🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

Scarface (just hear me out, I am not trolling)

Ok, yes, I know that this movie is on the IMDB top 250 and in the 30 years since it was released has became one of the iconic films ever made. I am by no means suggesting that it is a bad movie, I do think it's somewhat overrated (but still enjoyable) and it is dated, but my opinion of the movie aside:

A - It is BATSHIT insane. We all know some of the lines such as "Say 'ello to mah lettel fren" and "I bury those cock-a-roaches" but the only thing higher than Tony's bodycount is the pile of cocaine on his desk, and murder is treated as casually as a leisure suit from Tony's wardrobe.

B - This is Pacino at his Pacinoiest, but it's the role that we all overlook because it's one that we expect

C - What other movies can you name that stop in the middle to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fa8-6BIFo

Now, do I expect the gang to do this movie? Not really, I think it's too iconic and I bet Paul and Jason have some fond memories of this from their youth, but I wanted to at least get some discussion about this movie here.

• Like 1

The whole point of the movie is to show the excesses of top level drug dealers in the 80's so how else can you do that without being over the top? Murder is treated casually to show how casually these people treat murder. Pacino acts over the top because that is how an immigrant criminal who came from nothing would act if he suddenly became the top cocaine dealer/user in America. Tony was always a little larger than life but he didn't act all that crazy from the start, it was a journey that we went on with him that climaxed with the huge pile of cocaine on his desk.

They wouldn't do this movie because it's a well made movie that stands the test of time, not because they have fond memories of it from their youth.

I recall there being talk recently, like within the last couple of years, about a possible remake being in the works, which makes me wonder this: If they updated the story to make it more contemporary to reflect modern urban culture, would the new Scarface have a "Scarface" room in his mansion? I haven't watched "Cribs" in a while, is that still a thing? I always figured if I made it big as a rapper, I'd have a room in my house devoted to just ANY other Pacino flick, like there'd be a shrine to "Bobby Deerfield" or "Author! Author!". I'd be quoting "Sea of Love" left and right.

• Like 3

The whole point of the movie is to show the excesses of top level drug dealers in the 80's so how else can you do that without being over the top? Murder is treated casually to show how casually these people treat murder. Pacino acts over the top because that is how an immigrant criminal who came from nothing would act if he suddenly became the top cocaine dealer/user in America. Tony was always a little larger than life but he didn't act all that crazy from the start, it was a journey that we went on with him that climaxed with the huge pile of cocaine on his desk.

They wouldn't do this movie because it's a well made movie that stands the test of time, not because they have fond memories of it from their youth.

There are a lot of other rise-and-fall gangster movies that are able to show the same sort of story without the scarface level of insanity. Just look at Goodfellas, it tells of the rise and fall of Henry Hill and remains modest throughout, which in my opinion gives it a lot more emotional impact than Scarface. Plus, at no point is there a montage of DeNiro, Pesci and Liotta making buisiness deals while a cheesy synth 80s song drowns out audible dialog.

Now, remember, I am NOT saying that Scarface is a bad movie, just an insane and over the top one.

Goodfellas was more about the mob and the innerworkings of it whereas Scarface was all about a guy who thought he deserved to be treated like a god and was then given that power in addition to becoming a huge coke head. Goodfellas wasn't really trying to be a 70's or 80's movie while a good deal of Scarface was about showing all the excessess of the 80's. Henry Hill was a guy who, for the most part, wanted a normal life and family while Tony Montana just wanted to be the biggest, most badass drug dealer in the world. These two movies were telling completely different stories with Scarface making a point to show what an over the top decade the 80's were, especially if you were the #1 drug dealer in Miami.

So while I agree it was over the top I disagree that they could have made it without it being. Goodfellas told the story of a fairly normal guy who worked for the mob and lived a pretty normal life. While Scarface tells the story of the #1 drug dealer in Miami during the 80's. I'm guessing the latter would be a bit more over the top than the former.

Much as I didn't like "Scarface" (dear freaking heavens, this movie did not need to be nearly three hours long), I don't think it would fit on HDTGM. The most WTF thing in the movie is the incestuous vibes between Tony and his sister, and there really isn't that much of it.

I recall there being talk recently, like within the last couple of years, about a possible remake being in the works, which makes me wonder this: If they updated the story to make it more contemporary to reflect modern urban culture, would the new Scarface have a "Scarface" room in his mansion?

I'd heard about USA wanting to do an urban remake of "Scarface" back in about 2005. I sincerely doubt it'll happen, if only because it's the most laughably pandering idea I've ever heard.

They should never remake this movie but I would be ok with someone on the internet remixing a new soundtrack into it. As it ages, the horror of 80's pop cheese music and overuse of Moog background really becomes more and more distracting. Just my opinion.

Well there were actually a couple different "sequels" to Scarface. The first was a video game released in 2007 where the game starts at the mansion assault and is an alternate take of it where Tony survives, kills all of his attackers, and escapes. He then loses everything when the government seizes his property and he has nothing. Tony decides to quit cocaine and get his revenge on Sosa for the rest of the game while rebuilding his empire. The game was a GTA style shooter that had the nice little touch of the player being unable to shoot female characters, even if you tried you would just get Tony saying he doesn't do that. The game was actually really good for a movie adaptation.

