🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Monkey_man

Other RPG's

Do you guys play any other RPG's besides DnD?

I came across one the other day called Traveller, and it sounded like it would fit in very well with your current story line actually. Here is a link to the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia....ller_%28game%29) It just sounds like something all of you would enjoy based on the last 24 episodes. The game recently shipped off its 5th edition thanks to a Kickstarter campaign that raised 10 times its goal.

Just something I thought would be interesting and would make for really great play with all of the team.

All of the Hero game systems are far better than D and D You are given points and you make characters smoother combat sysytem and the character creation system works for any genre. Way better than Gurps cuz it is more detailed and complete. The superhero game Champions and Fantasy Hero are the best!!

I don't play anymore, but we had a couple nights of Shadow Run were really fun. I was a wheelman named Otto Maddox (yep, ripping off Repo Man) who was basically just a rip-off of Spike from Buffy. Also played Poltergeisters, which is a good time for a one-off game (basically it's a more humour focused game where you play ghostbusters who intentionally give eachother story complications for fun.

I run a Ghostbusters RPG (actually licensed Ghostbusters game from the 80s). It's suprisingly hilarious and there's VERY few rules. It's also fun because it's set in 1986 so you can have a lot of fun with that setting.

I also plan on running a Star Wars rpg this summer if I have the time.

• Like 1

We've played a few nights of Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space with the kids to introduce them to RPGs. It was fun, but after the first campaign, we'll be making a few adjustments for the sake of matching characters to play styles and interest levels.

Is that a tough game to play? Because I'd imagine everyone would want to be The Doctor. Who wants to be a lame companion?

Is that a tough game to play? Because I'd imagine everyone would want to be The Doctor. Who wants to be a lame companion?

We actually made the mistake of letting the least interested child be the Doctor. Captain Jack had to take over and bail us out of several scrapes.

White Wolf games tend to be a lot of fun.. Specifically Changeling and Werewolf.. (I played those 10 years ago, no TB influence here)

Deadlands was a LOT of fun

Shadowlands and Cyberpunk if you're in the mood.

I also enjoyed Bushido

I've got a fairly hefty RPG collection, but as far as games I actually play...

*Savage Worlds (just converted a D&D game over to Savage Worlds mid-campaign actually)

*PDQ (fairly obscure story-gamish system, but it still uses dice because I do have some standards)

*FATE (slightly less obscure story-gamish system)

Also, am I the only person who would love to see the nerd poker crew play something with a power level like Exalted or a Supers game...just the random, wanton chaos that could be caused if they had full-scale superpowers.

I used to play quite a few RPGs back in my teen and early 20s.

- Gurps

- Boot Hill

- Rifts

- Blood Bowl

Yeah, D&D is over played but what ever works for the group. Hero is a solid game(more detailed then gurps!?! I didn't understand that comment since gurps is the king of detail and crunch).

Since they love Star Wars so much I think travelers or a generic based system would be a great for a new campaign.....in space!

High school in the late 90's my friends and I were all into the Palladium and White Wolf stuff.

-Palladium fantasy

-Rifts

-Ninjas & Superspies

-TMNT

-Vampire: Dark Ages

-Vampire: The Masquerade

I haven't played in decades, but old skool Traveller was my absolute favorite system. Just creating a character was an epic adventure. Seriously, in a Carl Sagan-esque fashion, you first began by creating their planet. Oh, and your character might die while you were rolling them up. Should have mustered out early, Cpt. Wormfood.

So far my only RPG experience has been Shadowrun, which my buddies and I just recently started into. It's fun so far! We're all learning as we go and I'm still trying to figure out how to roleplay an 8-foot Orc P.I. somehow having a +5 Stealth-skill, but the atmosphere's a lot of fun and when the action kicks up it gets intense. I'd recommend it.

Traveller is a BLAST! oh how i love it.... if you love back ground info..... Well i hope your not busy for the next four days, cause Traveller will fill it up.

Ive been messing around with the Savage Worlds system, there is a great fan made cross over for Traveller using their rules.

(ill post the link when im home im at work now)

yup

I played some of the original Traveller (still got all the little books). You have to love a system where your character can die during the character creation process.

• Like 1

I played some of the original Traveller (still got all the little books). You have to love a system where your character can die during the character creation process.

Uggg i have no idea how many Marines ive lost in charicter creation........

Uggg i have no idea how many Marines ive lost in charicter creation........

How in the hell does that work?

On a side note I've played 2 full games of Call of Cthulhu now and I love it.

On a side note I've played 2 full games of Call of Cthulhu now and I love it.

It's supposed to be great! have you played Mansion of Madness? That game is fantastic.

The character creation process in Traveller involved randomly generating a character history, in order to develop the skills and abilities the character possessed when they started adventuring. On paper, this was an excellent idea. In practice, some branches of the military involved seeing active combat, with the commensurate risk of being killed. So you start generating a military character, only to have them die in their third tour of duty because you wanted to try for another rank and therefore a higher income after retirement.

Pathfinder. I'm loving Pathfinder. My friends and I have converted our 3rd, 4th and 3.5 campaigns to Pathfinder and have been having a blast of it. I've also played ShadowRun and White Wolf back in the day. I prefer DMing Pathfinder, though. It does a great job of balancing out the classes. Except the Bard. 4th edition had the best bard.

Bah Bards worst class ever.....

Well in 1rst it was cool... i believe you had to be 5th fighter 5th rouge 5th mage before you could go to bard....

I may be mistaken.

Never played pathfinder but i hear good things.

The character creation process in Traveller involved randomly generating a character history, in order to develop the skills and abilities the character possessed when they started adventuring. On paper, this was an excellent idea. In practice, some branches of the military involved seeing active combat, with the commensurate risk of being killed. So you start generating a military character, only to have them die in their third tour of duty because you wanted to try for another rank and therefore a higher income after retirement.

Oh that makes sense. It's weird when you start an RPG and you're level 1 yet many times you're character is written as having previous adventures.