๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
admin

Episode 63 โ€” Fast & Furious 6

What sound does an explosion make? There you go, slap THAT on the marquee.

ย 

"Car Go Boom: The Movie"?

Great podcast, and I don't know if someone else made the same comment cause I'm not reading them all. My only reservation (regarding the podcast, the movie was as Jason put it, 'Flawless').

ย 

You discussed the amazing scene where Vin Diesel leapt across the bridge to save Michelle Rodriguez. What about in the initial chase scene where the Rock jumps from a truck going upwards of ~120mph onto a car ~50 feet lower also going upwards of 120mph. Like it was nothing. More evidence to support the theory that all the characters are superheroes. Disprove this theory!

ย 

And I would absolutely 100% sign a petition to get the hosts of HDTGM + Adam Scott to write Fast 7.

Marko Zaror also did stunts for the Rock. He's a beast. He's in Machette Kills, the amazing Mirageman and the awful Kiltro. He's a Chilean Statham. Badass.

ย 

• Like 1

Gisele explains why Han is constantly eating in Fast Five:

ย 

ย 

ย 

The smoking thing...even MORE BONKERS is that is an allusion to Han from a totally, otherwise, unrelated Justin Lin movie, Better Luck Tomorrow, also played by Sung Kang, and is the sort-of origin story of how Han became a criminal, without really explaining the jump to cars and how/when his connection with the Yakuza in Drift happened, unless what we just saw actually took place not in current times. The linear map of these movies is LITERALLY BONKERS.

• Like 1

Can't wait to listen to this one tonight, I loved this movie. This is one of the franchises where I kind of let EVERYTHING slide, and just enjoy the ride. Did not disappoint.

ย 

Nice to see you guys doing relevant movies again.

ย 

Edit: Hope you guys talk about the runway scene, and how ridiculously LONG that runway had to have been.

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

ย 

The smoking thing...even MORE BONKERS is that is an allusion to Han from a totally, otherwise, unrelated Justin Lin movie, Better Luck Tomorrow, also played by Sung Kang, and is the sort-of origin story of how Han became a criminal, without really explaining the jump to cars and how/when his connection with the Yakuza in Drift happened, unless what we just saw actually took place not in current times. The linear map of these movies is LITERALLY BONKERS.

ย 

It's not unrelated in that it shows Han's continued life of crime though not as violent as in Better Luck Tomorrow.

ย 

Aww, poor John Singleton. Has he fallen so far that he's now John Singleton of 'Abduction' fame instead of John Singleton of 'Boyz n the Hood' fame or John Singleton of 'Poetic Justice' fame? Admittedly, his 21st Century career is pretty sad when compared to his 20th Century career.

ย 

For the record I was 5 years old in 1991 when "Boyz n the hood" first came out... And I have never seen that movie... I will see it this weekend

ย 

For the record I was 5 years old in 1991 when "Boyz n the hood" first came out... And I have never seen that movie... I will see it this weekend

ย 

Get ready to be bummed out. That movie always makes me really sad.

Great podcast. Justin Lin also directed 3 episodes from the first season of Community, including the amazing paintball episode.

I feel like the movie itself is somehow ashamed of containing Jordana Brewster, because she's essentially absent from all the marketing.

I just had to post this gem I found in the description of Jenna Marbles' newest video. She usually makes them insanely long and rambling and without punctuation and they have nothing to do with the video and make little sense, but this got me.

ย 

so the other night right after I saw Fast and Furious 6 (which was mind blowing by the way and I actually piddled in my pants a little at that one part when Dom and Michelle Rodriguez fly across that bridge into each others arms which is completely fucking unrealistic because she was being catapulted by a tank into the air and he just straight up crashed his car into a barrier and jumped and they somehow had the same projection height which is just not even plausible on a planet with a fourth of the gravity that we have let alone motherfucking earth and I literally laughed out loud because it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen because she like tips her head back and looks at the sky and has her arms back all like, woooaaaah look at me and my flowing raven colored hair and little tank top that shows off my nippy nips flying through the sky but it also somehow looks like I'm being abducted by aliens and or I'm possessed right now and pretty sure some priest is going to come and exercise the demons from me and they collide into each other mid air and then he still somehow has enough forward motion to propel her backwards and onto a car on the same side of the divider that she was on like come on so not even anything that would happen in my dream when everything is make believe

ย 

I just really enjoyed this description

• Like 2

I find it kind of hilarious how June has slowly made it obvious that she loves bald men in general. Vin Diesel, Jason Statham, Paul Scheer... Just a funny little quirk that keeps coming up.

Please do the movie, John Dies at the End. I need to know if it's good or not

ย 

It's a pretty good movie if you can tolerate how fucking weird it gets. Imagine Twin Peaks and the X-Files on LSD.

• Like 1

I purpose a 2 hour mega-episode for the first 4 movies ("The Fast and the Furious (2001)" "2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)" "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)" and "Fast & Furious (2009)") to average 30mins of discussion for each movie

:D

ย 

I would like to see them do this for each episode but that's wishful thinking. Maybe once a year do a fast and furious movie review.

ย 

If you guys had to pick the worst one what would it be out of all of them? I have not seen all of them yet. but i have slowly watching the all, as they showed up on cable and so I have enjoyed the last two so much I wanted to see the other ones. They are crazy movies to watch and just good fun.

hey paul, just wanted to let you know a few things about this flick you guys mentioned on the podcast. i'm sure others have already commented on it but what's one more.

