🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JeremyPhillips

Doctor Who: The Movie (1996)

What better way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who than with the ill-fated attempt to launch it on the Fox network? Paul McGann (Withnail & I, Alien3) plays the new Doctor and TV's Eric Roberts is his arch-enemy, the Master, as they do battle in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1999. Take everything that was great about the original BBC show and throw it under a bus! See a totally incoherant story, alienating overreliance on mythology for a show aimed at a new audience, the main character being shot in the chest and dying 10 minutes into the movie (he gets better), and TV's Eric Roberts as the campest villian ever!

Not a great film, but I feel like an episode devoted to it would quickly devolve into picking on Doctor Who itself, which would send me into a nerd rage.

• Like 1

It is bad I won't deny. But the only way it's HDTGM worthy is if you're a big Doctor Who fan, some of the bigger flaws are continuity related which doesn't work for the show. I feel like Eric Robert's performance is one of the few things that is universally terrible in this.

I think this would make a good episode because Karen Gilliam is gonna be on NTSF:SD:SUV(sp??) this season. This may be something that she can totally trash without it being a conflict of interest since it wasn't made the BBC.

• Like 1

Karen Gilliam would make a great guest on the show. but the problem is she wasn't or had nothing to do with this verison of Doctor who so it would be waste of time.

I remember this movie and it wasn't really all that great. i mean as far as rewatching.

Karen Gilliam would make a great guest on the show. but the problem is she wasn't or had nothing to do with this verison of Doctor who so it would be waste of time.

I imagine that it wouldn't be any different than having any other guest talking about a movie they had nothing to do with.

Ya I agree, just don't see what she would add to this film as she wasn't in it. Her only collection to it is doctor who. I don't think any of the people who did the new doctor who had any connection what so ever to this one time movie. it was a flop.

I think this would make a good episode because Karen Gilliam is gonna be on NTSF:SD:SUV(sp??) this season. This may be something that she can totally trash without it being a conflict of interest since it wasn't made the BBC.

It was made by the BBC as they own the rights, it was just a joint production with Fox & Universal.

I imagine that it wouldn't be any different than having any other guest talking about a movie they had nothing to do with.

Didja hear that the giant mechanical spider in "Wild Wild West" was supposed to be in Kevin Smith's "Superman"? HUH?! DID YOU?!?!?!?!

Didja hear that the giant mechanical spider in "Wild Wild West" was supposed to be in Kevin Smith's "Superman"? HUH?! DID YOU?!?!?!?!

Jevub snutgs

Paul talked about that in the wild wild west episode of HDTGM.

Jevub snutgs

Paul talked about that in the wild wild west episode of HDTGM.

And Kevin Smith was on the "Wild Wild West" episode where he told that story for the BILLIONTH time. Something he was forced to write into a script ended up in another movie when that script didn't get made, but the way he explains it (all billion times), that's never happened to a screenwriter ever in all of recorded time. He also had nothing to do with "Wild Wild West".

I actually saw that Kevin Smith was on the "Wild Wild West" podcast and avoided listening to it. (The topic where someone asked that he not come back helped me make that decision.) And you're right, he does act like nobody's ever forced a screenwriter to add something stupid to a script before; I think he's deluded from working in indie films and his geek cred (see also: his belief that critics should pay to see his movies).

I actually saw that Kevin Smith was on the "Wild Wild West" podcast and avoided listening to it. (The topic where someone asked that he not come back helped me make that decision.) And you're right, he does act like nobody's ever forced a screenwriter to add something stupid to a script before; I think he's deluded from working in indie films and his geek cred (see also: his belief that critics should pay to see his movies).

The thing with Smith is that he's a known personality, and there aren't a lot of screenwriters with the type of fan base he has, so all of a sudden pretty minor things like that become somewhat interesting trivia (as long as you haven't heard the story a billion times) to people that normally don't pay attention to who writes what. I remember back when Smith was a bigger deal, before he started telling his giant spider story on the lecture circuit to anyone that would listen, people in my comic store would be like "Did you know that KEVIN SMITH wrote a Superman script?". No shit, so did dozens of other people before a new Superman movie actually got MADE. Smith's just the only one that's any sort of household name among sci-fi/fantasy/superhero/geek culture fans.

• Like 1

still scratching my head. trying to figure out what the hell this Kevin Smith's wild wild west has to do with doctorwho and Karen Gilliam.

I've never heard the Kevin Smith WWW story tell HDTGM episode and being a fan of Kevein smiths movies, the only story that keeps coming up is the too fat to fly southwest airlines story. Mind you it's Southwest the worst airlines you can ever fly. It's like flying on a school bus.

I am going to pull a doctorwho here and go back in time and change my answer: I take it back: on Karen Gilliam you would think they could get her for HDTGM, but it just hit me.Ray Liotta was on NTSF:SD:SUV and they could of asked him to host a episode of HDTGM and it didn't happen. Thinking about it now. wow what a great episode that would of been with "in the name of the king" as the movie. that would of blow every show out of the water.

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/11744-karen-gilliam/

Ray Liotta doesn't strike me as a guy who is too willing to laugh at his own work. Perhaps I'm wrong though...

I watching Ray Liotta on Craig Ferguson the other night. it was a very odd interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL0TRgfbsQA

You may be right, but I'd listen to it.besides I was talking about for the show in the name of the king, They could of got him for that show. they missed a very good chance to do a show together. It's too bad Ray Liotta hasn't done any crappy films since then...

:lol:

still scratching my head. trying to figure out what the hell this Kevin Smith's wild wild west has to do with doctorwho and Karen Gilliam.

Absolutely nothing. It's just that when anyone brings up guests that have been on the show that have nothing to do with the movie they're talking about (or they're there to talk about something other than the movie), Smith is my go-to.

Sign in to follow this