🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 80 — Do You Sell Fuck Pillows?

Ring the bell in celebration of another episode of improv4humans with improv addicts Sean Conroy, Jon Gabrus, and Mike Still! Along with a ton of great improv comes another edition of Case Closed with Matt debating with someone from Twitter who claims Jason Collins is not a hero for coming out. Be sure to pick up an improv4humans shirt from the Earwolf Store and follow @MattBesser on Twitter to send in your improv suggestions. Music by Bobby Matthews and Dragoon. You can also now get Matt Besser’s new comedy album “Woo Pig Sooie: Comedy for Atheists” at mattbesser.com and Dragoon’s new album “This Galaxy Is But A Nursery” at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Loving this. That 'crap from youtube' was so horrific-sounding that for the first time I had to pause the podcast just to put a face to what I was hearing, which was awful. Sure enough, the video made my blood curdle, and I cracked up and resumed listening to the episode. Good Gravy Marie. I was not expecting such a start to this episode, which has hit the ground running for its life.

• Like 2

Hey Matt, I don't think it's bullying to make people defend their statements (and once you read some of that guy's tweets it was pretty clear why you were so angry, and why it was frustrating that he was being all agreeable when challenged on them,) and I don't know what exactly is your vision for I4H, but for what I think of as a comedy podcast there was a long, very unfunny section in this one. I appreciate that you're trying to do something real and that's not just cheap laughs (and a lot of improv that's on I4H comes from serious and non-comedic material) and I definitely respect what you're doing but it can be hard to listen to and not funny (which I guess it isn't always meant to be,) especially if it dominates the episode. Maybe if you put the Case Closed segments in their own episodes so there weren't the same expectations that come with being on I4H they would be easier to take. Just my two cents, looking forward to the next one.

• Like 1

I'm afraid, in this instance anyway, I'm with smozi on Case Closed.

The first CC segment, with Neclord debating Besser on the definition of 'cyborg,' is one of my all-time favorite moments of this show. The "debate" itself was super-funny, and organically led to plenty of great scenes.

On this episode, there was really no part of the conversation that I can say I "enjoyed." It was interesting, but it felt like a totally different show. The fact that this edition was a one-on-one between Matt and the caller only intensified the weirdness; it just felt odd to know that these great comedians were all sitting in the room listening to a serious discussion happening in the middle of a comedy podcast.

I ended up skipping to the end of the call because it was just kind of a bummer; I got antsy to hear more great improv. I would love to hear more of the lighter-style Case Closed, as I think it is almost guaranteed to lead to comedy gold.

(For the record, I'm wearing my i4h shirt as I write this post. This remains one of the best podcasts out there, bar none.)

• Like 4

I actually kind of like the idea of Case Closed segments being their own mini-episodes. I get that it kind of interrupts the flow of the improv but I would hate less Case Closed.

I went through a bunch of emotions just listening to the guy's arguments but luckily I agree totally with Matt and I didn't end the episode feeling like I wish I'd been able to jump into the conversation.

I'm a minority and don't identify as straight--it's really reassuring to hear people who aren't in my position actually still get it.

Matt, you're an absolute idol to me.

• Like 2

holy fucking shit this episode was superb i laughed until i cried thank you for this!!!

case closed is my favorite

the media is saying...

Loving this. That 'crap from youtube' was so horrific-sounding that for the first time I had to pause the podcast just to put a face to what I was hearing, which was awful. Sure enough, the video made my blood curdle, and I cracked up and resumed listening to the episode. Good Gravy Marie. I was not expecting such a start to this episode, which has hit the ground running for its life.

This. This. This.

Episode came in hot! I love when you guys get crazy as hell on the first scene.

Arkansas will indeed upset A&M this year, if there is any justice. Also, Auburn will win more than 3 games. SEC needs to pick it up. Can we get a football themed episode? Or at least a scene where everyone hates on Saban?

P.S. Cat's Cradle is probably my favorite Vonnegut. So accessible and funny.

Matt's Ben Shapiro impersionation was spot on. Case Closed should be it's own podcast. I could listen to two great podcasts from Besser!

"It's THAN you." -Besser

Great episode. Keep fighting the good fight. Also, great recommendation on the Vonnegut.

• Like 1

Yes. Kurt Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions. Great books, read them if you haven't.

And as always, fun episode.

Holy shit that was very, very intense. Love ya Matt. If I could make one recommendation for the future of case-closed, I would recommend putting on people you already think have interesting arguments. It's clear that your intention is usually to prove the caller wrong (which you do do well), not learn from them.

I would recommend putting on people you already think have interesting arguments. It's clear that your intention is usually to prove the caller wrong (which you do do well), not learn from them.

