🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Darian

After Earth

I heard "After Earth" is a spiritual successor to Battlefield Earth, due to the fact they're both allegories for Scientology and are both comically god awful films. Also they both take place on earth 1000 years in the future.

Didn't Jason Say in the BFE episode that he wished the sequels where directed by M. Night!

Make sure to vote fo it in the FYI.

the Walking Dead video game that came out last year.

Which, no joke, was the best movie I played last year. That shit was fantastic, and miles ahead of the show. Someday I'll need to check out the comics.

I heard "After Earth" is a spiritual successor to Battlefield Earth, due to the fact they're both allegories for Scientology

Not having seen it, how is After Erff an allegory for Scientology? I am curious (yellow).

• Like 1

Well, I'm going to subject myself to this later today. I'll be sure to report back all the madness.

• Like 1

Okay, so honestly I wish this had been terrrrrible so I could have enjoyed it on a so-bad-its-good level, but it was mostly just...there. Sort of lifelessly occupying the screen, moving unimaginatively from one point to the next. There are worse ways to spend an hour and a half, really. Definite plot problems. It feels more like an outline than a story.

Don't think it would be fun for the show, though.

• Like 1

I'd like to share some excerpts from an interview Will and Jaden recently did that I found quite entertaining.

Will: I'm a student of patterns. At heart, I'm a physicist. I look at everything in my life as trying to find the single equation, the theory of everything.

Will: Like for Best Actor Oscars. Almost 90 percent of the time, it’s mental illness and historical figures, right?

Jaden: [Points to his dad.] Like you worked in your family business with your dad. I’m just working in my family business with my dad. Patterns, boom.

Jaden: I think that there is that special equation for everything, but I don't think our mathematics have evolved enough for us to even – I think there's, like, a whole new mathematics that we'd have to learn to get that equation.

Will: I agree with that.

Jaden: It's beyond mathematical. It's, like, multidimensional mathematical, if you can sort of understand what I'm saying.

Now I understand that Jaden is only 14, but the fact that he has a father who not only talks out of his ass but seems to encourage his son to is not a good sign.

I think this also shows how Will could be so out of touch that he thought this was not only a good movie but one his son could carry.

Other random observations/thoughts:

1)The spaceship is made of toilet paper

2)Will sends his son up an active volcano despite the fact that there are nearby mountains that are not active volcanoes

3)Why does Jaden's supersuit not have a helmet?

4)Why does Will not use a tourniquet on his injured leg?

5)There was some kind of vague message about our relationship to Earth with the buffalo shot and the end shot with the humpback whales, but I don't really know what it was because I'm pretty sure it's stupid

4)Why does Will not use a tourniquet on his injured leg?

I was wondering about that when I read what Will Smith is doing for most of the movie. You would also think the magic suits they wear would have had the ability to constrict in certain areas if needed.

Having just got back from seeing Now You See Me it was the right choice as that movie was pretty good. It had some decent humor and a decent twist to go in line with the overall theme of the movie, so much to the point that one bitch at the back of the theater was loudly expressing her disbelief.

The commercials made it look like a weird premise, plus RT gave it something in the 40s.

Yeah, I found all the previews for Now You See Me extremely cheeseball. It felt like a rental.

Yeah, I found all the previews for Now You See Me extremely cheeseball. It felt like a rental.

Also, the director is Louis Leterrier, who did the transporter 1 and 2. Then some crap like the titans movies and the Edward Norton Hulk fail.

That movie looks super boring. I have a feeling that the twist is "real" magic somewhere in there.

God damn you guys. I had no intention of seeing this movie, but the more people say DON'T see it, the more curious I become. It's something I can't help. It's like when people say don't look down in movies. I gotta look down! AAAAAHHHH I'M FALLING TO MY DEATH NOOOOWWW!

Will Smith is legitimately one of my favorite actors, I guess the goodwill of Fresh Prince, Independence Day, etc will never really wear off for me, and I'll also never not respect him for being a black man who managed to make himself one of the biggest movie stars ever. I think unfortunately the same thing that made him a big star; choosing movies he thinks follow a pattern, is what's now killing that career. He needs to take more risks, be a little less calculated, and start picking films more for how good the scripts are and not for how prominent his part will be and what trends the movie follows. Get it together Will!

Also, the director is Louis Leterrier, who did the transporter 1 and 2. Then some crap like the titans movies and the Edward Norton Hulk fail.

That movie looks super boring. I have a feeling that the twist is "real" magic somewhere in there.

If it stared Jason Statham as a magician whose specialty was punching people in the throat, I'd be interested.

• Like 3

The twist didn't involve real magic, though that was a part of the movie, it was more about who was leading this group of magicians and why they were doing what they were doing. The movie is sort of like a 20 something Prestige.

The "is magic real" statement kinda reminds me of The Illusionist. It bothered me that they toyed around with the whole "is his magic real or an illusion" plot idea the whole time, while his tricks were supposed to be doable a century ago and yet were all obvious CGI. It makes it hard to believe that he was a skilled illusionist when a props department with a large budget can't even do the tricks with all of today's technology and trick camera work.

I felt like at the end of that movie Paul Giamatti should have dropped a coffee mug with "Kobyashi" stamped on the bottom.

/side rant

M. Night. is the king of the No-Payoff.

Made me think of another no payoff.

Sign in to follow this