mad Men talking about how they were both in Dirty Dancing 2 Havana Nights.

I'm not sure January Jones is programmed for small talk.

riypf8.jpg

• Like 2

Ugh, we watched this movie in my Humanities class (dance rotation) sophomore year. Basically, the gym teacher ran out of dances to teach us. I remember hating it, even at sixteen, though I did think Diego Luna was pret-ty attractive.

Ugh, we watched this movie in my Humanities class (dance rotation) sophomore year. Basically, the gym teacher ran out of dances to teach us. I remember hating it, even at sixteen, though I did think Diego Luna was pret-ty attractive.

I have no idea why it is that, whenever teachers make kids watch movies in class, they always choose the worst ones. I remember being in a history class where we watched "Newsies" (this was a high school class, I should mention) and "Far and Away." I know there are restrictions on what classes can watch, but come on.

• Like 2

I have no idea why it is that, whenever teachers make kids watch movies in class, they always choose the worst ones. I remember being in a history class where we watched "Newsies" (this was a high school class, I should mention) and "Far and Away." I know there are restrictions on what classes can watch, but come on.

Yeah, it's like "We're talking about this in class right now, and this is the only movie on the subject, so we're going to watch it", and it's almost always pretty bad or borderline offensive in the way it treats the subject matter. Once in a while though, a good one sneaks in. I remember having to watch "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" in a government class one time, which I ordinarily probably would never have seen, and I fell in love with it. Depending on my mood, it switches back and forth with "Boogie Nights" as being my favorite film of all time.

Sign in to follow this