ย 

In Fast 5 they mention how Han used to be a smoker and how he now uses chips as his habit instead of smoking.

ย 

in 2 Fast 2 Furious, Roman tells Bryan that the reason he eats so much is because when he was in prison the food was so bad, that it made him appreciate the food outside of prison.

ย 

love the show

Yeah John Dies at the End was pretty awesome. But it should be on the show. Because it does make me wonder how a studio greenlit this one... I'd love to hear what the three have to say about it.

I Dont think Vin Diesel was actually there for a bunch of that scene toward the end at the picnic(get together whatever). The insane giant headed Rock shot I feel like was a bad composite job because in the next shot their heads are not as crazy out of proportion. Also that weird standing next to each other not looking thing? Also When blond lady talks to Vin Diesel in that scene I swear they took one frame of him with a dumb expression on his face and used it for easily 2 minutes. He doesn't move at all. If you watch the movie pay attention to this it will blow your mind. The alternative is he was there with a stupid looking grin and didnt move at all standing perfectly still not blinking while she acted at him.

ย 

The computers in this movie are so wonderfully dumb. They have red lettering on a black background which is awful to read. They beep and boop like star trek computers. Another poster said it actually said "cross referencing" when Luda did a search on it. Which I didnt catch but I totally believe happened. What the fuck is with this shit still being in movies We all know what computers look & sound like by now!

ย 

The ever present shifting-up or foot to the floor shot when already at full speed which makes no sense because you should already be in top gear with your foot to the floor if in the middle of a high speed chase.

ย 

I thought this movie was not as good as the last one. Way too much talking. If you wanna talk get in the car and yell to each other while driving. I dont think there was a real action scene in the first 20 minutes. Also I never quite understood what was going on with the bad guys like what they had just done or were going to do and why we care that they are stopped.

ย 

That british guy rape scene was so weird why wouldnt they cut after "we'll need the pants too" that is the joke. Actually watching the guy take off his pants was soo violating and awkward like if the rock had thrown that guy to the ground and fucked him it wouldnt have seemed out of place by the point the scene ended at. That british guy was like a cartoon character standing in front of British landmarks as he talked down to them.

ย 

I think the rock was hungry at the beginning of this movie he kept saying things like grilled and smoked and cookies. Dom walked out of that Plane crash like he was the terminator. I bet When the rock holds a gun to faces he wants to lift one eyebrow soo bad but I bet if he ever makes his eyebrows uneven for one second he owes vince mcmahon a million dollars

ย 

The next movie the baby should drive a car.

• Like 1

Please do the movie, John Dies at the End. I need to know if it's good or not

ย 

You should see it regardless... The movie is bonkers-bananas and the HDTGM guys and gal explaining it (or attempting to do so) is going to be that times 10

ย 

I personally liked it...

ย 

Here is a taste of the soy sauce-- I mean the soundtrack...

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9SAT4MKit0&fmt=22&hd=1

ย 

You never know. Statham didn't look back. Maybe the explosion turned slightly to the left.

ย 

Okay if it was any other franchise, this would be a crazy piece of fanfic, but for FF I think it is not. Han, somehow, survived the car crash and the explosion. Jason Statham is Owen Shaw's brother (he's already credited on IMDB as Ian Shaw), and after Dom & the Gang killed his little brother, Jason realizes that family IS the most important thing and starts tracking down each member and killing them. He finds Han first, "kills him," and Dom finds out and realizes that Statham is hunting them down one by one. He calls the gang together, they have a memorial for Han, and then go work on their plan against Statham. Who walks in? HAN. HE'S ALIVE. Action, action, action, some fights, some car chases, an explosion. Jason Statham is there and sees Han, realizes that somehow he escaped certain death. He runs at Han, whether on foot or in a car, and is about to kill him in hand-to-hand combat. Like Han is literally seconds away from definite death. BAM! There's a gun at Statham's temple. Camera pans to the side. IT'S GISELLE! She looks at Han and says, "this is what we do."

ย 

That said, does anyone have a total for the amount of damage done in this movie? I mean, it has to be in the billions of dollars, at least.

That said, does anyone have a total for the amount of damage done in this movie? I mean, it has to be in the billions of dollars, at least.

ย 

I've seen/heard a bunch of people mention how many collateral deaths and property damage result from the action scenes in these movies. It would be funny if someone made a parallel-narrative short film that took place in the F&F universe that was essentially a disaster movie.

I enjoyed the ever-loving fuck out of this movie, but some things about it did annoy me; the ridiculous, global-scale stakes and the runway length being the most prominent examples. They just seemed really lazy, easily fixed problems to me. Like, that whole highway chase scene where Dom flies with Letty to land on a car for safety (also kind of annoying) could have been in the direction of Bonneville Salt Flats or something (it's vaguely in the Southwest, so why not?). You wouldn't even need a runway and the plane could do all sorts of jukes and jives along your 100 mile takeoff path. Plus, it'd be a more visually appealing setting than just a strip of asphalt.

ย 

Also, I'm sorry guys, but Ludacris and Tyrese are almost as fucking useless garbage as Mia (she's basically Princess Toadstool; just there to need to get rescued).

ย 

Anyway, as someone as douchey and elitist as I am to actually enjoy this movie, even with Vin Diesel landing on a car windshield like it was a safety airbag, is just more evidence to how fucking great it actually is. I walked out of this thing with the mental boner of a 14-year-old adolescent and I loved it. Justin Lin made me LIKE a movie with Ludacris in it. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?!?

ย 

P.S. I am in love with the Rock. IN. LOVE.