🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 63 — Fast & Furious 6

I haven't finished listening to the rest of the podcast yet but I've got to throw this out there. How long was the runway during that final sequence? That thing must have been at least 20 miles long, right? That sequence was at least 10 minutes long and they were speeding down that runway at almost flight speed.

Ah, that crumpled piece of paper. Forgot about that. I was too caught up in Hobbs violating laws, human rights, and physics to get what he wanted and never facing any consequences. Hobbs is kind of like the antithesis of Marion Cobretti. Cobra basically does everything by the book but is treated like some renegade psychopath. Hobbs is a renegade psychopath, but he gets results you stupid chief!

It's easy to get distracted while watching this film. As much as I liked it, I completely agree that it was absurd.

1st: Gina Carano isn't known for being a stunt double and American Gladiator. She's known for being one of the best Women's MMA fighter in the world before she took a break to act.

2nd: The cargo plane used in the movie is a Lockheed C-5 Galaxy. It has a large airlift capability, one that can carry outsize and oversize cargos, including all air-certifiable cargo.

That will be the twist for Fast 7, Ian Shaw (Statham) will have her as his "in" to the group to where he was able to kill Han and get in contact with the others. Oh and did anyone else notice that they did the same thing that they had done with Fast 5 where to establish that they were in Brazil they constantly showed the giant Jesus statue, but for England they showed that giant Ferris Wheel?

Ha! Yeah, they did do that. I forgive him though because Justin Lin spends most of his time planning amazing action sequences.

Forgot to add that June was ON FIRE this episode. She was having a good time and it really came through.

"saw it coming from A MILE AWAY!"

• Like 3

It's easy to get distracted while watching this film. As much as I liked it, I completely agree that it was absurd.

You had it right when you said this is a superhero movie sans cape or magical hammers. I watched the first Iron Man over the holiday weekend and there is a part where Tony Stark is right next to a bomb -- so close in fact that he can read the Stark Industries logo on it -- before it explodes. Why is he still alive after that? They try to make sense of it by revealing he had some sort of body armor on, but if you are that close to an explosive, your head, legs, and arm are going to be ripped off by the impact. These movies are setting a hyper reality where people can make top-notch technology while being held prisoner in a cave in Afghanistan. For superhero and these FF movies, you just gotta roll with it sometimes.

• Like 1

Forgot to add that June was ON FIRE this episode. She was having a good time and it really came through.

"saw it coming from A MILE AWAY!"

Yeah... I know that feeling... I totally figured out who was the alien pretending to be a human in "The Watch" "saw it coming from A MILE AWAY!" ;)

• Like 1

I wish, I WISH, that in the next FF movie they will do a true crossover of two totally disparate movies. So, bring in Jason Stratham, but he's playing the Transporter role. Or have him actually be Chev Chellios and bring in all of the craziness from the Crank franchise. This could be the action movie equivalent to Patton Oswald crazy ass speech about the next Star Wars movie.

• Like 1

I wish, I WISH, that in the next FF movie they will do a true crossover of two totally disparate movies. So, bring in Jason Stratham, but he's playing the Transporter role. Or have him actually be Chev Chellios and bring in all of the craziness from the Crank franchise. This could be the action movie equivalent to Patton Oswald crazy ass speech about the next Star Wars movie.

If they don't make him the same crank character I will be most disappoint. That's a fucking home run waiting to happen.

And the jaw-dropping post-credits scene that made Adam Scott declare that director Justin Lin must be a fan of How Did This Get Made.

Yes this is true, he is also a forum member... "JustinL" ;) lol

• Like 3

If they don't make him the same crank character I will be most disappoint. That's a fucking home run waiting to happen.

OMG, I JUST HAD AN IDEA! What if Stratham plays the same character he does in The Expendables, so that you have those two movies cross pollinate!!!

I think I just came in my pants...

OMG, I JUST HAD AN IDEA! What if Stratham plays the same character he does in The Expendables, so that you have those two movies cross pollinate!!!

I think I just came in my pants...

My head will explode and a giant car driven by Statham will come flying through the debris. F&F 7 guys. I'm with Jason, I need fast 7 to come out tomorrow.

• Like 1

My head will explode and a giant car driven by Statham will come flying through the debris. F&F 7 guys. I'm with Jason, I need fast 7 to come out tomorrow.

