🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
LamoraEric

Jack Reacher (2012)

HDTGM has not done a Tom Cruise movie yet so I suggest Jack Reacher. instant comedy gold Tom is at his finest in this "action dramedy" he steals multiple cars "some are just given to him" and at one point calls a woman a slut but don't worry she's punched to death later on please consider Jack Reacher

• Like 1

There's one wacky thing in that we're supposed to believe someone can just look at tiny Tom Cruise and "know" that he could kill a woman with a single punch. The woman at the motel registration desk could not be more emphatic about that. When they cast Cruise instead of someone who matched the size of the character, they forgot to re-write that aspect.

• Like 1

Actually, this movie really isn't that bad or weird. Like I said in the thread for "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol," Tom Cruise may believe in some really stupid, messed-up things, but he knows how to choose action films.

• Like 4

I liked this movie too. But I'd love them to do it if only Paul F Tompkins came on to play Werner Herzog, haha.

• Like 2

I liked this movie too. But I'd love them to do it if only Paul F Tompkins came on to play Werner Herzog, haha.

A thousand times yes to this.

• Like 1

The start of this film is actually pretty good but everything that happens around Tom Cruise/Werner Herzog in this film is hilariously over the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VKUXilyPA

"I'm a drifter with nothing to lose...I'll drink your blood from a boot"

Also, what the fuck was that bathroom fight scene all about, why is there a tribute to the stooges in the middle of a fight during the film?

Since PFT agreed to come on as Werner Herzog, I think this might be the best one to do. I know fans of the books were really pissed about how Reacher was changed. Has Jason read this one yet?

• Like 1

I've read most of the series and get why they are mad because Lee Child made Reacher this larger than life character in the books. After the casting was announced Child did come out and tell everyone to cool it because "Reacher's size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force," but admitted that the physical appearance of the character was completely unrealistic. and that "Cruise portrays in his own way." In comparison to the book I thought the movie did a really good job of getting the overall story across and the fight scenes in Reacher books do usually have a comic tilt to them leading up to the big final fights.

• Like 1

id love to hear tim heidecker and gregg turkington come on as the oncinema tim and gregg and battle it out over this one. oncinema tim is a massive cruise fan but then PFT's werner could make it one of the classic eps ... love when he's on DLM

I actually really liked this movie. Not really a whole lo of crazy going on in it, its pretty boiler pot hard boiled detective fare, but Cruise does a good job being grizzled.

I actually really liked this movie. Not really a whole lo of crazy going on in it, its pretty boiler pot hard boiled detective fare, but Cruise does a good job being grizzled.

Same, I don't know what it is about Cruise, I used to find him barely tolerable in public for the longest time, but over the past few years I have really begun to enjoy his work. It also helps that he's still doing his own stunts no matter how insane they are and how many other A list stars can you point to and say the same thing?

Same, I don't know what it is about Cruise, I used to find him barely tolerable in public for the longest time, but over the past few years I have really begun to enjoy his work. It also helps that he's still doing his own stunts no matter how insane they are and how many other A list stars can you point to and say the same thing?

I still fully expect him to make a jump from space at some point. Remember a couple years back when that one guy broke the record for the highest jump from anywhere ever? I seriously see Cruise figuring out how far that was, tacking on another 20 feet, and then doing it as part of a second act set piece in "Mission Impossible 6".

Now there's the story that he wants to make Top Gun 2 as long as he can fly the jets again. Why didn't the Jackass guys get him to cameo in their show like they did with Brad Pitt, I'm sure whatever they would have come up with he would just look at them and go "sure I'm down for that."

The sequel is out today with fairly lukewarm reviews. I wonder if it will flop.

From what I remember of the original Jack Reacher, they built up Reacher to be the most elite of the elite badass, but it felt like all hot air. I don't know why I had such a hard time buying it, he plays that type of character often enough that he of all people should be able to pull it off. Also, Herzog felt like a Bond villain and it seemed really out of place.

I have a soft spot for almost any action-comedy movie and this one in particular. I feel like action movies in the post-arnold/stallone era have completely missed the boat for the most part, taking themselves way too seriously to seem badass and ending up full of cliches. Boring. It's an absurd genre so I really appreciate it when action movies aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves and lean into the comedy aspect of it. Having Werner Herzog as the villain is just the cherry on top.

• Like 1