đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
ScottyB

The Cannonball Run (1981)

Not quite Fast and Furious but...

Burt Reynolds & Farrah Fawcett

Dom DeLuise (another car movie with a "Dom")

Sammy Davis Jr & Dean Martin..."Rat Pack" as priests in a Ferrari

Jackie Chan...(who beats up Peter Fonda)

Adrianne Barbeau showing so much cleavage Jason could build an entire episode on that alone.

And Terry Bradshaw & Mel Tillis...just because.

(Available in its entirety on YouTube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2hGFN8NlLQ

• Like 1

I haven't seen it, but it does look like a mix of the best and the worse of the 70's, wrapped up in one movie. I need to watch this sometime.

Well, the movie was really fun and it was the time when Burt Reynolds was at the peak of his career, so studios used to feel that any movie with him in it would work, even if is crappy.

There's a great article on the Agony Booth about Burt Reynolds' collaborations with the director of "Cannonball Run" (who also did "Stroker Ace" and "Smokey and the Bandit" with him, and movies like "Rad" without). It makes it clear how, over time, the two of them stopped trying to make movies that were fun for the audience in favor of having fun on set without regarding the end product (also known as the Adam Sandler method).

Wow!! I didn't know that Cannonball had sequels, just goes to show what lengths Hollywood would go to, once it faces creative bankruptcy.

I LOVE this movie in the most HDTGM way possible. I would love to see them tackle more high profile crap from the past like this.

To this day, that Doctor holding his middle finger under Burt Reynolds nose and saying, "All I ever really use is THIS!" is still one of my favorite moments in cinema.

I don't know, when I think of 1980s car racing movies I think of Banjo Music. there is something about that delightful sounds of a banjo playing as cars race by the camara and if Burt Reynolds is behind the wheel of that car well thats just pure magic.

Watched this last night and came to make sure it had been recommended by someone.

One thing I look for in seeking out movies for a non-ironic watch is how much name recognition they have. A planned (I think now-cancalled) Lego movie  was going to be “like Cannonball Run.” A minor-leage baseball team near-ish me has changed their name to “The Cannonballers.” I feel like society tricked me into watching this. I have learned the lesson that “culturally significant” does not always equal “good.”

Would I have enjoyed it more if I had gone into it as an intentional so-bonkers-its-good kind of watch? I dunno, maybe. Wouldn’t have fixed all the racial stereotypes, but overall it would have been a more watchable movie. But it becoming an HDTGM movie that I’ve seen would make if worthwhile.

I’m a little but short on time right now, but I may come back later and talk about the actual bonkers things in the movie itself.

On 6/12/2013 at 4:16 AM, stellamarch16 said:

Wow!! I didn't know that Cannonball had sequels, just goes to show what lengths Hollywood would go to, once it faces creative bankruptcy.

It is also kind of a remake (or ripoff, more accurately) of a film called The Gumball Rally, which was one of many street racing-centric films in the 70s, and which apparently was directed by a different former stuntman, not Burt Reynolds' pal (and Megaforce director) Hal Needham.

2 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

It is also kind of a remake (or ripoff, more accurately) of a film called The Gumball Rally, which was one of many street racing-centric films in the 70s, and which apparently was directed by a different former stuntman, not Burt Reynolds' pal (and Megaforce director) Hal Needham.

He also directed the HDTGM classic Rad!

• Like 1