Now that I know Justin Lin is behind all of this, I can't wait to see the next movie he takes on. I will be there, sir. I will be there.

Oh, man, the FF7 can't come quick enough.

Once every three or four months I'll think of the first movie when Dom tells us that it was HIM screaming. Haunting/chilling stuff!

I seriously think that director Justin Lin is a How Did This Get Made fan...

Remember how in episode 9 the guys reviewed "Fast Five" and Jason said that at some point he thought that "Biker Chick" Gisele and "Brazilian Police Woman" Elena Neves where the same character because they had the same hair style, hair color and hair cut?

What do we see at the very beginning of "Fast & Furious 6"??? The "Brazilian Police Woman" Elena Neves has hair highlights.

:o

• Like 1

This is amazing, just acknowledge that Statham is actually the same character in every movie and he's somehow immortal and able to cross into alternate dimensions or something. I fully expect him to be in Avengers 2.

• Like 1

:mellow::huh::( <<--------- these smileys indicate my sadness when a HDTGM episode can be so psyched about a movie that I found a complete waste of time.

None of this was 'so-bad-its-good' or so bonkers stupid it made me happy. I did appreciate some of it - throwing people through brick walls, the ridiculousness of living awesome lives in Brazil IF ONLY they could get back to their shltty house back home etc.

But man.. everyone was SO HAPPY and I was just like a foreigner simply missing out. Honestly I just find these movies mostly boring and wasting my time.

But hey.. I'm happy everyone else seemed to get something from it!

• Like 1

Listening to this episode was like watching kids open presents on Christmas morning, beside themselves with unbridled joy.

Under threat from an assassin (Jason Statham) hell-bent on revenge for the death of his terrorist brother, Agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) must recruit disgraced homicide detective David Mills (Brad Pitt) to untangle the mystery of Han's death in Tokyo. Mills, still haunted by the murder of his wife, reluctantly accepts Hobbs' offer on one condition: they rescue his former partner (Morgan Freeman) from a prison orbiting the Moon.

FAST & FURIOUS SE7EN

Screenplay by Paul Scheer & Jason Mantzoukas.

• Like 8

The asian guy on Shaw's team with the martial arts skills is in The Raid: Redemption. He's not the main guy, but the slightly older cop with the mustache who has the first major hand-to-hand fight with the main bad guy.

You guys touched on it a little bit, but Tokyo Drift was not originally set in the future. At the time, Paul Walker and Vin Diesel didn't want to do another Fast & Furious movie because they thought they were going to be big stars in other movies (Vin had dropped out of the franchise before 2 Fast, 2 Furious; which was the reason Tyrese was brought in for that movie), so they did a spin-off movie and Justin Lin directed it. So Lin has actually directed four F&F movies. Tokyo Drift and the last three regular F&F movies. Prior to F&F4, the F&F movies did OK, but nothing crazy, so I doubt Walker and Diesel were getting offered much for their roles.

Lin brought in Han (Sung Kang) who had actually been in an earlier Lin film, and then Han dies in Tokyo Drift (that post-credit sequence was the scene of Han's death taken from Tokyo Drift.) *Spoiler Alert* At the end of Tokyo Drift, Vin Diesel does a cameo by showing up in the last race with Lucas Black, after Han's death, and says he was good friends with Han. But there was nothing to suggest that Tokyo Drift took place many years in the future. It was kind of just a last ditch effort to save the franchise.

Tokyo Drift didn't actually do that well, so it was unclear whether there would ever be another F&F movie anyways and weren't really setting anything up for the future. However, Walker and Diesel both failed in their big time movie careers so they were willing to come back for F&F4. It's unclear why, but Michelle Rodriguez is barely in F&F4. She's briefly in the beginning and then she "dies" off-screen and it's only referenced in flashbacks. The opening scenes also involve a job with Dom and his new team, which includes Han - but Han has only a very brief part too, before Dom heads back to LA to find out who killed Lettie. At the time, it just seemed like a token reference to Han to include Tokyo Drift in the F&F timeline. However, as a result of the success of F&F4 (which was kind of a surprise), Lin set up this whole prequel thing where the last three movies somehow took place before Tokyo Drift

I was pretty certain Giselle would die (and that she will remain dead) because they had to manipulate Han's story to justify why he was alone in Tokyo for the plot of Tokyo Drift. It wouldn't make sense if Giselle was still alive since Han would be with her and they would be together in Tokyo, but she's not in the movie Tokyo Drift. So I figured they'd kill her to make Tokyo Drift make sense and then fit in the post-credit sequence with the Tokyo Drift scene.