Well I tried to get Ben Shapiro to debate me but he did not accept. Brett B on the other hand badgered me all day to debate him and no one else was interested. Like I said on the show I think guys like this represent what a lot of people think. All the time, before the internet existed, I would often think about certain people on certain issues. "What the hell are those people thinking?!" Now with twitter, not only is it easy to "talk" to these people, they actually reach out and want to argue with me. To me that makes them an interesting source material.

I tried to communicate this with the gun control episode but I really am disappointed in how little comedy podcasts take on important social issues. Also, since I'm being asked about my vision allow me to be a little pretentious here for a second. The original long form improvisers from the Univ. of Chicago thought of their art form as theater for the people. The people meaning, real people with real problems not the upper class who attended "plays". When they would ask for a suggestion from the audience people would shout out shit that they wanted to talk about that was important to them and society. I think that has gotten lost in a big way. Now people shout out some food half the time.

So I look at Case Closed as being a no holds barred debate. And hopefully from that truth, no matter how ugly it gets, there can be some comedy.

Now, in regards to there being different mental weight classes in these fights and that being unfair. That is a fact I can't deny. So "bullying" will be next week's topic and I am proud to have Randy "The Ethicist" Cohen on to give me a verbal spanking.

• Like 21

It was my first time listening and I really loved it, and I want to thank you for Case Closed. I am constantly surprised by how little people know and how willingly they preach on topics they have little to no understanding of--especially in the age of twitter, where many people can and do freely abuse free speech. You should damn well hold accountability and responsibility for what you say and promote, especially when what you are saying will then be broadcast to endless amounts of people. That is why I thought this was a great debate. Clearly the kid on the show wasn't thinking before speaking. This is probably an issue for most. After twitter searching 'Jason Collins hero,' too many mindless tweets came up confirming this. I am happy that you made him think more deeply about what he was saying. Yeah, it's not fun to debate with someone who easily backtracks, but thank goodness he has the open mind to agree that there was more to the issues than he originally thought. Hey, you even got him to potentially read some Vonnegut. In the end, you are exposing this guy to a deeper analysis of issues that human beings must face every day. I'm really looking forward to more Case Closed...(ethics) debates get me off...kind of like that girl's fuck pillow.

• Like 4

It's kind of interesting that this started with Brett B tweeting at me asking me to be held accountable for comparing Collins to Jackie Robinson.

• Like 1

Did this guy know about case closed or your (Matt) podcast before you starting tweeting with him? I feel like if he knew how open you were to a public debate on almost any subject he would have thought twice about "coming at you" like that on twitter.

Or maybe he was just responding from a tweet he found on a collins hashtag? Either way I loved the case closed segments.

I just want to say, penises are great. Sometimes they are the best part!

I thought I'd just chime in and say I enjoy the case closed segments, but I wish you could get someone who sticks to their position. Maybe on a topic that the listeners might disagree with you about. I4H is basically a liberal echo chamber, so the left vs right stuff isn't quite as interesting.

It's kind of annoying, though, that all these idiots on twitter get to have a long discussion with some of my comedy heroes just by dint of being stupid and conservative (which are basically the same thing, am I right guys?), although I suppose in the end they get totally shit on by a load of professional improvisers, so it sort of balances out.

Well I tried to get Ben Shapiro to debate me but he did not accept. Brett B on the other hand badgered me all day to debate him and no one else was interested. Like I said on the show I think guys like this represent what a lot of people think. All the time, before the internet existed, I would often think about certain people on certain issues. "What the hell are those people thinking?!" Now with twitter, not only is it easy to "talk" to these people, they actually reach out and want to argue with me. To me that makes them an interesting source material.

I tried to communicate this with the gun control episode but I really am disappointed in how little comedy podcasts take on important social issues. Also, since I'm being asked about my vision allow me to be a little pretentious here for a second. The original long form improvisers from the Univ. of Chicago thought of their art form as theater for the people. The people meaning, real people with real problems not the upper class who attended "plays". When they would ask for a suggestion from the audience people would shout out shit that they wanted to talk about that was important to them and society. I think that has gotten lost in a big way. Now people shout out some food half the time.

So I look at Case Closed as being a no holds barred debate. And hopefully from that truth, no matter how ugly it gets, there can be some comedy.

Now, in regards to there being different mental weight classes in these fights and that being unfair. That is a fact I can't deny. So "bullying" will be next week's topic and I am proud to have Randy "The Ethicist" Cohen on to give me a verbal spanking.

What I feel, though, is that from the very beginning, Improv4Humans was ALWAYS a show that was able to take on important issues. Long before case closed even started this was the case. I don't think the show needs case closed because it always has intelligent guests that are perfectly capable of discussing these issues without throwing in a random person from twitter. I mean this episode had some of the best sketches the show has done, but all anyone's talking about is this uncomedic segment. I feel like the show should just tackle the issues with the improvisers instead of having a long, momentum-killing segment that makes most people uncomfortable.

