🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

End Of Watch is one of the best missed opportunities to be a good movie I've seen all year. The movie is about two cops played by Jake Gyllenhal and Michael who are cops in South Central Los Angeles. Jake Gyllenhal's character Officer Taylor is recording there day to day patrols for an art class that he is taking. Officer Taylor is joined by a cast of hardened witty smack talking cops that all sound like they watched 48 hours and The Shield way too many times. The movie starts with a pretty good chase seen where Jack Gyllenhal gives an amazing speech about being a police officer as you watch a high speed police chase from the point of view of the police car camera that ends with a gang shoot out but from that scene the movie is all done hill from there. It's not necessarily a bad movie, it actually starts off pretty good until about 15 or 25 minutes into the movie where the point of view of the story changes and it makes no sense. I film then follows the strangest beats going from jokes about being single and a cop to scenes of gratuitous violence that seem hap hazardly thrown in. Please please review this so I can see if I'm over analyzing this movie or is it just the down fall of Jake Gyllenhal's career. This was also made by the same writer as "Training Day", "U-571", "The Fast and The Furious", and "Swat" (I wrote them in the order of quality)

end_of_watch_ver3.jpg

While this movie is clearly wrong for the show, I tried to watch it this past weekend and couldn't even get past the 15-minute mark. Ugh. Not believable for a second, and the faux-documentary style just makes it worse.

• Like 1

Alcohol helped get through it. I thought it would be a perfect fit for the show because of the randomness between scenes. Characters that are established and then never brought up again and the irrational span of time this movie has. These two beat cops randomly stumble into more trouble randomly and just happen to be carrying a camera. You gotta try and watch it again and try to make it to the WORST sex scene i've ever seen in a movie. where it looks like they filmed two people kissing for 2 minutes and then looped it for eight minutes

While this movie is clearly wrong for the show, I tried to watch it this past weekend and couldn't even get past the 15-minute mark. Ugh. Not believable for a second, and the faux-documentary style just makes it worse.

"found footage" movies almost always fall very flat. Even the blair witch project (which I think kind of pioneered that stuff, could be wrong) was boring to me.

"found footage" movies almost always fall very flat. Even the blair witch project (which I think kind of pioneered that stuff, could be wrong) was boring to me.

I liked the film, but the handheld approach just seemed pretty weird. I mean, the stuff that WASN'T being shot by the characters in the film looked exactly the same as the stuff that was, so it kind of betrays the gimmick. I got used to it, but I really think it would have been more effective if they'd actually mixed filming styles, like it could've cut back and forth between gritty and in your face when you're seeing a character's POV to cleaner and more cinematic look when it pulled back to show everything that was going on. I don't know, maybe that would have been too jarring. That reminds me, I haven't watched "Natural Born Killers" in forever...

It felt like the writer was trying to write training day meets Lethal Weapon. The writer of this movie was also the writer of Training Day, so WTF happened.

While there were certainly issues with the cinematography I actually liked the pacing of the film. Whereas in most cop films everyone is super hard and serious all the time, "End of Watch" interspaced the serious side of the job with dirty jokes and bullshitting which seemed more realistic. Plus the villains name is Big Evil. Way to fly in the face of subtly.