The more true "sequel" was a graphic novel released a few years back which follows the movie in that Tony was shot in the back and thought dead. But when Feds begin going over the crime scene, paramedics realize Tony is still alive due to the massive amount of cocaine in his system, which amped his adrenaline up to where his heart was still pumping. After massive surgery to save him, Tony his held as against his will by corrupt cops looking to ransack whats left of his empire. He begins building up his empire again and eventually kills Sosa, only to find out his wife is now married to his rival.

• Like 1

The more true "sequel" was a graphic novel released a few years back which follows the movie in that Tony was shot in the back and thought dead. But when Feds begin going over the crime scene, paramedics realize Tony is still alive due to the massive amount of cocaine in his system, which amped his adrenaline up to where his heart was still pumping. After massive surgery to save him, Tony his held as against his will by corrupt cops looking to ransack whats left of his empire. He begins building up his empire again and eventually kills Sosa, only to find out his wife is now married to his rival.

Did he have to keep getting electrocuted to keep his pacemaker going?

• Like 2

No, but the comic showed all of his surgeries as if he the cover for Operation. And there was a scene Tony Montana choked a street dealer with his colostomy bag.

Did he have to keep getting electrocuted to keep his pacemaker going?

He has to eat a kilo of coke every hour, on the hour, otherwise his pulse will drop below 180 which causes a bomb to explode in his sister's afro.

• Like 2

Bookies want to steal his heart to put it into the frozen body of Len Bias.

wow Lando, what a web we weave. btw that's my favorite part of scarface, with the dollar bill counter going on and on.

scarface is like a fringing classic. how dare you suggest they make a show about scarface. it's like the greatest movie ever made.

Well there were actually a couple different "sequels" to Scarface. The first was a video game released in 2007 where the game starts at the mansion assault and is an alternate take of it where Tony survives, kills all of his attackers, and escapes. He then loses everything when the government seizes his property and he has nothing. Tony decides to quit cocaine and get his revenge on Sosa for the rest of the game while rebuilding his empire. The game was a GTA style shooter that had the nice little touch of the player being unable to shoot female characters, even if you tried you would just get Tony saying he doesn't do that. The game was actually really good for a movie adaptation.

The game was definitely a hell of a lot of fun. I remember being able to taunt your enemies and that you'd actually get more of a bonus for trash talking them AFTER they were already dead. I used to go for so long without actually doing any of the missions, like just fucking around and seeing what I could jump my car off of.

• Like 2

They should never remake this movie but I would be ok with someone on the internet remixing a new soundtrack into it. As it ages, the horror of 80's pop cheese music and overuse of Moog background really becomes more and more distracting. Just my opinion.

According to the IMDb, Universal wanted to put in a hip-hop soundtrack for the 2003 rerelease, but Brian De Palma refused to let them change it, saying that the music was "true to the period."

I think they did sorta do a remake of this movie in the world of gangster hood. but my brain is slowly shutting down.

I love the music in this film btw. push it to the limit it just makes me smile and feel good remembering the 80's style films. good or bad cheeey pop bubble gum music. I love flock of seagulls

Ok, yes, I know that this movie is on the IMDB top 250 and in the 30 years since it was released has became one of the iconic films ever made. I am by no means suggesting that it is a bad movie, I do think it's somewhat overrated (but still enjoyable) and it is dated, but my opinion of the movie aside:

A - It is BATSHIT insane. We all know some of the lines such as "Say 'ello to mah lettel fren" and "I bury those cock-a-roaches" but the only thing higher than Tony's bodycount is the pile of cocaine on his desk, and murder is treated as casually as a leisure suit from Tony's wardrobe.

B - This is Pacino at his Pacinoiest, but it's the role that we all overlook because it's one that we expect

C - What other movies can you name that stop in the middle to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fa8-6BIFo

Now, do I expect the gang to do this movie? Not really, I think it's too iconic and I bet Paul and Jason have some fond memories of this from their youth, but I wanted to at least get some discussion about this movie here.

I've gotta agree. This movie is so insane and over the top. I can't really agree that Scarface is well made. I've thought this for years, but never knew that other people agreed with me. The acting is pretty bad overall. The accents are terrible, and it's pretty offensive that there are a bunch of white actors in "tan face" portraying Cubans.

I think they did sorta do a remake of this movie in the world of gangster hood. but my brain is slowly shutting down. I love the music in this film btw. push it to the limit it just makes me smile and feel good remembering the 80's style films. good or bad cheeey pop bubble gum music. I love flock of seagulls

I have no problem with Push It To The Limit as a song, but it's more that it feels like it belongs in a sports movie not a gangster one. If it was in a film about an underdog basketball team and they were training really hard it would fit right in, but it's not, it's about a cocaine lord from Cuba.

Also, it's by no means the worst montage song from the 80s:

Not gonna lie, big fan of Best Around, also a big fan of Karate Kid 2's Glory of Love (but that's more of a date montage than action montage song).

he's a musical genuis I am sure. No one makes better consistent coke lines then Joe Esposito.

I like the south park version better.

Anyway My point I think is taken that it's the music of the period you can't think of the Karate Kid with out thinking of that song. your the best. just as you can't think of scarface with out push it to the limit. Personal speaking I wish my bank would play that song every time i walked in the door, would bring a smile to my face.

Rocky is the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wif1EzGQ9Fk

I think what sets Gonna Fly Now and You're The Best apart from Push It To The Limit is that they fit within the theme of the movie (where Hearts on Fire does not fit in with Rocky 4, it sounds like it belongs with a geek-to-sheik makeover montage).

That said, I would like to see a fighter come out to Push It To The Limit non-ironically.

Sign in to follow this