• Like 3

Gisele explains why Han is constantly eating in Fast Five:

Gisele: I got out of the military probably the same time you quit smoking. The amount of chips you eat, the way you always have to keep your hands and mouth busy, you were a two-pack-a-day man for sure.

If there is a Fast and Furious/Crank crossover, my balls will explode in a mushroom cloud of joy.

BTW guys, NOS is a real thing. Racers with shitty cars use Nitrous Oxide as an automatic boost of HP when they inject it into their engines during combustion. Very dangerous, and can destroy your shit if overused. They made an energy drink based off of that, which I am certain can also destroy your shit if overused (or used in general).

• Like 2

The asian guy on Shaw's team with the martial arts skills is in The Raid: Redemption. He's not the main guy, but the slightly older cop with the mustache who has the first major hand-to-hand fight with the main bad guy.

You guys touched on it a little bit, but Tokyo Drift was not originally set in the future. At the time, Paul Walker and Vin Diesel didn't want to do another Fast & Furious movie because they thought they were going to be big stars in other movies (Vin had dropped out of the franchise before 2 Fast, 2 Furious; which was the reason Tyrese was brought in for that movie), so they did a spin-off movie and Justin Lin directed it. So Lin has actually directed four F&F movies. Tokyo Drift and the last three regular F&F movies. Prior to F&F4, the F&F movies did OK, but nothing crazy, so I doubt Walker and Diesel were getting offered much for their roles.

Lin brought in Han (Sung Kang) who had actually been in an earlier Lin film, and then Han dies in Tokyo Drift (that post-credit sequence was the scene of Han's death taken from Tokyo Drift.) *Spoiler Alert* At the end of Tokyo Drift, Vin Diesel does a cameo by showing up in the last race with Lucas Black, after Han's death, and says he was good friends with Han. But there was nothing to suggest that Tokyo Drift took place many years in the future. It was kind of just a last ditch effort to save the franchise.

Tokyo Drift didn't actually do that well, so it was unclear whether there would ever be another F&F movie anyways and weren't really setting anything up for the future. However, Walker and Diesel both failed in their big time movie careers so they were willing to come back for F&F4. It's unclear why, but Michelle Rodriguez is barely in F&F4. She's briefly in the beginning and then she "dies" off-screen and it's only referenced in flashbacks. The opening scenes also involve a job with Dom and his new team, which includes Han - but Han has only a very brief part too, before Dom heads back to LA to find out who killed Lettie. At the time, it just seemed like a token reference to Han to include Tokyo Drift in the F&F timeline. However, as a result of the success of F&F4 (which was kind of a surprise), Lin set up this whole prequel thing where the last three movies somehow took place before Tokyo Drift

I was pretty certain Giselle would die (and that she will remain dead) because they had to manipulate Han's story to justify why he was alone in Tokyo for the plot of Tokyo Drift. It wouldn't make sense if Giselle was still alive since Han would be with her and they would be together in Tokyo, but she's not in the movie Tokyo Drift. So I figured they'd kill her to make Tokyo Drift make sense and then fit in the post-credit sequence with the Tokyo Drift scene.

Great breakdown. This was a success that no one saw coming and that goes to show you how Justin Lin is a masterful director. In a Nerdist article he breaks down the vision he had coming in and how hard it was to get everyone (the original cast) to come back and do another one, and also, how great it was that Vin Diesel decided to do the cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift. Apparently he revealed his plan to Vin and Vin was down for it.

And yeah, I do think that Vin thought he was going to be a bigger action star than he is now. And he had three real good action movies under his belt, but he never popped. That's why I think he's so protective of the Dom and Riddick characters, because those are the only way he is gonna be in a big blockbuster movie as the lead.

Paul Walker on the other hand...

You guys have to watch Tokoyo Drift now. I've always enjoyed it, and now it adds a bunch of character to how Han acts in TD.

When I was in the theater and they started showing tokoyo drift, I was like "Oh man, are they gonna say Han's really alive? NOPE" lol, i love it. holy shit.