• Like 1

For the record I love case closed. Little idiots like that guy might be small potatoes intellectually, but the shit they are spewing is actually very contagious on the Internet and so much of it goes unchecked.

My own personal opinion, as someone who loves real debate, is that Matt hardly bullied him at all. I think of bullying as intimidating someone into backing down. Shouting over someone, telling them to shut up, not allowing them to make a point, threats, attacks, etc. I don't think getting down in the mud and making them feel stupid is at all bullying, as long as you're arguing the merits and allow them their space.

• Like 4

I love Case Closed.

Silly is funny, but it is inconsequential.

Case closed segments make the comedy have poignancy and value.

You;re a hero Besser, exactly like Jackie Collins.

• Like 1

When Matt & co were addressing the concept of bullying, I was hoping someone would bring up the definition, or that I could at least recall it so I could think it while they were addressing it.

Namely, bullying is potentially repeatable, unwanted aggressive behavior involving a real or perceived power imbalance, and an be used to control or harm others. Actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, verbally or physically attacking someone, or excluding an individual from a group with malicious intent are all staples of bullying.

So this dude calling Matt out on Twitter, wanting to debate with Matt, and then going on i4h to do just that is fully accepting of all that entails. Just because Matt had a lot of paper-thin material to pick apart does not make him a bully. There was a lot to address in those tweets, and at any time the other dude could have walked Matt through the same motions of his argument. If Matt had told him to shut up and not given him a platform to say his piece, and instead berated him, then that would be an abuse of power. But Matt gave him plenty of chances to defend his position, and Matt picked apart each one as they were presented.

I like Matt's intensity, and understand how it could be intimidating to argue with him, but he's never ben belligerent and by all accounts displays a lot of patience during the Cased Closed segments, even when the subject matter gets emotionally charged.

It's not like anyone going on should be afraid to offend or anything, lest they won't be invited back to the show. They're not pundits on a 24 hour News Network who need to feed the monkey. This is their only shot to make a point, and they crumble.

• Like 1

I can't really say how I feel. Though I certainly disagree with the person I still had a bit of a bad taste after the segment for whatever reason.

I also think it is important to note the difference (not in this case necessarily as the person took to a public forum to voice his oppinion) between a negative/buit in reaction and the reality of how people live their lives and treat others. There are still random instances where I will call something "gay" without even thinking twice(I went to middle school after all...) but that has absolutely no bearing on my relationships with my gay friends.

I guess I just feel that the "good" people on anyside should not suffer. Both my parents are very strong christian conservative types and while some of their oppinions may seem limited and drive me up a wall I still respect them just as I would that of a gay/jewish or any other type of person as long as it is not intentionally attacking another group. I feel like people, not groups of people, should be the ones being attacked.

It kind of irritated me when you railed on christians so hard a few episodes because it was very one sided and you basically singled them out (and not entirely accurately as islam is JUST as intense in some of the areas if not moreso). I think you are looking too much into the idiots that voice their moronic oppinions and not the average person. I guess I have always struggled with writing off entire (non hate based) groups of people as it seems somewhat hippocritical to the argument of acceptance ( and not i'm not making the be tolerant of intolerance argument!).

I'm sure this was an add-addled mess, but I hope I did not entirely misrepresent myself. I also want to note I do not mean that I am in any means offended by making fun of religion. The "thats what jesus would have done" "no he wouldnt!" bug juice skit is one of my all time UCB favorites because it directly attacked those very idiots that misrepresent something.

sigh...after rereading this I'm not sure where my point was heading or if it even exists anymore..,

I'll take this thread moment to make a shameless plug for my comedy album "Woo Pig Sooie: Comedy for Atheists" available on www.mattbesser.com . In this show I lay out the reasons why I behave the way I do when it comes to religion and Christianity in particular. Outside of 9-11 Islamists haven't really affected my life so I don't really think about them much except when it comes to terrorist extremists. Believe it or not I am trying to ease up on my atheist rants but the Jason Collins backlash brought it out in me.

• Like 6

OK first and foremost, loved the improv on this one. That said, everyone seems to be talking about Case Closed so let me put in my two cents.

I really enjoy it. I realize it was maybe 10 minutes of non-improv on this episode, but I did laugh a few times, especially at the three ad-homonym attacks (I can't help it! I know it's wrong.) In regards to bullying, I wouldn't call it real bullying, but you have debate style bullying. I think anyone who has practiced debate knows what this is. Finishing a thought by repeating and talking over someone, raising your voice, placing bets (remember Romney?) etc. And I know it works most of the time. I just recognize it as an easy win over someone that doesn't know these debate tactics.

All said, I don't actually give a shit. That's why I'm taking the time to write this- because I literally don't give a shit. This show is almost always a win, win, win! I love this show.

Sign in to follow this