🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 62 — Joyful Noise

Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me. Especially when combined with Chris Brown.

Shannon, thank you for so eloquently describing why I should never watch this movie under any circumstances. Ever.

Great ep, though - really enjoyed Fred Stoller!

• Like 1

CHIORY?

No, QUARRY!

someone make June meme now!

Great show guys! :P

I think it's just because I'm borderline obsessed with Dolly and I think my brain was viewing the scene like a separate music video and I was touched.

I'll just leave this here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

(Not a Miley Cyrus fan, but I think this is pretty great. Dolly Parton is apparently her godmother.)

(Not a Miley Cyrus fan, but I think this is pretty great. Dolly Parton is apparently her godmother.)

1) I am a Miley fan. hardcore

2) I have seen that before and have it on my ipod and so I greatly appreciate you sharing it with everyone here because it is great

3) That is correct, AND Dolly played Miley's aunt on quite a few episodes of Hannah Montana

I honestly expected this to go the other way, with a response like:

tumblr_m5v2ihyCuL1qkpccwo1_500.gif

Well, I'm full of surprises Dan.

But good choice in using one of my favorite gifs

I was having a great time with the movie until the kid from the kid choir started speaking in tongues and I had PTSD flashbacks and had to walk around my house for awhile, then the medley didn't help at all. Jesus parodies are also a trigger for me. Especially when combined with Chris Brown.

I'd recommend watching Spice World ten more times. and you should be good.

But I did love Dolly's solo duet and did tear up because I thought it was the most beautiful part of the movie (This is once again another episode that has made me love singers I didn't grow up with) I DID, however, have 2 big WTF moments in that scene. First, I can't believe that they did not touch on the dancing by MOON SPOTLIGHT. I loved it, but in both a loving way and a "What is Happening?" way. Second, Kris Kristofferson was CLEARLY just speaking the chorus to the song. I mean there was struggling, and then there was not trying.

As for Queen Latifah, I really did not like her character at all, but I will give her props for the Supermodel speech and "Fix Me Jesus", where despite her just singing one line repeatedly, I found myself charmed.

And for reference, Olivia was played by Keke Palmer, star of the greatest movie I was ever taken on a school field trip to see, Akeelah and the Bee.

But above all else, this movie is why I love the podcast. As much as people rally for bad movie classics like The Happening, it was refreshing to see a bad movie that had no Razzie nods or camp status and still be a crazy experience. I remember seeing only one trailer in the theater for this, but I'm glad to add this to my best worst movie selections. Thanks Guys!

• Like 2

I think this movie is worth watching, although you might want to skip everything except the music numbers if you can. Maybe that's what everyone was thinking when they recommended it.

I have to admit Queen Latifah did win me over, as terrible as her character was. I find that is usually true of Queen Latifah.

Fred Stoller was great, still one of the best scenes ever in DUMB AND DUMBER, "Get off the phone, oh he just turned his back on me!"

Where's the love May 24th FAST 6, so excited! Great episode.

Did anybody else find it creepy how that one Amazon review kept using words like "available" and "purchase?" There were so many phrases that you hear in commercials but real people don't actually say that it creeped me right the hell out. I am assuming that it was a bit of for-profit SEO spam.

Fred Stoller has been one of the best guests so far. Would love to see him back for a "so bad it's good" movie.

• Like 2

Agree with the general consensus...Great guest, great episode but I fall on the depressed-by-it side of the court...SO much death and weird sex obsession with a really pithy New Age Christian "message" (which was...?). The movie starts off so-so but once you find out the kid brother is not merely goofy but rather has Asperger's, the movie takes a dark turn downwards with a lot of illogical and hard-to-follow turns...I was baffled by the Latifah husband situation also as it just didn't seem to gel...

Yay for Fred Stoller!

What a truly great guest! A guy that got it, mocked with the best of them and just was a pure delight to have on. I also ruined my computer screens at work with a spit take when Fred said he bought the Joyful Noise soundtrack... slayed me.

The sunglasses for the kid with Aspergers makes sense but the movie didn't do ANYTHING to explain why. It might have been on accident like you guys suggested. My son has Apsergers and a key component for a lot of people on this end of the autism spectrum live with different sensory sensitivities Certain sounds, over stimulation, fabrics or lighting (especially flourescent) bothers them. We have a special plan in place with my son's school that includes allowing him to wear sunglasses in the building and during if he feels like he needs to.

I don't think there was anything in the movie that did a good job of explaining this kid's Aspergers or even that they got it right, but I just thought I'd share and educate a little!

Good info, thanks. Personally, I was just disappointed that Jason inexplicably didn't use his catchphrase ON THE SPECTRUM when it was verifiably appropriate rather than mere speculation.

I love that June refers to Queen Latifah as "Queen" as if that's her first name and Latifah is her last name.

Awesome episode, Fred has been pretty great every time I've heard him on podcasts.

I'm glad so many other people noticed this - Fred Stoller was an absolutely amazing guest! Damn he was almost TOO observant to keep up with and freaking hilariously so.

Sorry i can't get past the woman that effs chinese men to death or , as Stoller points out - almost 'horror movie' like film footage of couples in the park.

"you get left with a soundtrack and a recording of yourselves in the park" holy efff that was funny.

Anyways - great episode (although I felt strangely depressed over the weird darkness of this one) and please please have Fred Stoller back soon!!

Joyful Noise Takes On...

Rhianna!

Some might be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it

Prayer in the air, I don't care, I like the sound of it

Sticks and stones may break my bones

But Christ and Church excite me!

Flo Rida!

You spin me right round Jesus

Right round, so I go down

On my knees, downtown!

Rick James!

I'm a Jesus Freak!

Jesus Freak! I'm Jesus Freak-ay!

...And Many More!

YOU GUYS. NO ONE MENTIONED AUTO-TUNE?????

AUTO TUNE

WTF AUTO TUNE EVERYWHERE! EEEK

I love that June refers to Queen Latifah as "Queen" as if that's her first name and Latifah is her last name.

Especially considering that Queen's real name is Dana Owens. It would've been amazing if they had just referred to her as Dana Owens and half of the audience had no idea what was going on.

Also, did Paul say at one point that this was based on a book? Because I did research and "Joyful Noise" is also a book of children's poetry about insects. Joyful Noise the movie should be an original screenplay

And you thought I was kidding about the insect poetry